Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panicking, lots a of split ends!

Length
    15/MBL/CL?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Panicking, lots a of split ends!

so today I wore my hair in a ponytail because it was my first day at work and I’m not that great with updo’s yet. I looked at a lock of hair and found some splits and then I realised there were lots of split ends in a certain section of my hair. I haven’t S&ded for a while but I’m panicking a little... I couldn’t look at my hair more since my boss walked in
    I thought my hair was getting better since its less tangly and I’ve been doing SMT’s and recently started Catnip treatments.
    I also use the wet brush on my hair and I’m wondering if anyone who used it had this problem??
    my last trim was in june and I’m trying to stretch that

ETA: when I looked at my hair again I couldn’t find that section of hair that was abundant in splits , I did find some split ends but not that scary section that is making me anxious.
    ps; excuse my bad grammar in the tittle I wasn’t paying attention
    Last edited by miss_donya; August 14th, 2016 at 04:14 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Panicking, lots a of split ends!

You can't possibly catch all splits with one or two S&D sessions, you have to have multiple and do this regularly - if you have damage. Don't panic! It's normal. If you have a lot of splits, though, like more than half your head, trimming (microtrimming) might be a better solution.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    15/MBL/CL?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    You can't possibly catch all splits with one or two S&D sessions, you have to have multiple and do this regularly - if you have damage. Don't panic! It's normal. If you have a lot of splits, though, like more than half your head, trimming (microtrimming) might be a better solution.
    Lapushka, always there for the rescue I was actually shocked to see all of those split ends, maybe the lighting is better here? I think it was a certain section of my hair that was quite abundant with them,possibly the hair near my neck or on the sides of my face? I’ll have to search and see; its the first time I see these many.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by miss_donya View Post
    Lapushka, always there for the rescue I was actually shocked to see all of those split ends, maybe the lighting is better here? I think it was a certain section of my hair that was quite abundant with them,possibly the hair near my neck or on the sides of my face? I’ll have to search and see; its the first time I see these many.
    Have fun S&D'ing! Maybe put it up in a ponytail again, maybe that's the reason you saw them that fast!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    15/MBL/CL?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Have fun S&D'ing! Maybe put it up in a ponytail again, maybe that's the reason you saw them that fast!
    I tried sectioning my hair and S&Ding, it took almost an hour if not more and I felt like I was becoming cross-eyed. I didn’t even do the right side

Length
    BSL/WL+/Clas
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Same problem here, haven't s&d-ed in a while and I suddenly see a lot of split ends !

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It takes a lot of S&Ding to get them all, so don't freak out about it.

Think of it this way: If you've got 100,000 hairs on your head (a bit of a round number, but roughly average) and only 1% of them have splits (barely enough to notice), you've got 1000 hairs to find and snip. Did you S&D 1000 hairs last time? Probably not, maybe a few hundred. These things take time. Thankfully, hair also takes time to split, and more time as it gets healthier, so you can make progress. Don't get down on yourself because your efforts haven't fixed it yet.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

When I started, I had lots of splits too. I never tried to get them all in the beginning. Instead I just went after a few every day until finally they surrendered and ran out. You might find many small sessions less depressing than a few huge ones.

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

I set out an hour yesterday to do an S&D and was shocked to see more split ends just below the crown of my hair at the back. I was almost cross-eyed before the end of the hour but I persisted. I have scheduled to do an S&D more frequently. My next due date is 2 weeks from yesterday. Also I found it is best to alternate example if I started the first S&D from myou RHS front the next time I start from the left, another time I start at my crown. In this way I hope to remove as much as I can see with each sitting and avoid a trim. As before I joined TLHC I had a big cut from just below waist to BSL. Had I the knowledge that I recently gained I could have maybe save some length. However I am so happy my hair is softer, smoother and healthier looking

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Oh I have this as well. Especially when I put it up in a ponytail because then you see the split ends you forgot while S&D'ing with your hair down. Guess that's life, I wouldn't freak out because of it!