Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble taming my braids

Default Trouble taming my braids

So I’ve always had trouble taming my braids...by that I mean I have a lot of trouble with my hairs in the braid that start to look “loose” or messy and my braid begins falling apart as the day goes on, if that makes any sense!

Is there anything I can use/do to make it look like a sleeker braid, as opposed to a braid that starts off neat then begins to look messy? (There’s a lot of wind/ movement at my job)

I hate hairspray and mousse and anything that’s sticky. Too much chemical products make me feel gross! But if there’s any products/ alternatives that you guys can recommend, Id be willing to try and really appreciate it!
    Flowers don’t compare themselves to each other, they just bloom

Default Re: Trouble taming my braids

I love Biosilk Lite Serum...a few drops applied to my ends before braiding, then a teensy squirt rubbed on my palms and over my braids after really helps me.

Mostly my braids are used to sleep and this protects my fine silver from shredding, dryness, and damage.

I am with you....and hate heavy/sticky stuff on my hair

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

If I'm going for sleek I would definitely oil my hair. Olive/jojoba in winter, coconut/grapeseed in summer. When I had a job that required updos thats how I kept it neat.

Length
    Chin/36.5"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Oil does the trick for me too, but you may not wish to be so greasy in public. I'm comfortable wearing some oil out, depending on what the day is, but probably wouldn't habitually.

I also find rag ties help hold my braid together, especially when rope braiding. But I still a fair amount of braid shred and will stop and re braid if it's bugging me.
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

A leave-in, or curl cream, smoothed over the braid, or some gel. I'd go for the leave-in if you don't like crunchy or sticky hair, though. You don't need to use a lot of product, just a pea to a tiny coinsize, spread through palms and slowly eased over the ends then up to the root area of the braid.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    A leave-in, or curl cream, smoothed over the braid, or some gel. I'd go for the leave-in if you don't like crunchy or sticky hair, though. You don't need to use a lot of product, just a pea to a tiny coinsize, spread through palms and slowly eased over the ends then up to the root area of the braid.
    Lapushka, Do you think the Shea Moisture JBCO leave in would help? I’m not familiar with using leave ins so they make me a little nervous lol.

And as far as oils, I’ve tried Argan oil but it just doesn’t seem to do the trick. I only like to use light oil on my ends because my hair tends to get easily greasy and weighed down. Plus oil does not provide a strong hold, which is what I need =\

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I don't have asn't advise, but am curious to see other's recommendations. I've tried small amounts of gel to no success. I love the look of braids, but mine always ebf the day by being a complete mess with as much as 6 inch long pieces hanging out of my braid.

APL ~
    BSL~ Waist~ Hip ~BCL~ TBL
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii

Have you tried aloe vera gel or maybe making a flax seed gel? I haven't tried it personally, I've just seen the recipes for it on Pinterest, I use jojoba oil if I have to try to settle my wispies but normally I just let them run wild... Call me lazy i guess.

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I like to get my hair damp but not wet with my hands and sometimes I will put a couple of drops of oil on the ends or I will smooth a dab of Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter over all of my hair before braiding. The Twisting Butter feels producty on my hand but it is quickly absorbed and moisturizes my hair.

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

When I braid my hair (dry), it does the same thing. My braids are at their best when I do them on damp hair. I also don't wear my braids loose because of my line of work. It's always wrapped up and pinned down.