Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoyingly itchy scalp!

Length
    1 in/23 in/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Annoyingly itchy scalp!

Help!

My daughter and I have been suffering from itchy scalp. I have tried sls free shampoo, no conditioner, no shampoo, medicated shampoo.... Its frustrating and annoying and we both scratch ourselves raw. I also tried tea tree oil treatment and still no go. Please any advice would be appreciated! TIA

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Annoyingly itchy scalp!

Same for my youngest son. His head is so itchy he can't even sleep. He tried everything on his scalp too, nothing works, niozoral, tea tree, prell,acv,vinegar, head and shoulders,selsun blue. I dunno what to do for him when its so itchy at night and he can't sleep.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Scalpicin helped me. It's hydrocortisone and aloe and such in a little applicator bottle. It doesn't make your hair greasy or anything either. You can get it at the drugstore.

My scalp issues are largely controlled by really harsh shampoo so *that's* not the best advice for everyone, but the scalpicin is good in a pinch and I would think be applicable to any cause of itchy scalp since it's just anti-itch liquid.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Could it be partly due to dry air?

I had problems with a dehydrated itchy scalp and only found relief with one specific light conditioner containing peppermint and tea tree - but using the EOs themselves didn't help at all - and now one specific shampoo that keeps it happy. The conditioner was UK-specific and now discontinued () and the shampoo is EU-specific I think; Dr Organic Aloe Vera. I'm not saying the same things would necessarily work for you anyway, but just that for my scalp even general sulphate-free or general conditioner wasn't good enough

I did find that FemFresh was the only sulphatey product my scalp tolerated for a little while, which made me wonder about pH (it was supposed to be about 5.5, for use as a feminine wash) which got me thinking about products with Aloe instead of water, because it's supposed to be a lower pH. Again, it may not be your problem at all but just mentioning in case it does help at all.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Depending on your root cause, your strategy is going to be very different. Some people get an itchy scalp from too harsh of shampoos. Some people get the itchy scalp from stretching washes and need to use those harsh shampoos. I get itchy scalp and dry skin problems if I am not getting enough fats in my diet personally.

Some people get itchy scalp from skin conditions too, but I'm sure there will be the "see the doctor" brigade along shortly.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Poor kid
    It might be worth visiting a doctor, if you're able. It could be some sort of allergy or rash.

Length
    14/22/32

yeast or fungus perhaps? a dermatologist can help.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Hard to know what to do unless you have a sense of what is causing it ) : Did this start recently/at a specific time? Did it begin at the same time for both of you? Given your location it may well be dry winter air (either as the sole cause or exacerbating something else/making the symptoms more pronounced)?

In my case my scalp starts itching like crazy if I get anything too oily on it. Sebum is fine, a really quickly rinsed out conditioner on the roots is fine, but actual oil? It will pester me for weeks at a time, which made the process of figuring out what was causing it somewhat drawn out--the symptoms would be lasting long after the last contact with an irritant.

I find that covering my head with a scarf or cap, especially overnight, helps stop me from scratching my scalp and aggravating the problem further.

Length
    Hip/BCL/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Are you guys stressed out?

The only time my scalp has ever been so itchy that it disturbed my sleep was when I was in the process of taking extremely important exams and got stress hives. They gradually spread to different locations on my body, including my scalp.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes I would get some help in figuring it out. I would go see a dermatologist. Or even your regular GP can surely help. Beats spending and spending money on things you have no idea will help or not.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)