Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making your own silicone conditioner

Length
    CL/HL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default making your own silicone conditioner

I know the answer is to test it and see how it turns out but I wanted to ask for opinions. I recently discovered my hair does better with silicones than without them. The thing is the last conditioner I bought has no silicones in it and I would really like to use it since it has uv filter on it and I'm going to the beach for summer. I have an argan oil serum which is full of silicones and I was thinking of changing it for another product but I don't have the exchange ticket. Do you think I can mix that coney serum with my non silicone conditioner and create my own silicone conditioner? or it might not be the same?
    Last edited by hollygolightly; January 12th, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

CL (15'') 2016 / HL (32") / TBL (36'')

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: making your own silicone conditioner

I would just get a cheap silicone conditioner in the store, for the simple reason that I think it's more work and expense to make your own than to just buy a silicone conditioner.

What do you have available to you? I've heard of Novex and they seem to be great products (no idea if they have silicones though).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I would try mixing a little in your hand, see how it goes. Use your normal amount of conditioner and add a few drops of the serum, mix well and apply.

Length
    CL/HL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I would try mixing a little in your hand, see how it goes. Use your normal amount of conditioner and add a few drops of the serum, mix well and apply.
    I think in this cases you just have to experiment

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would just get a cheap silicone conditioner in the store, for the simple reason that I think it's more work and expense to make your own than to just buy a silicone conditioner.

What do you have available to you? I've heard of Novex and they seem to be great products (no idea if they have silicones though).
    I bought a silicone conditioner (the rosemary one by herbal essences) but I was thinking of using what I already had

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I don't know about mixing a serum with a conditioner. An oil seems to do fine, but I think you can't use too too much serum otherwise it might become a sticky mess. I would use a small puddle, if you must and there's no other way.

Can't you use the serum in your hair after the wash? You don't need a lot of it, a pea size is sometimes enough, depending on how long your hair is. Serums can be pretty concentrated stuff!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've mixed coney serum into conditioner before, it doesn't turn into a sticky mess. I used roughly 2 tbs condition with about 8 drops of serum. I could have added a lot more, it was a nice creamy mix.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I've mixed coney serum into conditioner before, it doesn't turn into a sticky mess. I used roughly 2 tbs condition with about 8 drops of serum. I could have added a lot more, it was a nice creamy mix.
    Oh gosh, I really pump out the serum, I think about 9 pumps of it (small droplet pumps), until my palm is full and it doesn't run over, that I spread over 2 hands and scrunch into my hair.

Which is maybe why I thought in that amount it might turn into a sticky mess (my hair is never sticky, though). But see, I don't know what that does combined with a conditioner.

Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    3b/C/iii

Just mix a small amount at first and see how you get on with it. If you like it, you can mix more. If not, there's no harm done.

Length
    CL/HL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I tried it today in the morning and so far is going well, my hair is nice and shiny but the reason why I went back to silicones was because my hair wasn't able to retain moisture, so i'll see how it goes in the next few days

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Oh gosh, I really pump out the serum, I think about 9 pumps of it (small droplet pumps), until my palm is full and it doesn't run over, that I spread over 2 hands and scrunch into my hair.

Which is maybe why I thought in that amount it might turn into a sticky mess (my hair is never sticky, though). But see, I don't know what that does combined with a conditioner.
    Dang, thats a lot. What exactly are you using? Even when my hair was apl, I only used 2 or 3 drops of my coney serum. Anymore would have left me a greasy mess.