Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair fall help! Could biotin supplement be to blame?

Default Hair fall help! Could biotin supplement be to blame?

I’m having an absolute nightmare with my hair at the moment, I’m losing loads of hair every time I wash it and it’s got so thin. I’ve been taking a 12,000 mcg biotin supplement since May - I started taking it because my hair was thin and falling but it’s massively worse now. I’ve also used a few protein conditioners over last few months but none have helped, I also take collagen powder every day. I’m in dire need of some hair help, if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them. I’m 45 and have fine curly hair, it’s hasn’t been thick for years but now I’m getting really scared by how thin it is ��
    Last edited by Ab1J; August 1st, 2020 at 06:23 AM.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair fall help! Could biotin supplement be to blame?

I'm not a doctor, but I've definitely heard that while biotin supplements help some people with their hair, it can cause excessive hairfall in others. If the biotin is the only thing that you've changed since your hairfall got much worse, that could potentially be part of it. However, the root cause of the problem might be medical (some sort of deficiency in your diet, hormonal issue, or other undiagnosed health problem). My mother is around your age with a similar problem, and her hairstylist told her it might be good to check with a doctor to see if there's a medical reason for her hairfall. So, it might be best to see a doctor if you think something like that could be wrong. Always best to be safe!

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Unless you are taking the supplements for medical reasons, I'd stop them for now and see how it goes.
    In general supplements are meant to be taken for a limited time... So either way stopping is not a bad thing (again,
    unless there's a medical condition to keep under control).

My hair hates protein and breaks more with treatments that contain it.

Wish you the best luck with this shedding
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Thanks for the replies, I’m going to stop taking the biotin and see what happens, and cut out all products containing protein! I have hypothyroidism which can cause hair loss but I’m medicated for that and my test results were fine last time they were checked.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Sounds like a good plan! I hope it works out for you.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by emmacarol View Post
    I'm not a doctor, but I've definitely heard that while biotin supplements help some people with their hair, it can cause excessive hairfall in others. If the biotin is the only thing that you've changed since your hairfall got much worse, that could potentially be part of it. However, the root cause of the problem might be medical (some sort of deficiency in your diet, hormonal issue, or other undiagnosed health problem). My mother is around your age with a similar problem, and her hairstylist told her it might be good to check with a doctor to see if there's a medical reason for her hairfall. So, it might be best to see a doctor if you think something like that could be wrong. Always best to be safe!
    Best advice ever. Age 40/50 there could definitely be hormones at play. Do check with a doctor. A blood panel and hormone check is fairly easy to do!

I was quite surprised at the amount of biotin you are taking.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Best advice ever. Age 40/50 there could definitely be hormones at play. Do check with a doctor. A blood panel and hormone check is fairly easy to do!

I was quite surprised at the amount of biotin you are taking.
    I should also add that in January I had a full blood check as had been feeling very low and I wondered if I could be pre-menopausal, I’m not. And nothing else was amiss either. The biotin is vita bright high strength Biotin with coconut which I got on Amazon, loads of reviews on how people’s hair grew thicker and longer after taking. Just my luck that it hasn’t worked for me! The collagen powder I’ve taken on and off for a couple of years and I do find it strengthens my nails, but not my hair bizarrely. Thinking about it I did have an Olaplex treatment on my hair a few months back and noticed loads of breakage after. Keep your fingers crossed for me that stopping the supplements and protein products works cos I’m not pretty enough to rock the bald look! ��

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

If you are taking more than 5000 mcg of biotin per day, that can be the cause of hair fall. It has been described in the literature that biotin in higher than needed doses might be toxic.

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

That much biotin is bad for your liver.
    Just trying to get by