Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reduce tangles in straight hair?

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Question How to reduce tangles in straight hair?

I would like to help out a girl I know who has tangle-prone straight hair. Her hair density is medium, and I have estimated that her strand thickness is medium as well. She washes her hair 2 or 3 times a week (with shampoo).
    However, I don't know much yet about straight hair care. And I guess that straight hair needs a different approach for detangling than curly hair.

So I was wondering, what's your routine to reduce tangles in straight hair?

• What oils are light enough for straight hair?
    • How many times a week/month do you wash your hair with shampoo if you do?
    • How many times a day do you brush or comb your hair? I have understood that wooden pins brushes or wide-toothed combs are the best choices for straight hair.
    • Do you apply leave-in conditioner between washes?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: How to reduce tangles in straight hair?

What conditioner is she using? If she still has tangles that usually means the conditioner isn't moisturizing enough. But often it's a balance between conditioners that don't weigh down straight hair and conditioners that moisturize enough. I wouldn't get the lightest of light conditioner, but maybe not the ones for dry, damaged hair either.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Very often tangly hair is caused by buildup of some kind. First she'd need to clarify, especially if she has never done that (or it's been a while).

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I have 1 c hair, so straightish, but not pin straight (there is a pic in my profile).

I wash alternate days or every third day - which is pretty frequent by LHC standards, but I hate having greasy hair, and my scalp goes all grumpy if I go longer. I rotate through shampoos, but they all have sulfates in, so are pretty strong cleansers. I wash my scalp and let the rinse out clean the length. Once in a while I do the whole lot with herbal essences Drama Clean.

I always use conditioner on my ends, and since starting here, I've gone over to CWC or WCC. My hair likes it. I detangle dry before getting in the shower, then finger comb the conditioner through

I detangle at the moment with a mixture of finger combing, and a tangle teaser to deal with fine tangles and smooth it all out. I was using a wide toothed comb for a while but experimenting suggests it was causing far more breakage than the TT.

However, although conditioner certainly makes post wash detangling easier, and makes my ends feel nice and soft and happy, the one, the only way to stop my hair tangling during the day is to wear it either braided or bunned, especially if I'm going outside. If it is down, it will tangle unless I brush it regularly through the day. At night it also tangles less if I braid it although I've found leaving it down, but draping it up over my pillow works almost as well.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    Very often tangly hair is caused by buildup of some kind. First she'd need to clarify, especially if she has never done that (or it's been a while).
    She probably uses a SLES-contaning shampoo. So I guess that's clarifying already? Though I think that switching to a low-poo could reduce tangling significantly because the hair gets less stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphra View Post
    I have 1 c hair, so straightish, but not pin straight (there is a pic in my profile).

I detangle at the moment with a mixture of finger combing, and a tangle teaser to deal with fine tangles and smooth it all out. I was using a wide toothed comb for a while but experimenting suggests it was causing far more breakage than the TT.

However, although conditioner certainly makes post wash detangling easier, and makes my ends feel nice and soft and happy, the one, the only way to stop my hair tangling during the day is to wear it either braided or bunned, especially if I'm going outside. If it is down, it will tangle unless I brush it regularly through the day. At night it also tangles less if I braid it although I've found leaving it down, but draping it up over my pillow works almost as well.
    She has 1b/1c as well. A TT would be useful for her!

Now I'm wondering: how often do you straight-haired people use shampoo? (whether sulfate-free or not)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Maybe take a look as well at the straight & silky thread; there might be some suggestions there. And why not invite her over? We'd love to have her.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I'm 1b/1c myself and shampoo every other day (with sls-containing shampoo). I find that conditioners or leave-ins with silicones help me the most to get rid of tangles as well as the already mentioned tangle teaser.
    When it comes to natural oils I love coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment but for leave-ins between washes I prefer balms (like the famous nightblooming panacea) over natural oils.

Sylverwing, Keeper of the Moonwells in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/MBL72/85cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Pretty much what lapushka said. The more dry the hair is, the easier it is for tangles to take hold. A conditioner with silicones or a silicone serum is the best in this department as a preventative measure. If she's using SLS there shouldn't be any issues besides maybe weighed down hair if she uses it ALL over the length. But medium hair should be able to handle them okay.

A tangle teezer is a brush many swear by and I am in this camp. My fine hair really benefits from not being torn apart. Even when I try to be patient and slow with a normal brush or my fingers, I inevitably snap hairs. I haven't snapped a single one since I got the TT.
    Lady Maple
    Mistress of the
    Red-Leaf Glade in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HIP

Length
    waist/TB/long

I don't think there is any magic answer, but keeping my hair up in a bun almost every day goes a long way toward reducing tangles. Also, sleeping with it in a braid helps too. Between those two changes, I don't have nearly the tangles I spent most of my life fighting.

Length
    Bob/31"/Term?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

As a 1a/b, I've found that oils don't really help with tangling....if the ends are tangling (velcro syndrome) a trim often helps. And finding a conditioner that provides good 'slip' usually takes care of other tangling issues for me.

Start October 25, 2020: 24"
    24"...25"...26"...27"...28"...29"...30"...31"