Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default The LOC/LCO method

L = leave-in or liquid
    O = oil
    C = cream

This is a styling method for dry periods, such as wintertime.

Here's a YT video on it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH3T6fD1Cv4

I use 2 out of the three after my hair gets washed, and that is a leave-in and a serum/oil. I don't use cream after, but a gel. Just with the two I use it is magical for frizzy hair.
    Last edited by lapushka; January 31st, 2019 at 06:50 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: The Loc method

I understood the L stood for liquid not leave in, ie. the moisture (= water) one is aiming to seal in. I notice a lot of people on NC and Facebook hair groups using LOC but there seems to be a huge amount of variation in what the letters/ names stand for - some seem to be using occlusives (oils and butters) for all three steps which I strongly suspect misses the point of layering different ingredients. At some point there ought to be something rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) for it to be truly conditioning and balanced.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    I understood the L stood for liquid not leave in, ie. the moisture (= water) one is aiming to seal in.<snip>
    Maybe THIS is why my hair behaves, looks and feels much better when I go to bed with it wet. When I go to bed with dry hair I'm almost guaranteed a bad hair day.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yes, this method is very popular among curlies, especially in the natural hair care community, but it's overwhelming for my fine hair. I like some creams/butters, but I prefer not to layer that on top of oils, or I get waxy build-up.
    I always do the first 2 steps of the LOC method though.
    To be honest, I've never seen any explanation of why putting creamy/buttery product on top of oil is recommended... Why exactly is it good for hair? Maybe they just mean the "C" to work as a styling gel to tame extra-curly hair?

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Yes, this method is very popular among curlies, especially in the natural hair care community, but it's overwhelming for my fine hair. I like some creams/butters, but I prefer not to layer that on top of oils, or I get waxy build-up.
    To be honest, I've never seen any explanation of why putting creamy/buttery product on top of oil is recommended... Why exactly is it good for hair? Maybe they just mean the "C" to work as a styling gel to tame extra-curly hair?

I could be wrong, but from what I understand you want the moisture, then use the oil to seal the moisture in, and then use a cream to style it. HTH
    Lady Rhiannon, Grand OverSeer of Mischief and Mayhem, keeper of The Wizard, of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Chopped it all off, grew out henna, and having fun starting over.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I also stick to the first two steps, well 3 if you substitute the cream for gel.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I did something similar last night and my hair is silk right now.
    Damp hair.
    Cone free leave in conditioner
    Avocado Oil

I could not go in public like this with my fine hair but it seems great for just chilling around the house to get a ton of moisture into hair

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

That is the thing, what some are using for the C step is not what I would describe as a cream, traditionally a cream is an oil in water or water in oil emulsion with an emulsifier - think cold cream for skin. Modern creams often contain fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants as the emulsifier, like a thick and rich conditioner.

Some doing LOC are using straight whipped shea butter which is not a cream to me, it's basically a repetition of the O step since both are occlusives/ anti humectants.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

There's no way I'm putting so much stuff in my hair! I want my hair to feel light and soft, not caked. :/
    1a/m/ii, going to classic!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
    There's no way I'm putting so much stuff in my hair! I want my hair to feel light and soft, not caked. :/
    It doesn't actually feel caked, not to me it doesn't, and I have hair that easily gets weighed down (F).