Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extremely shy waves

Default Extremely shy waves

Alright, so a month ago I posted this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=138756 about my hair type changing. I've been experimenting for the last month with some methods to enhance my waves, including plopping, leave-in, gel, LOC, etc.

I have learned that my hair is just too fine and thin to do well with any product left in it. And the only thing so far that brings out the waves significantly is shampoo bars. Unfortunately, I don't really like the texture I'm left with while using them. It ends up rather rough and tangle-prone. Even just minor finger detangling pulls the waves out, as well. But it seems to me that it is the lack of conditioner that is letting those waves emerge- even just a little bit of weight from the coating ingredients left from conditioner pulls the waves out.

Here are a few things I've thought of to try: replacing conditioner with catnip, using a shampoo/conditioner combo (like Wen?), using a shampoo that folks have said don't need a conditioner after (specifically, Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo).

So, does anyone have suggestions? I'd like to find an extremely light shampoo that doesn't have any (or many) coating ingredients, and maybe a super light conditioner as well. I don't know if there is such a thing!

I love my hair no matter what the texture is, so even if I can't get my waves out consistently, I'll still be happy. But I want to explore all my options first!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Extremely shy waves

I think in the end, just use what you *need* to use to keep tangles and mechanical damage at bay, and that usually means you need some sort of conditioning agent. And then whatever remains is what you have to work with, and in the end it is in part accepting what your texture can and cannot do. For the most part.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think in the end, just use what you *need* to use to keep tangles and mechanical damage at bay, and that usually means you need some sort of conditioning agent. And then whatever remains is what you have to work with, and in the end it is in part accepting what your texture can and cannot do. For the most part.
    Very true! It is quite likely that I will stick to using a conditioner, even if it means sacrificing my waves. But I want to explore all my options first! And perhaps I'll be able to find a very light conditioner that still allows my waves to show... I can hope, anyway!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Well, a shampoo shouldn't coat. They're supposed to remove that stuff! XD

One thing that might be worth trying is a bit of protein. It varies a lot person-to-person, but it seems like it might make your waves a bit more robust, if your hair is OK with it. That said, I hear you -- my waves brush out to not much pretty readily. Since I wear my hair contained normally, I don't stress about that.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by leilan View Post
    Very true! It is quite likely that I will stick to using a conditioner, even if it means sacrificing my waves. But I want to explore all my options first! And perhaps I'll be able to find a very light conditioner that still allows my waves to show... I can hope, anyway!
    I think the Pantene Aqua Light conditioner is quite a light one. I have used it in the past at some point and it did not weigh my hair down. Also, the Inecto coconut conditioner (can't get my tangles out, it is so light) might be a good one to try as well. If they have that one in the US.

The Inecto has no silicones.
    Last edited by lapushka; August 9th, 2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added info
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Well, a shampoo shouldn't coat. They're supposed to remove that stuff! XD

One thing that might be worth trying is a bit of protein. It varies a lot person-to-person, but it seems like it might make your waves a bit more robust, if your hair is OK with it. That said, I hear you -- my waves brush out to not much pretty readily. Since I wear my hair contained normally, I don't stress about that.
    Anje, I've found that quite often with sulfate-free shampoos, they are chock full of plant extracts, some of which can leave a coating, I believe. And with regular shampoos, I know that some have started putting cones in.

I have actually been experimenting with protein, too! For the past month I've been using Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner, which has been making my hair feel very soft. And I tried a very short gelatin treatment, since it was my first one. I want to try a longer one, though! So far, my hair seems to like protein pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think the Pantene Aqua Light conditioner is quite a light one. I have used it in the past at some point and it did not weigh my hair down. Also, the Inecto coconut conditioner (can't get my tangles out, it is so light) might be a good one to try as well. If they have that one in the US.

The Inecto has no silicones.
    Thank you for the product recs, lapushka! I'll look into both of those.

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

What about a citric acid or ACV rinse to follow up your use of shampoo bars? (I'm pretty sure I remember you posting a thread about troubleshooting shampoo bars [I really hope I'm remembering correctly! eek!]; can't remember if you were using an acidic rinse.) Maybe you can try a combination of things? Maybe using catnip tea/chamomile tea/other herbs as the "water" to dilute your acidic rinse? There are plenty of herbal conditioner substitutes. I've never bought from her personally so I can't recommend anything, but maybe you can look around this Etsy shop for ideas.

Protein is a good suggestion, as Anje said.

What about homemade flax seed gel as an enhancement for your waves? Again, I haven't used it so I can't make a personal recommendation, but I've read through the thread and I know that you can make it as strong or as weak as you need for you hair, and it shouldn't leave it hard like commercial gels.

Of course, there's always braids and buns to enhance waves, but I get it, that's not your "natural" texture. I'm sure I'd have way more wave to my hair if I didn't use conditioner/let it dry without combing or touching it (my hair seems to want to burst out of its 1b classification sometimes, especially at the very ends), but I have no plans to do that because it'd be unmanageable and probably would drive me up a wall.
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Quote Originally Posted by samanthaa View Post
    What about a citric acid or ACV rinse to follow up your use of shampoo bars? (I'm pretty sure I remember you posting a thread about troubleshooting shampoo bars [I really hope I'm remembering correctly! eek!]; can't remember if you were using an acidic rinse.) Maybe you can try a combination of things? Maybe using catnip tea/chamomile tea/other herbs as the "water" to dilute your acidic rinse? There are plenty of herbal conditioner substitutes. I've never bought from her personally so I can't recommend anything, but maybe you can look around this Etsy shop for ideas.

Protein is a good suggestion, as Anje said.

What about homemade flax seed gel as an enhancement for your waves? Again, I haven't used it so I can't make a personal recommendation, but I've read through the thread and I know that you can make it as strong or as weak as you need for you hair, and it shouldn't leave it hard like commercial gels.

Of course, there's always braids and buns to enhance waves, but I get it, that's not your "natural" texture. I'm sure I'd have way more wave to my hair if I didn't use conditioner/let it dry without combing or touching it (my hair seems to want to burst out of its 1b classification sometimes, especially at the very ends), but I have no plans to do that because it'd be unmanageable and probably would drive me up a wall.
    You are remembering correctly! I have been using an ACV rinse, but apart from the very first one, I've gotten pretty poor results. No help in detangling or softening. I will check out that etsy shop, though! Thank you. I'm just not sure I like the shampoo bars to stick with them.

Flaxseed gel is something I've seen and considered, but I kind of figured I'd wait on trying it until I could get my waves to show up reliably, lol!

I haven't found a good braid or bun that gives me waves that I like, unfortunately. I have very thin, fine hair, so even a single braid gives me very tight waves, and I end up with Hermione-level poofy hair. Cinnabuns give be some very weird, kinky waves. Are there any others I should try?

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

^ Braiding with a thick paranda should give you looser waves! And waves that go all the way to the ends of your hair, as long as your make your paranda long enough. A sock bun is great for curls. I also get some wave with a nautilus, but it never ends up staying. Braid waves stay better for me than bun waves.

We have very similar hair classifications (my ponytail circumference is just a tiny bit smaller than yours at 2.5"), I'm realizing, except I'm a 1b. I'm surprised braid waves are that crazy for you! I personally love the extra volume braid waves give me.
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Paranda braids maybe, they also help you to braid all the way to the tippy tips, so no straight hem.

(oops, samantha beat me)

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.