Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Help]Hair tangling and frizzy

Question [Help]Hair tangling and frizzy

Hello there everyone ^_^ i'm 20 year's old almost 21 male My whole life i had short hair etc and i recently started growing it like really long and i noticed it's not that healthy it tangles up almost everytime after i wake up or if i don't use cream i wanna reach a goal where i won't need to use such things etc i want it to be naturally smooth and not tangle up and straight and i have tried argan oil and some other stuff and nothing seems to be really working much and here i am looking for help from people whom have experienced to lend me a hand.
    My current hair length i'd say is about this long
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/f8...922f04f240.jpg

Thanks in advance to everyone whom have the heart and knowledge to help out
    Last edited by Chromis; September 2nd, 2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Changed hotlink to link-link - Mod

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: [Help]Hair tangling and frizzy

Welcome to the forum.

What is your routine like? Shampooing, conditioning, frequency of washing, when you detangle, comb, brush? How?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

What is your routine like? Shampooing, conditioning, frequency of washing, when you detangle, comb, brush? How?
    Never thought about it like that but i shampoo/condition it every 2 days and wash it once a day and detangling it i just brush it really that's it after the shower i wait for it to dry a bit and use hair cream
    Is it bad to brush it when it's wet? or
    I'm honestly a total newbie here when it comes to hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MrPandaBear View Post
    Never thought about it like that but i shampoo/condition it every 2 days and wash it once a day and detangling it i just brush it really that's it after the shower i wait for it to dry a bit and use hair cream
    Is it bad to brush it when it's wet? or
    I'm honestly a total newbie here when it comes to hair.
    No it is not bad to brush when wet. As long as you do it carefully. I detangle when my hair comes out the towel with a Wet Brush (dupe) and it works well for me. You also need to pay attention to the kinds of tools you use, though.

Looks like there's nothing wrong with your routine!

What cream do you put in? A curl cream? Leave-in? Those are OK. But if it is wax or hair putty, that can KNOT up!

Hi! I'm a long haired guy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPandaBear View Post
    Hello there everyone ^_^ i'm 20 year's old almost 21 male My whole life i had short hair etc and i recently started growing it like really long and i noticed it's not that healthy it tangles up almost everytime after i wake up or if i don't use cream i wanna reach a goal where i won't need to use such things etc i want it to be naturally smooth and not tangle up and straight and i have tried argan oil and some other stuff and nothing seems to be really working much and here i am looking for help from people whom have experienced to lend me a hand.
    Okay, frizzy can be caused by a number of different things. But since you mentioned oil I'm going to take a guess. Products like silicones in shampoos and oils like argan can provide a certain slipperiness to the hair. They help keep it from tangling. BUT, they block the movement of moisture.

Frizzy, particularly if your hair is textured like wavy or curly, is usually caused by a lack of moisture. And those products block moisture.

I know it's girly sounding, but look up a method called curly-girl. It goes into WAY too much depth, but basically you strip any residues off your hair with a normal shampoo like Suave, then put on tons of conditioner to help moisturize your hair. It takes a while to get enough moisture in, but...the condition usually improves.

http://www.reddit.com/r/curlygirl is also a good resource.

And you don't even need to be curly to benefit from the basic approach.

and not tangle up and straight
    So you want your hair to be straight. What is it, naturally? And how are you achieving straightness? I'm going to guess heat?

Since you're young, male, and have never had anything but short hair I'm going to say these words that I hope will be helpful. You're throwing products at it, in hope that the next salve, balm, or oil will make it look the way you want. THEY WON'T!

Products are not supposed to be the solution. They're supposed to be helpful, they can be supportive...they don't GIVE you nice hair. Particularly if your natural hair doesn't already match the style you want.

As for the tangling, that happens fairly often if your hair is textured. Mine is curly. But "velcro ends" make it worse. And those are usually because of damage, split ends and the like.

Have you had a trim lately?

My current hair length i'd say is about this long
    ABOUT this long? Why not post a real picture of yourself? We're very nice people and, to be frank, seeing what we are dealing with can be very helpful.

Thanks in advance to everyone whom have the heart and knowledge to help out
    It's nice to meet you.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    ABOUT this long? Why not post a real picture of yourself? We're very nice people and, to be frank, seeing what we are dealing with can be very helpful.
    I think being new can be a little intimidating, cjk. If OP decides to post a picture, which... he may not (and that's his full right of course), then a picture of the back of the head will do!

I think being new can be a little intimidating, cjk. If OP decides to post a picture, which... he may not (and that's his full right of course), then a picture of the back of the head will do!
    And some people are particularly shy about posting selfies on internet forums they just joined. I understand that!

But my point still stands. There is often a big difference, even a gaping chasm, between a "representative" photo and a real selfie. And seeing his actual hair would be so much more helpful.

@MrPandaBear, I encourage you to show us your real hair, even if it is just a back-of-the-head photo taken in the mirror.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

And some people are particularly shy about posting selfies on internet forums they just joined. I understand that!

But my point still stands. There is often a big difference, even a gaping chasm, between a "representative" photo and a real selfie. And seeing his actual hair would be so much more helpful.

@MrPandaBear, I encourage you to show us your real hair, even if it is just a back-of-the-head photo taken in the mirror.
    Definitely agree with you on that!

Hi! I'm a long haired guy, too.

Okay, frizzy can be caused by a number of different things. But since you mentioned oil I'm going to take a guess. Products like silicones in shampoos and oils like argan can provide a certain slipperiness to the hair. They help keep it from tangling. BUT, they block the movement of moisture.

Frizzy, particularly if your hair is textured like wavy or curly, is usually caused by a lack of moisture. And those products block moisture.

I know it's girly sounding, but look up a method called curly-girl. It goes into WAY too much depth, but basically you strip any residues off your hair with a normal shampoo like Suave, then put on tons of conditioner to help moisturize your hair. It takes a while to get enough moisture in, but...the condition usually improves.

http://www.reddit.com/r/curlygirl is also a good resource.

And you don't even need to be curly to benefit from the basic approach.

So you want your hair to be straight. What is it, naturally? And how are you achieving straightness? I'm going to guess heat?

Since you're young, male, and have never had anything but short hair I'm going to say these words that I hope will be helpful. You're throwing products at it, in hope that the next salve, balm, or oil will make it look the way you want. THEY WON'T!

Products are not supposed to be the solution. They're supposed to be helpful, they can be supportive...they don't GIVE you nice hair. Particularly if your natural hair doesn't already match the style you want.

As for the tangling, that happens fairly often if your hair is textured. Mine is curly. But "velcro ends" make it worse. And those are usually because of damage, split ends and the like.

Have you had a trim lately?

It's nice to meet you.

Brush

Shampoo

Cream

Hair from the back

Sry for the huge ass pictures here's a link to all the pictures properly and not that huges.

https://imgur.com/a/o6qr9bh