Thread: Possible to trim out damage with ONLY S&D?

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Default Possible to trim out damage with ONLY S&D?

Hey everyone, I'd like some input from those more experienced than me haha...

So I have some bleach damage and split ends throughout my hair since it is heavily layered from growing out a short haircut. Trimming only the bottom won't work because I have splits throughout the length. The other problem is that since some of my layers are a lot shorter I can't actually see them when I'm trimming them, but I can feel them so that's how i've been finding them lol. Do you think eventually I'll be able to trim out all of the damage this way? I'm partial to fairy tale ends <3 and don't want my hair to have a blunt cut (especially in this super awkward stage).

Thanks! -LilT

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Possible to trim out damage with ONLY S&D?

Just be careful you don't thin your hair out, because thinned out hair and fairytale ends are 2 totally different things!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think it's possible, but it'd be a ton of work and you might lose some length. Honestly, you can deal with it as much or as little as you want to, depending on how easily the damaged hair can be handled. (At some point, it's almost worth going through and re-trimming the layers just to get rid of the annoyance.) Hypothetically, you could even let it grow as long as you want it, and eventually the damaged hairs will grow out past the point you're trimming at, or will shed out and be replaced. S&D will shorten how long you have to deal with those damaged hairs, if you're willing to do it enough.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

It's also goot to S&D evenly everywhere, because it's quite possible to S&D a hole into your hemline. Don't ask me how I know, lol!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I think at least until the bleach damage is trimmed out, it would be best to both microtrim and S&D to get rid of the damage. S&D only works best when only a few hairs, or part of the hair is damaged, which isn't really the case with bleach damage. You can certainly switch to S&D only once it's trimmed out, I just don't think you're going to be getting rid of enough of the damage with S&D until the bleach is gone. So I'd say a while of microtrimming until you've gotten all or most of the bleach trimmed out and then switch to S&D only if you so desire.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I really don't like S&D, personally, I find it thins my ends out. If it's just one split here and there, that's one thing, but if I have more than I can cut out in ten minutes, it's time for a trim.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

It just takes patience. Just S&D regularly...get the worst you can see...and keep at it. Only snip the ones that show actual damage.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It hasn't been possible for me. I swear it seems that S&D sessions create more splits.

is it possible? Yes. Will it look good? Probably not... while the splits will be gone, you will notice the effect on your hemline. I say go 50/50. S&d a bit, microtrim the layers and then give your hem a slightly bigger trim than you did on your layers. You'll still be growing the layers out, it will just take a tad longer.
    I'm in the same boat as you, growing out layers with damage throughout.im taking half the length off the layers than I do my hem. Slowly, I'm getting there.
    Currently tailbone. Terminal is the goal!

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Thanks for all of your inputs!

I think what I'm going to do for now is lightly S&D the parts that show visible damage. Eventually I'll start microtrimming when my hair gets longer and I can do it myself. I have an extreme distrust of hairdressers due to several bad experiences (not to mention I can't afford to go right now). In the meantime I've been wearing my hair up in two mini french braids and did a protein treatment to help with the bleach damage.