Thread: Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

Got the idea from this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4K9AgIn_Q
    (Basically you use an oil (natural, MO) post shampoo (and rinse it out) but pre rinse-out conditioner.)

Turns out meteor has some experience with this method already, and I'm glad she shared her experiences with it (Kinky 4's thread, no-trimming thread).

It's worth it giving it a shot, ladies & gents!

I tried it for the first time today, and to ease into it, I used 5 drops of MO pre-shampoo instead of post-shampoo. I didn't want oily hair, so I tried it before shampoo to check and see what it would be like. I like it so far. The test will be post-shampoo and pre-conditioner, and I will try this next Sunday (wash day) with 3 drops of MO, just... steady as she goes. I am only using oil on the lengths/ends and not on the scalp!

Who else wants to try?
    Last edited by lapushka; January 25th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    25"/35.5"/---
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Rinse-out oil

Meeeeeeeeeee! I actually have used your first method quite a bit, and I liked it, but I want to try it too on the post wash part
    25.-.26.-.27.-.28.-.29.-.30.-.31.-.32.-.33.-.34.-.35.5.-.36.-.37.-.38.-.39.-.40.-.41.-.42.-.43.-.44.-.45
    stopped hair dye/bleach since 22.12.2014

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wilderwein View Post
    Meeeeeeeeeee! I actually have used your first method quite a bit, and I liked it, but I want to try it too on the post wash part
    I think lots of people have tried oil pre-shampoo, it's a pre-poo method, very popular. That's what prompted me to try this first as it's been around for God knows how long and isn't reported to be "oily" or "greasy" in its results. The test will be post-shampoo!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Awesome thread, lapushka! How do you use oil-rinsing before shampooing: do you wet your hair, then spread oil, then WCC?
    I've never thought of doing this pre-shampoo, but then I already do do pre-poo oiling on dry hair anyway.

I've only done oil rinsing in-between shampoo and conditioning, kind of like an oil booster to conditioner. I can't do this too often, or my hair gets greasy, but it's great for dry, coarse hair and is a great help for detangling hair, making hair super-soft and dramatically reducing frizz and static.

I think this method originates from natural kinky-curly hair community. And there are lots of helpful YouTube videos on this! Check them out!

Length
    25"/35.5"/---
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

OH GREAT!
    now about oils! Does olive oil and jojoba oil work? Can I use any oil in the world?
    25.-.26.-.27.-.28.-.29.-.30.-.31.-.32.-.33.-.34.-.35.5.-.36.-.37.-.38.-.39.-.40.-.41.-.42.-.43.-.44.-.45

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Awesome thread, lapushka! How do you use oil-rinsing before shampooing: do you wet your hair, then spread oil, then WCC?
    I've never thought of doing this pre-shampoo, but then I already do do pre-poo oiling on dry hair anyway.
    What happened this Sunday? Wet hair thoroughly, wrung most of the wetness out. Used 5 drops of MO, spread through palms, and applied to ends only (didn't dare use it on the full lengths of it). Then it was immediately rinsed out. Just a tiny rinse, not long. Then shampoo as usual. Wrung the wetness out. Put first conditioner into it. Left for 2 min., rinsed out. Used second conditioner on wrung-out hair. Left 2 min., then rinsed out. Wrung hair out. Put into turbie for 15 to 20 min. Then combed with a wide-tooth comb and styled using the LOC method. Well, actually, it's LCO in my case. A 2 eurocoin's worth of leave-in spread over the lengths, then the same amount of gel scrunched in. Then the same amount of serum, spread through palms and then scrunched in.

That's it.

Hair is dry, and is nice and soft! I esp. like my ends and they're not oily.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wilderwein View Post
    OH GREAT!
    now about oils! Does olive oil and jojoba oil work? Can I use any oil in the world?
    I've never tried it with jojoba, but I hope other LHC-ers will chime in. Olive was wayyyy too heavy for me. It took me a few washes to get it out. But let this not deter you from experimenting: it may work for you beautifully!

One word of caution: if one has fine, straight hair and struggles with volume, oil-rinsing may be way too heavy. Use something light (e.g. grapeseed, mineral) and really small amounts.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    One word of caution: if one has fine, straight hair and struggles with volume, oil-rinsing may be way too heavy. Use something light (e.g. grapeseed, mineral) and really small amounts.
    Oh yes, definitely. Go slow with it. I have F hair (it *is* textured, but still F). That's why I was so cautious.

Length
    25"/35.5"/---
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Hmmm I have a oil that it claims to be a dry oil wich basicaly has lots of oils on it and you can use it on your body and skin too, so I will try that first (wich surely it will rinse easier than olive oil)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Thanks so much for this information, lapushka! It's great to know that it works even with WCC and LOC (or LCO) in the same wash cycle! Yay!