Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: terminal and end care

Length
    APL/25"/32"
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Default terminal and end care

I've searched the threads, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question....I've heard over and over that fairytale ends are a sign of reaching terminal length. I've noticed mine are a tad thin, and all different lengths- which I know is also normal since hair doesn't all grow at the same rate, etc., but I'm terrified it could mean either my ends need more TLC, or I'm nearing terminal length.

My hair has actually been longer than this previously, and I *do* know my grandmother's side (all Cherokee Indian) had extremely long hair. My mom and her sisters have long hair (well, my mom cut hers off but used to). I know genetics play a role in terminal length.

Anyway, my end goal is actually hip, so that's why I'm a little panicked about this terminal business. I'm going to search more on here about end care, but if anyone has anything positive or whatnot, please chime in :/

also, I *do* wear my hair up, 95% of the time because I work, and it's too flipping hot to have darn near waist length hair on my back.
    Henna head. Goal of hip

Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: terminal and end care

I'm pretty sure fairytale ends aren't a sure sign of terminal. If you let your hair grow without trimming, it will eventually fairytale because hair grows at different speeds all over your head, but it will keep growing. At least that's my understanding of it. Don't worry.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Hair at terminal will have fairytale ends, yes, but the reverse isn't true. Any hair that hasn't been trimmed in a while, particularly if some hairs grow faster than others (more true for some people than others, apparently) will have some fairytaling after a few months or years.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I wouldn't worry either. I agree with the posters above, fairytale ends do happen, even if you haven't reached terminal length yet. I'm past hip, and I'm pretty sure my hair started to subtly fairytale at around waist length - it just happens, especially if you haven't trimmed awhile. I'm in the no trimming 2012 challenge and haven't trimmed since September 2011, so yes, my hair has thinned out some towards the ends. Do I worry that I'm at terminal length? No. I'd only really worry if after about half a year you haven't seen any growth.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/25"/32"
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

*whew* Thank you ladies. I know it sounds silly, but I nearly had a stroke last night wondering if I've done something wrong or reached terminal so soon :/ I usually practice benign neglect, and don't really fuss over my hair, but not being able to reach hip would literally devastate me (don't laugh).
    Henna head. Goal of hip

Length
    22"/31.5"/CLSC
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I agree with the above posters. My hair started to fairytale at WL, so I cut it back to exactly WL again (30") to thicken up the hemline and it's still growing roughly 0.5" per month. I think it just started to fairytale because I was only trimming once a year, and my hair grows more on one side than the other. I know I'm not at terminal yet.
    Lady Diana of the Moonlit Night in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL (32") ~ BCL (37") ~ TB ~ CLSC (43")

Length
    waist/hip/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by anikadear View Post
    *whew* Thank you ladies. I know it sounds silly, but I nearly had a stroke last night wondering if I've done something wrong or reached terminal so soon :/ I usually practice benign neglect, and don't really fuss over my hair, but not being able to reach hip would literally devastate me (don't laugh).
    Totally not laughing, I understand. I've had the terminal panic before too, and for the same reason. Just keep being nice to your hair, and don't even worry about the terminal thing until your hair has gone a few years without trims and hasn't budged an inch. And even then, don't panic.

Length
    APL/25"/32"
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Thank you so much for that I'm a little panicked but I'll be babying my ends from now on.
    Henna head. Goal of hip

Length
    SL+/BSL-/HIP!
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

I understand that fear, OP. I've never had hair longer than it is now, to my understanding, and the thought that I wouldn't be able to reach long lengths (even BSL) terrifies me :/

(Stretched) - Shoulder+. Armpit.BSL!. MidbackWaist. HIP!
    (Curly) - Shoulder+. Armpit. BSL. Midback. Waist. HIP!

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

I also agree with the posters above. I have always kept my hair trimmed in a straight even hemline until recently, and so my hair has finally begun to show signs of fairytale ends (at thigh-length). But hair often grows at different rates and the hair at the bottom of your head (closest to neckline) will look longer than the hair at the top of your head if you let it grow normally I think.

I have heard that everyone has a different terminal length which depends on their genetics.

Also, I was looking up terminal length and I came across this blog which I think is cool!
    http://beautyway2life.blogspot.com/2...air-women.html
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen