Thread: Hair oil recommendation 2c/3a hair?

Default Hair oil recommendation 2c/3a hair?

Can anyone recommend a good hair oil for this hair type? I have no experience with hair oils/oiling my hair. Currently growing it long and It's shoulder length. I have very thick hair. I use kerastase shampoo/conditioner and I was looking at their kerastase elixir ultime hair oil but this looks more like a serum to me? It also says you should apply to the ends but it doesn't mention roots/scalp? Here it is:

https://www.lookfantastic.com/kerast.../11160339.html

Anything you girls/guys would recommend over this?

Default Re: Hair oil recommendation 2c/3a hair?

Are you looking for a oil treatment(let sit and your hair then wash out) or oil to use after washing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellylee View Post
    Are you looking for a oil treatment(let sit and your hair then wash out) or oil to use after washing?
    Both. I want something to put in my hair for a few hours before I wash it and then something I can apply to the ends after I've washed it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Any natural oil can be put in the hair pre-wash. I wouldn't put a serum in the hair for this purpose.

If you want a "finishing oil", then you can also use either natural oil (a tiny bit) or a serum. I have had great success with the serums from IC Fantasia. They are lightweight and moisturize a good amount!

I am currently using the Hegron serum (from a local discount store in Belgium called "Action", it's their own brand). I also tend to use the Aldi serums (Kyrell brand).

Whatever you can find in a store near you, will probably do! I don't know where you are located? So that might help if people are going to be recommending stuff.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    15/47/48
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I like Apricot oil is my favorite, followed by safflower oil. Olive oil is my back up choice. Coconut oil makes my hair feel icky/doesn't really do much.
    APL~BSL~WL~HL~BCL~TBL~CL!!!
    Lady Arete of The Waltzing Blades in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/WL/Clsc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

You will likely have to do some experimenting. My hair loooves coconut oil and almond oil the most, along with some Nightblooming oil blends.

I've also tried argan, jojoba, apricot, olive, grapeseed, castor... jeez honestly I feel like I've tried almost every oil but coconut and almond came out on top. Jojoba, grapeseed and apricot were fine but not great. My hair didn't really like olive or argan. And my scalp doesn't like castor anywhere in the vicinity.
    ◊∞◊ lady seren, charter of the stars in the order of the long haired knights ◊∞◊
    CL - SL - APL- BSL - MBL- WL - HL - TBL
    last box dye: 10/2015 || last cut: 04/2016 || last henndigo: 08/2016 || last henna: 07/2017

Length
    APL/MBL72/85cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm loving Sesa oil at the moment, from my local Indian grocery store. It's coconut oil based, but contains lots of herbs that are supposedly good for seborrheic dermatitis (me!) I left it on my scalp overnight and no itchies (which isn't the case with other oils... Looking at you, EVOO)

But yeah, for the length coconut is probably going to do most work at reducing hair damage from excessive water absorption/manipulation. If your hair doesn't like it, olive is also great.

If you have a normal scalp you can probably get away with putting any oil on it (just patch test first!!)

As for a leave in, you can probably use any (since your hair is thick), I personally like a coconut/mineral oil blend. Some penetrates, some sits on the surface, in theory.
    Lady Maple
    Mistress of the
    Red-Leaf Glade in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HIP

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Any natural oil can be put in the hair pre-wash. I wouldn't put a serum in the hair for this purpose.

If you want a "finishing oil", then you can also use either natural oil (a tiny bit) or a serum. I have had great success with the serums from IC Fantasia. They are lightweight and moisturize a good amount!

I am currently using the Hegron serum (from a local discount store in Belgium called "Action", it's their own brand). I also tend to use the Aldi serums (Kyrell brand).

Whatever you can find in a store near you, will probably do! I don't know where you are located? So that might help if people are going to be recommending stuff.
    I live in London,UK

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeri View Post
    You will likely have to do some experimenting. My hair loooves coconut oil and almond oil the most, along with some Nightblooming oil blends.

I've also tried argan, jojoba, apricot, olive, grapeseed, castor... jeez honestly I feel like I've tried almost every oil but coconut and almond came out on top. Jojoba, grapeseed and apricot were fine but not great. My hair didn't really like olive or argan. And my scalp doesn't like castor anywhere in the vicinity.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizukitty View Post
    I'm loving Sesa oil at the moment, from my local Indian grocery store. It's coconut oil based, but contains lots of herbs that are supposedly good for seborrheic dermatitis (me!) I left it on my scalp overnight and no itchies (which isn't the case with other oils... Looking at you, EVOO)

But yeah, for the length coconut is probably going to do most work at reducing hair damage from excessive water absorption/manipulation. If your hair doesn't like it, olive is also great.

If you have a normal scalp you can probably get away with putting any oil on it (just patch test first!!)

As for a leave in, you can probably use any (since your hair is thick), I personally like a coconut/mineral oil blend. Some penetrates, some sits on the surface, in theory.
    I guess I will try coconut first as I mostly hear good things about it.