Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BGD's 4 Year LHC Anniversary!

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: BGD's 4 Year LHC Anniversary!

Quote Originally Posted by illicitlizard View Post
    Oh wow congratulations on 4 years, that's one hell of a journey! Your hair looks so unbelievably healthy now, and wonderfully springy! I like the idea of heat styling in moderation, I do mine like twice a year and I find the damage minimal, means I don't have to swear off all heat forever
    Based on that last pic it looks like your length is about double what it looks curled - but it's so hard to tell!
    Thanks! Most of these pictures are actually already semi-stretched using braid outs. I do braid outs to stretch my hair because I have curls like the spring inside of a pen. It shrinks even more if I were to wash and air dry, which I just won't do or I'd never get the knots out.

And yes, the moderate heat at least allows me to enjoy my length and see my progress, which is half of the fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by rosenester View Post
    So much progress!! Your natural texture is so beautiful, congrats on keeping away from heat styling for so long, it’s paying off!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    That's such an amazing process. I'm so glad to see natural textured hair representation here. Wish you enjoy even more long luxurious locks in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley8 View Post
    Congratulations! What fantastic progress, your hair looks beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ada-banana View Post
    Beautiful hair!!!

It was a true journey, with ups and downs, inspiring!
    Thank you all!!

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    Happy 4th Anniversary! You've come a long way in that time! Your hemline shape looks great and your curls shiny and vibrant

What percentage of shrinkage do you think I have? Really guessing here, but maybe 50%? You seem to about double your length when stretched!

What would you call my natural hair color? Somewhere between a cool dark brown, as it looks in the first picture, and black. Whatever it is, the colour variation is very pretty!

Is a hotdog a sandwich? NO! Only if it's between two pieces of bread!
    Teehee.... it's funny that I spent years dying my hair jet black. I think the last straw was the Bigen permanent black that I put on there. It's only when the sun hits it that I see other variation, but in normal light, I'm sure most people couldn't see a difference. Still, I do love jet black hair, but now I admire it on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Happy hairiversary, BGD! It's always nice to see you around here. I'm a big fan of your hair, it's one of my personal favourites here!
    Thank you!! That's so kind
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post

I learned to enjoy my hair. I can't remember the exact range, but at some point I went around 500 days with no heat. I was still not super comfortable with my braid outs, but slowly entered society with natural hairstyles and realized that they might even suit me better!

Growing back....

At some point ( don't remember when ) I gave up on growing as I was constantly cutting knots out of my ends and just not making any progress. During that time, I straightened my hair a few times, using absolute caution and as a result, not getting any heat damage. I had fun with my hair down, being the longest and healthiest it had ever been (I figure most people don't like heat styled hair so I'll spare ya'll the pics.)

Two weeks ago I snipped a few inches off of my longest back layers, and now I finally have a hair shape that I think I can live with. I know the knots and splits are just what my hair does, but I'm back to seeing if I can at least get it to BSL, then to Waist, and I'd be over the moon if I can get to my original goal of hip - but perfectly fine if I can't!

Today, I'm 127 days since my last heat styling. I'm not as against heat styling as I was before, but I still only plan to do it once or twice a year on special occasions, and possibly not even then if I can master my styling technique. So here I am today!

Sorry for the long post! To make this thread interesting, here's some conversation topics:

What percentage of shrinkage do you think I have?

What would you call my natural hair color?

Is a hotdog a sandwich?
    I love your natural hair, it is a soft black, IMO. My mom and dad both had that type of black hair, and IMHO it's very pretty. Wouldn't change a thing about it!

As far as the shrinkage goes, I'd say that's... a lot! And the hot dog, well, I'm no expert on that.

You came a long way, BGD! I think it's such a thrilling and amazing journey that you are in fact still on! It can only get better and better the longer you grow. And you are well on your way. Loved the 2021 pictures. But I know knots can be tiresome! I myself maintain classic, and for good reason. If I dare go longer I get much more knotty hair as well. I can always tell when I need my trim.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

BGD, your hair looks good! I love the naturalness of it, soft and springy, so tired of seeing flat-ironed hair that should be something else. It always reminds me of when I got a perm, so very much the wrong look for my hair! Sorry you have such an issue with those little knots, that must be frustrating.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Happy anniversary! it's very inspiring to see your hair catch up length wise after you cut the damage/unwanted shape. My big goal with my hair apart from letting it grow is to just embrace my natural texture and let it be. It's really encouraging to see your progress as I can relate so much. I love how everyone has unique hair (straight, curly, wavy, silky, puffy etc) and yet I'm so self conscious about wearing my own hair natural, I try to force it to look straighter and silkier or just bun it.
    Controversial question! I think a hot dog is a type of sandwich! Though it's a technicality. I'm nearly sure burgers can be called sandwiches in some places and that's in the same league as a hotdog. But I do think it's a specific type of sandwich. For example, saying 'sandwich' doesn't imply hot dog, but saying 'hot dog' implies sandwich. I would say your hair colour is dark brown and I think your shrinkage is at 40% or 50%.
    Starting again Currently aiming for happy ends. Trimming as needed

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Your hair is looking gorgeous these days! And I'm so glad to hear that you're happy with it. Congratulations on the hard work/thought work/patience paying off <3

Length
    buzz/31/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Happy anniversary! Your natural texture is so beautiful - and you've come so far in four years! I'd say your natural colour is a deep brown-black - and I am firmly of the opinion that a hotdog is not a sandwich! But then, maybe U.K. ideas of sandwiches are slightly different to U.S. ones?
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019
    buzz -- mess -- chin -- SL [18.5"] -- APL [22"] -- APL+ [25.5"] -- MBL [27"] -- WL [29"] -- HL [32"] -- TBL [38"]

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

The answer to the question most definitely depends upon jurisdiction (Minnesota Law Review). Here we just call it a hot dog and don't stray too deeply into symantics, ok? Happy anniversity BGD!
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Your natural curls are gorgeous! Congrats on your journey so far.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes those curls are awesome! Congratulations!!!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I love your natural hair, it is a soft black, IMO. My mom and dad both had that type of black hair, and IMHO it's very pretty. Wouldn't change a thing about it!

As far as the shrinkage goes, I'd say that's... a lot! And the hot dog, well, I'm no expert on that.

You came a long way, BGD! I think it's such a thrilling and amazing journey that you are in fact still on! It can only get better and better the longer you grow. And you are well on your way. Loved the 2021 pictures. But I know knots can be tiresome! I myself maintain classic, and for good reason. If I dare go longer I get much more knotty hair as well. I can always tell when I need my trim.
    Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    BGD, your hair looks good! I love the naturalness of it, soft and springy, so tired of seeing flat-ironed hair that should be something else. It always reminds me of when I got a perm, so very much the wrong look for my hair! Sorry you have such an issue with those little knots, that must be frustrating.
    Thank you all!! Perms and relaxers (I used to get the latter too, stopped in 2010) always amuse me. People with straight hair get perms, people with curly hair get relaxers. The beauty industry thrives on making people feel like what they're born with isn't good.

Yes, the fairy knots really upset me, and they tend to be paired with split ends. I still s&d but try not to focus too much on it. I'm sure this issue will effect my terminal length, but I'd like to see how far I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceylouise226 View Post
    Happy anniversary! it's very inspiring to see your hair catch up length wise after you cut the damage/unwanted shape. My big goal with my hair apart from letting it grow is to just embrace my natural texture and let it be. It's really encouraging to see your progress as I can relate so much. I love how everyone has unique hair (straight, curly, wavy, silky, puffy etc) and yet I'm so self conscious about wearing my own hair natural, I try to force it to look straighter and silkier or just bun it.
    Controversial question! I think a hot dog is a type of sandwich! Though it's a technicality. I'm nearly sure burgers can be called sandwiches in some places and that's in the same league as a hotdog. But I do think it's a specific type of sandwich. For example, saying 'sandwich' doesn't imply hot dog, but saying 'hot dog' implies sandwich. I would say your hair colour is dark brown and I think your shrinkage is at 40% or 50%.
    Thank you!! Texture embracing was certainly the most difficult part of my journey. I stopped getting relaxers back in 2010, but continued straightening my hair... so it took around 11 years of having natural hair for me to actually be ok with my natural hair.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Your hair is looking gorgeous these days! And I'm so glad to hear that you're happy with it. Congratulations on the hard work/thought work/patience paying off <3
    Quote Originally Posted by DropStitches View Post
    Happy anniversary! Your natural texture is so beautiful - and you've come so far in four years! I'd say your natural colour is a deep brown-black - and I am firmly of the opinion that a hotdog is not a sandwich! But then, maybe U.K. ideas of sandwiches are slightly different to U.S. ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    The answer to the question most definitely depends upon jurisdiction (Minnesota Law Review). Here we just call it a hot dog and don't stray too deeply into symantics, ok? Happy anniversity BGD!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    Your natural curls are gorgeous! Congrats on your journey so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yes those curls are awesome! Congratulations!!!
    Thank you all!!

A hotdog is served in a single piece of bread sliced open, like a sub. When you order food at a restaurant, don't you find subs in the sandwich portion of the menu?
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode