Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really HATING My Hair

Type
    1c/M/ii

Unhappy Really HATING My Hair

I am trying to grow out this pixie cut I got in November and after all the advice from LHC my hair actually grew 3/4 in. in the last 3 weeks, which I was really excited about... but the growth only emphasized the mullet I'm now sporting.

Headbands don't hide it. Wearing scarves on my head made my head itch. I can't wear hats to school.

I'm seriously just so down about it right now. I don't want to trim it because I feel like that just will negate all the growth I've achieved but I don't know what to do anymore.

Everyday I feel ugly because of my hair, and my whole mood is suffering.

Do I tough it out and get through these next couple months of what's sure to be one of the ugliest hairstyles or do I go to a salon and ask them to shape it up?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Really HATING My Hair

Do what makes you happy. Hair always grows back, and in the meantime you can assist the growing process by treating it gently and hopefully staying away from harmful things like heated rollers and blow drying. Good luck!

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Do what makes you happy. Hair always grows back, and in the meantime you can assist the growing process by treating it gently and hopefully staying away from harmful things like heated rollers and blow drying. Good luck!

What makes me happy is having long hair... But I'm thinking maybe I should having SOMETHING done to make me less depressed about my hair. And if that means a cut then I maybe that's a plunge I'll have to take.

And definitely no heat!

Type
    1b/F/ii

What about just trimming the back while letting the top get longer? It will still look like a pixie for a while but you'll be growing your hair closer to one length for easier growing out.

I've also had the post-pixie mullet. In my case I just toughed it out until my hair was long enough to make a cute bob, but you could also get to the bob by trimming the back until you hit chin length and then reassess.

HTH! Welcome to LHC!
    ~Lady Menrva of the Cat-Kept Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    Chin
    ~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBA~Waist~Tailbone~Classic

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Don't cut it, I sort of missed that very noticeable mullet stage because I got fusion extensions during that stage but they were awful to take out and I could have gone bald my hair did grow and is bottom of my neck now but going back to classes this semester I have a long brunette wig that has a cute cut and highlights so I've had fun in wearing that it makes me feel a little more confident, you could try that? Or tough it out, it'll be worth it come summer

Void Where Prohibited ole gray mare's Avatar
    Length
    apl/hip/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Sounds like your hair grows quite fast, so this phase will pass quickly. Try twisting sections and clipping them with mini-clips. That can be a really cute look.
    ~Princess Goblin~
    This illustration perfectly captures how I spend dream time with my Lily

Length
    16"/28.5"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I would say don't cut. Getting over the growing hump is the hardest part but so worth it when you make it to your goals. By cutting it you are only postponing what needs to be done to get away from the short hair that is making you down. Don't fret too much. Judging by your siggy pic you are a very beautiful young woman. No length of hair is going to change that. You can try playing around with pretty hair clips and such. If the Hair is really badly bumming you out you can always look into extensions or wigs. They would help you get through your current growing out phase. Other than that you will just have to wait it out. Long hair happens with patience, time, an refraining from the scissors.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatland View Post
    Do I tough it out and get through these next couple months of what's sure to be one of the ugliest hairstyles or do I go to a salon and ask them to shape it up?
    You've said it yourself, you've had great growth so far and you don't want to trim. I think there's your answer.

Now the hard part, not feeling happy with your hair... well, not exactly, it's rather: not feeling happy with your hair --at this stage--. In any hair growing journey there are going to be *several* awkward stages along the way. You've hit your first. If each new awkward stage is going to result in a trim, you're delaying that journey somewhat.

Pixies are a pain in the butt, though, so I get it. When I had to have my hair cut after a hair dye incident, I purposefully didn't let them cut shorter than a bob, because I know that anything shorter than that, more layered than that, is simply *hell* to grow out. Growing out from a pixie is not an easy thing to do.

It's up to you, either you toughen it out, get through this somehow, or you have a slight trim. If there's a hair dresser you know you can trust, then maybe you should trim a little, but how much can she cut, really? An inch (since November)? Is it really all that bad to nix (almost) all of your growth?
    Last edited by lapushka; February 2nd, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/M/ii

Personally when growing out a short layered cut I just trim the bottom edge (level with the nape) until all the layers catch up. It takes at least a year and looks awkward for much of that time, but it's really the quickest way to get the layers gone.

I would be afraid a salon would do more of an allover trim and slow you down, prolonging the grow-out phase.

Type
    1c/M/ii

Hmmm. Yes now I'm thinking maybe I should just tough it out. I thought of wearing a wig but I'm too scared of it coming off in class or something lol. I would be embarrassed.

I've also thought about trimming the back and I actually did trim A BIT off about a month ago but I ended up not liking the look. The back seemed to be really ....round.. like a bowl haircut. I think I'd rather have a mullet than a bowl haircut. :]