Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My sisters hair ~ help please!

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Question My sisters hair ~ help please!

My sister has about waistlength+ hair. She died her bleached hair a very dark brown with a box dye which she didn't think was permanent, but it was. She wanted to bleach it out but really didn't know how to go about it so went to a haidresser. They used color remover. Her hair went bright orange in some places, a yellow blond in others and had still some very dark brown in it but now with a reddish undertone. This was about two years ago now. They send her home with a hairmask in her hair because they could not detangle it. They told her to wash frequently wit Head&Shoulders and sleep with conditioner in, so she did. One night after another try to detangle her hair she got frustrated and cut about 30cm off.

Well, her hair is a pretty normal 'bleached the crap out of' color with virgin dark blonde hair now. She used bleach a few times at home after she went to the hairdressers. She has a baby now and her hair is always up in a top knot with an elastic (with metal). I am now cutting her hair because she is afraid a hairdresser will chop it all off or the experience makes her feel even worse about herself.

She wants healthy hair but also doesn't want to loose length. So we settled on cutting off the new growth every 3 months. Last night I was going to cut it but I couldn't detangle her hair to save my life. It is so very brittle, straw like, and tangles like crazy.

She showed me how she brushes it. She just starts at the top and just rips through it. When encountering a knot she just keeps on pulling. You know those clumps of hair that come out of the washing machine? Those are actually in her brush. She is really sad about her hair and feels really ugly. She is a single mom of a 7 month, and does not always have time/ energy to detangle after washing. Any tips at all are welcome.

Some pictures I posted before in the braid thread (she gave permission of course )

These where from last summer when she detangled her hair before I braided it. Still had a hard time with sections then. Also: meet my cute little nephew, oh how much I love him.

And here how she wears it a lot. Either this or a top knot.

Figured she should:

- Not pile her hair on her head while washing
    - Be gentle on her hair and use a wide toothed comb while detangling (with conditioner in the shower?)
    - Dump the elastic and use something hair friendly
    - Do a bigger chop? She is damaging healthy virgin hair aswell this way.
    - Keep it braided at all times so it is easier to detangle?
    - Do a huge S&D session?
    - Buy a good detangler spray and/ or leave in?

Thanks for reading, tried to keep it short but didn't really succeed, sorry
    Last edited by Suze; October 12th, 2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
    Current lenght: 83cm/ almost 33" ~ may 19 2018 ~ Made it to waistlength!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: My sisters hair ~ help please!

Your sister has gorgeous hair! Please tell her that!

Tell her to buy conditioners or masks for dry, damaged hair; not because her hair is damaged or dry, but because those are the most moisturizing (and strongest) products on the market, they will solve the tangle-issue, or at least greatly improve it.

The rest is getting her to use good methods, but she has to be willing to change the way she does things.

And yes, get her to at least use a leave-in after washing. And tell her how to comb; you are there for her trims anyway, so you can tell her how to detangle. Good luck!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Is it possible that she has build up as well? That can cause velcro like tangles on me.

I recommend using a leave in detangler spray after shower. I use It's a ten leave in contitioner (spray, and the light version), and it makes the hair super easy to detangle and doesn't weigh down the hair. I use it on top of other leave in products I use for moisturizing.

And cwc as well
    Hair thickness:6.2 cm (2.4'') Longest: TBL + Current length: APL (maintaining) Goal length: Waist

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Your plan sounds good! It might be worth trying something like a Tangle Teezer if she is pressed for time with detangling, and with her hair being processed so many times that part might benefit from a strong protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step followed by the conditioners Lapushka recommended.

I find elastics made from nylons to be pretty hair friendly, she could try doing this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Stre...out-of-Tights/
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Length
    ch/sh/wl
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Definitely a leave-in conditioner. Maybe she could look into a protein mask? I know it can be beneficial for bleached hair, but I don't know if her hair would like it. It might help strengthen the strands. Maybe when that precious little bundle of joy of her (oh my god, seriously so cute!) is napping, she could take a few extra minutes to herself and detangle her hair properly. I know life is busy, but even new moms need to take some time for themselves I understand the top knot thing, so maybe she could use claw clips to keep them in place instead of hair bands?

