Page 131 of 404 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 4040

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by draysmir View Post
    Does hair dye expire? I have some unopened manic panic I was thinking of using from about... four or five years ago?
    If it's still sealed up, I'd imagine it's ok. Ask me how I know I've used Virgin Snow for years to brighten up my silver hair and keep several jars around, and some of it is ... elderly, like moi. Good luck!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by constancev18 View Post
    A quick search on Google Scholar and this thread did not yield anything so apologies as this most certainly has been asked before, does water consumption increase hair growth? I'm thinking if you normally drink about the minimum and you suddenly doubled it--would this boost, even slightly, hair growth? I keep thinking about my shrubs and trees and how much they grew this past year when I made a concerted effort to hand water them. I'm going to try but I want to cushion my disappointment if no one has noticed much acceleration. My thanks!
    It most likely wouldn't have any effect. Animals (mostly) don't function the same way as plants, and plants will also die if they get too much water. We experience thirst for a reason, it is our body's signal for us to drink water because it's needed for something. Drinking water beyond that is just going to come out as urine. Of course, we usually end up drinking more than is sorely needed, because urinating every once in a while is also quite beneficial. Drinking way beyond our need is going to dilute salt and other electrolytes too much, and that is very dangerous.
    Last edited by Ylva; February 22nd, 2021 at 04:58 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Yes drinking enough so your pee is pale, almost colourless is the ideal level of hydration. Except the first pee in the morning which is always darker. One reason for that is that synovial joints and intervertebral discs absorb water while we sleep as part of the body’s restorative process.

Adult humans excrete about 2L a day breathing and sweating, so drinking a minimum of 2L is recommended. Tea and coffee are diuretics so factor that in. Ylva is correct, you can drink too much H2O - hypernatremia. Seen in unconditioned people doing endurance exercise in warm climates - excess salt lost through sweating and further dilution through excess H2O consumption.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    6/26.5/41/53
    Type
    4a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    I'm going to say ... no. If we had trees or grass growing from our heads, maybe Though wouldn't it be nice?
    Thanks, GordonMurphella.

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

I don't know what keywords to search for this: is there a term for hair holding an impressed shape easily? When my hair gets lightly tangled while dry, the strands retain patternless kinks where the tangle was after untangling, even if I comb. My hair goes from "generally poofy and straight" to "defined waves" if I braid it while completely dry for even 1-2 hours. I also notice that when I run my fingers along a single strand, it can be generally smooth with just one patch that's rough and looks "bumpy" (like the curved part of a bobby pin, but much lower amplitude and higher frequency) in the middle. Is this a function of porosity?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aviara View Post
    I don't know what keywords to search for this: is there a term for hair holding an impressed shape easily? When my hair gets lightly tangled while dry, the strands retain patternless kinks where the tangle was after untangling, even if I comb. My hair goes from "generally poofy and straight" to "defined waves" if I braid it while completely dry for even 1-2 hours. I also notice that when I run my fingers along a single strand, it can be generally smooth with just one patch that's rough and looks "bumpy" (like the curved part of a bobby pin, but much lower amplitude and higher frequency) in the middle. Is this a function of porosity?
    I think this has to do with hair type more than porosity. Fine hair tends to hold the shape more than coarser hair, and hair that has a bit of wave to it naturally will tend to hold waves better than completely straight hair ("poofy and straight" sounds to me like you might have some natural waves).
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aviara View Post
    First of all: welcome here!

Secondly, I would let us hairtype you. Sounds to me like you might be on the wavy spectrum, even a tad curly.

There are guidelines on how to make a good hairtyping picture and how the process goes. I believe it's wash, condition, allowed to wring out, towel dry, don't comb, don't brush, let airdry fully and then take a picture from the back of your head.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii

Thanks florenonite! My hair is indeed partly "straight with body" and partly "wavy".

Thanks for the process, lapushka. I'll do that next time I wash my hair (tonight or tomorrow).

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

^ Just to be clear, 'towel dry' means you can squeeze out water and wrap it in a towel. No rubbing!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    I think this has to do with hair type more than porosity. Fine hair tends to hold the shape more than coarser hair, and hair that has a bit of wave to it naturally will tend to hold waves better than completely straight hair ("poofy and straight" sounds to me like you might have some natural waves).
    My hair will take a curl very easily but can have them brushed out equally easily, and I suspect your assessment is correct!
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic