Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went sulfate free and now have serious dandruff Help!

Length
    18/23/30
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Question Went sulfate free and now have serious dandruff Help!

Hello everyone, long time lurker here

I went sulfate free and silicone free about three months ago, I live in the UK and use the shampoo and conditioner from the body shop. It took me a while to get used to but I definitely noticed a difference in my hair. About a month ago though I started noticing some serious dandruff or flaky scalp (when I scratch I get tonnes of white flakes coming up) I thought my hair just needed a good clean and so I used head and shoulders twice but it still hasn't gone away. Has this happened to any of you? I didn't really have a flaky scalp when I was using my Tresseme.

Thank you!

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: Went sulfate free and now have serious dandruff Help!

I would try a little bit of coconut oil, massage it on the scalp leave it for 20 mins to an hour and wash it off, some people notice some shedding if they put oil on the scalp others do not. So keep and eye on it.. I had a flaky scalp and did this once, haven't had a prob since. Good luck Braidfreak

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

It sounds like the shampoo is not cleaning your scalp in the way your scalp needs. I would give it a good clean with a shampoo you know works for your head, and then if you want to try sulphate free again, maybe look for one with different cleaning agents compared to the one you currently have.

I can't go sulphate free - all the ones I've tried have resulted in scalp acne - most of the time I have to use sulphates, sometimes I can get away with a conditioner only wash to stretch things out a bit. Different things work for different people, and unfortunately we have to find what works for our heads, rather than what we would like

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BraidFreak View Post
    I went sulfate free and silicone free about three months ago, I live in the UK and use the shampoo and conditioner from the body shop. It took me a while to get used to but I definitely noticed a difference in my hair. About a month ago though I started noticing some serious dandruff or flaky scalp (when I scratch I get tonnes of white flakes coming up) I thought my hair just needed a good clean and so I used head and shoulders twice but it still hasn't gone away. Has this happened to any of you? I didn't really have a flaky scalp when I was using my Tresseme.
    Go back to what worked aka sulfates. You may have reached the end of your time with sulfate-free and may need a good clarifying wash *all the time*. The flakes might need a few more good harsh washes. Otherwise, it may be that you have more than dandruff and in that case, an oil is the *last* thing you want to use on your scalp.

If all else fails, go see a dermatologist. Do not play when it comes to scalp-health.

I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis). I can keep it away by using sulfates every wash. The moment I go sulfate-free, after a wash or two it all goes to hell and beyond and I have a flare-up. Major scales, itchiness and redness. You can have SD even though you only have one of these things occur. I can't use an oil or conditioner on my scalp or it flares up.

It just means you can't go sulfate-free. Or, you may have to switch it up a little more often.
    Last edited by lapushka; April 20th, 2017 at 05:54 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I tried sulfate-free for a week and it failed; I got some serious dandruff and an unbearably itchy scalp after a few days of washing. Some people just need sulfates, it is what it is. Try using sulfates again and see if your issue goes away... that would be the quickest way to determine if that's the culprit.

· Into The Deep Sea · mermaid lullaby's Avatar
    Length
    20/32/33.5
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I cant use sulfate-free shampoos either. You can braid your hair and jump in the shower and keep the shampoo from getting on your length when you rinse for the same effect.
    Also, welcome to the boards!
    Last edited by mermaid lullaby; April 20th, 2017 at 06:53 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Welcome to the party, and I agree with everyone else. You may need to see your doctor to get a prescription for a medicated shampoo. There are ways to keep it off your length.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Since the sulphate-free brigade has given you other options, I will give another theory. People often change a lot of things in their routine all at once because this place is super full of exciting new stuff to try. Often people try switching to sulphate-free at the same time as stretching washes. If this is you, you may need to try washing more frequently again and taking it one experiment at a time. I already was used to stretching washes when I joined since I had never been a daily washer to start with, but that is a common hurdle. (Not everyone needs to stretch washes for that matter which the same folks who have responded about will tell you very loudly.)

This might not apply to you, but I figured it was worth a mention since it is a pretty common newbie thing

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

You could try Nizoral 2% from Boots. It's without prescription and works better than Head and Shoulders in my opinion. It will strip your hair from all of the oils so conditioner after is recommended. Good luck!

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Sounds like you need to wash more often or scrub your scalp more.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