Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair and glasses - need advice.

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Hair and glasses - need advice.

SO, finally I'm getting glasses in 2 weeks.
    I went to the optitian with my prescription yesterday to order them.
    Not because I can't see properly but because my astigmatism on both eyes has to be corrected to stop constant headaches.
    It took me 7 months to find the right frames which suit my face and now I have found some which I really love and I find they look cute on me.
    Even though most people told me to get contacts because they find I look bad with glasses (I have posted different photos of me with different frames on Facebook and sent pictures to people and nothing was good. It was always either making fun of me or: 'Forget it, get contacts, looks terrible'. and: 'Wanna lose all your subscribers on YouTube? Get these'
    So, I'm not sure what people will say, I didn't show the ones I'm getting to anyone so that nobody can talk me out of them. Like with all the other ones I liked.
    Anyway, what I would like to know from you is, how do you deal with hair down and glasses?
    Because I want to wear them all the time and when I wear my sunglasses daily in the summer I always get some breakage in the front from taking them down, ripping hair out... Because single hairs get stuck in the hinge. So, I'm a bit worried that the same will happen with the glasses.
    How does that go for you? Is it a problem? Do you wear your hair down only when you don't have glasses on? Is there something I should know?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Wusel; May 16th, 2019 at 01:34 AM.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Hair and glasses - need advice.

I've been wearing contacts again recently, but most of the time I've been growing my hair out, I wore glasses every day. And I did occasionally wear my hair down, without regard to my glasses. I wouldn't worry about it. I do occasionally get hair stick in the hinge, but it's really not that much - one hair here or there is all. I did find that some glasses seemed to do it more often, but I'm not sure you can know that until you wear them around for a while. Unfortunately no one labels frames according to hair friendliness!
    Basically I think it can be a nuisance, but not enough to change what you do with your hair. Zippers and wind are far, far worse.
    Last edited by pailin; May 16th, 2019 at 03:35 AM.

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pailin View Post
    I've been wearing contacts again recently, but most of the time I've been growing my hair out, I wore glasses every day. And I did occasionally wear my hair down, without regard to my glasses. I wouldn't worry about it. I do occasionally get hair stick in the hinge, but it's really not that much - one hair here or there is all. I did find that some glasses seemed to do it more often, but I'm not sure you can know that until you wear them around for a while. Unfortunately no one labels frames according to hair friendliness!
    Basically I think it can be a nuisance, but not enough to change what you do with your hair.
    Thank you My mum just told me that she had quite a lot of damage when she was young and had long hair and wore glasses but she said that back then, in the 60s-70s the glasses weren't the quality they are now and she had no money for the better quality ones and she believes that it won't be as bad as it was for her. She said she practically had layers in the front caused by breakage from the glasses. Hope my frames are good quality.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I hope so! I don't know what kind of frames your mom had, but mine used to have some that had a separate layer of decoration on the front, which I would think could really catch hair easily.
    Of my two current pairs, the all metal frames are definitely worse than the one with plastic front and metal sides. I think my previous all plastic frames were pretty good.
    If you do have trouble, half-ups or clips/anything that keeps your hair back just a little might help. Also if you can identify a rough spot that catches hair, maybe you could file it a little or stick some clear nail polish on it. I used to have a pair of metal frames that were wearing out and the coating was coming off around my ears and scratching me. I just painted it with nail polish periodically and that took care of it until I got around to replacing them.

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Also I don't know about Germany, but in the US, some shops will allow you to take them back within a week if they don't work for you. I think it's more expensive places usually.

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I hope so! I don't know what kind of frames your mom had, but mine used to have some that had a separate layer of decoration on the front, which I would think could really catch hair easily.
    Of my two current pairs, the all metal frames are definitely worse than the one with plastic front and metal sides. I think my previous all plastic frames were pretty good.
    If you do have trouble, half-ups or clips/anything that keeps your hair back just a little might help. Also if you can identify a rough spot that catches hair, maybe you could file it a little or stick some clear nail polish on it. I used to have a pair of metal frames that were wearing out and the coating was coming off around my ears and scratching me. I just painted it with nail polish periodically and that took care of it until I got around to replacing them.
    That's some good tips Thank you Mine are all plastic and looked quite sleek everywhere but I won't know how they work with my hair until I wear them for a while.

Also I don't know about Germany, but in the US, some shops will allow you to take them back within a week if they don't work for you. I think it's more expensive places usually.
    I don't think so. I can get other lenses if they don't work because they measured something wrong but I can't give the frames back once I have chosen and worn them. Unless they are bad quality and break or so.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

Sorry can't help at all. I always wear my hair up. The only times I wear my hair down, I will wear my contacts.
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by YvetteVarie View Post
    Sorry can't help at all. I always wear my hair up. The only times I wear my hair down, I will wear my contacts.
    Thank you anyway So you don't wear your hair down when you wear glasses because they might get damaged?

Length
    19/27/31.5
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I've been wearing my glasses more the past few months because my eyes needed more oxygen according to my optician. I wear my hair down frequently (it's currently a cm short of APL) and I never really have a problem with my hair getting stuck in the hinges I do have to say that my frames are really thin, so that could have to do with it, but perhaps it won't be too bad with your frames either. I guess you would have to see if they arrive and you can wear them for a while. I am curious about the frames you chose though haha, and the most important thing is that you like them

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I wear glasses all the time. I am quite nearsighted + have astigmatism in both eyes.

I don't ask people for opinions - at all. I like what *I* like and the rest I don't want to deal with. As far as the comments go, you do invite the bad stuff in with the good if you ask the whole wide internet or people on FB. So... there's that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)