Oh my, when I got to the part of how she brushes thru her hair and encounter a knot and rips thru it gave my the shudders. I agree with above suggestions, deep condition regularly detangle with conditioner on on wash day with a wide tooth comb, from the bottom up. And if you run into a knot, try to gently undo by pulling the hairs until the knot comes undone; sometimes, what's starts as a big knot ends up really small. Hope this makes sense
    "You're never too old to be young"- Snow White

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    My sister has about waistlength+ hair. She died her bleached hair a very dark brown with a box dye which she didn't think was permanent, but it was. She wanted to bleach it out but really didn't know how to go about it so went to a haidresser. They used color remover. Her hair went bright orange in some places, a yellow blond in others and had still some very dark brown in it but now with a reddish undertone. This was about two years ago now. They send her home with a hairmask in her hair because they could not detangle it. They told her to wash frequently wit Head&Shoulders and sleep with conditioner in, so she did. One night after another try to detangle her hair she got frustrated and cut about 30cm off.

Well, her hair is a pretty normal 'bleached the crap out of' color with virgin dark blonde hair now. She used bleach a few times at home after she went to the hairdressers. She has a baby now and her hair is always up in a top knot with an elastic (with metal). I am now cutting her hair because she is afraid a hairdresser will chop it all off or the experience makes her feel even worse about herself.

She wants healthy hair but also doesn't want to loose length. So we settled on cutting off the new growth every 3 months. Last night I was going to cut it but I couldn't detangle her hair to save my life. It is so very brittle, straw like, and tangles like crazy.

She showed me how she brushes it. She just starts at the top and just rips through it. When encountering a knot she just keeps on pulling. You know those clumps of hair that come out of the washing machine? Those are actually in her brush. She is really sad about her hair and feels really ugly. She is a single mom of a 7 month, and does not always have time/ energy to detangle after washing. Any tips at all are welcome.

Some pictures I posted before in the braid thread (she gave permission of course )

These where from last summer when she detangled her hair before I braided it. Still had a hard time with sections then. Also: meet my cute little nephew, oh how much I love him.

And here how she wears it a lot. Either this or a top knot.

Figured she should:

- Not pile her hair on her head while washing
    - Be gentle on her hair and use a wide toothed comb while detangling (with conditioner in the shower?)
    - Dump the elastic and use something hair friendly
    - Do a bigger chop? She is damaging healthy virgin hair aswell this way.
    - Keep it braided at all times so it is easier to detangle?
    - Do a huge S&D session?
    - Buy a good detangler spray and/ or leave in?

Thanks for reading, tried to keep it short but didn't really succeed, sorry
    Try and tell her about a conditioner that contains Silicones. I know people are going nuts about the stuff but honestly speaking I find Coney conditioners best! Also: she may need protein, so try some protein conditioner. If she is a single stay-at-home mom she could also try co-wash with Coney conditioners and shampoo once a week with a sulfate free shampoo without shampooing the length of course. Maybe she should try a leave-in conditioner on damp hair like other people suggested, but not excluding the possibility that her hair would love a leave-in when dry, brittle rather than freshly washed like my hair loves.
    Oh and try to test her comb/brush for some roughness. My comb did a thorough job on my hair for 3 years in a row.
    Last edited by leayellena; October 12th, 2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Comb problemo!

Length
    short/short/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Her hair doesn't look that bad, whenever I bleached my hair, the ends of my braid would look like a little broomstick.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Maybe the LOC/LCO method would work? At least she'd be able to detangle her hair after it's washed and it would help keep moisture in her hair between washings. A good coney conditioner, like Hello Hydration, and ROO will help ease detangling after shampooing, too. Lightly oiling her hair before she goes to bed and before brushing/detangling her hair before washing will help.

Your nephew looks adorable!
    Last edited by Jo Ann; October 12th, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

How much is she willing to accept from you? As in "teaching" her to do her hair? That's where the issue is, I think. If she is open to it all, there is no problem, you are there to coach her absolutely! But if she's a little set in her ways it may be difficult. Maybe get her a Tangle Teezer or Wet Brush (at least that won't rip as hard).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)