Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you detangle your hair?

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Default How do you detangle your hair?

Well the title says it all.

I have curly hair, as you can see in the profile badge. Whenever I take a shower there are a few tangles, that I can't detangle by just combing my hair, and normally, if I'm in a rush, i just brute force it, resulting in ripping my hair.

What do you fellow curly hair life companions do?

M

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: How do you detangle your hair?

They say curly hair is always best detangled wet with conditioner on it. Start from the bottom with your WT comb, and go up the strands of hair until you reach the roots. Do it in sections (at least 4).

That said, it is also good to detangle pre-shower, on dry hair, WT comb first, then brush. You are going to be washing it, so the lack of definition after a combing/brushing should not bother you. And it saves your drain!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    12/30/30

https://www.tangleteezer.com/proddet...d=TC-DR-010216 I can't praise Tangle Teezer range of brushes enough, and have used nothing else since their invention in 2007. They now make a brand new version specifically designed for thick curly hair It is also suitable for anyone with Afro hair. Please explore their whole website to find out lots more information and tutorials. Tangle Teezer are available world wide now.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie-ENGLAND View Post
    https://www.tangleteezer.com/proddet...d=TC-DR-010216 I can't praise Tangle Teezer range of brushes enough, and have used nothing else since their invention in 2007. They now make a brand new version specifically designed for thick curly hair It is also suitable for anyone with Afro hair. Please explore their whole website to find out lots more information and tutorials. Tangle Teezer are available world wide now.
    Same here. I had my first one for a decade, yes! It lasted me that long, with only weekly brushing, of course, so... wasn't used *that* much, I don't think. But the bristles were bent beyond recognition.

I might try the one for thick hair, once I'm done with the one I'm currently using, and my last back-up.

The one for thick hair does appeal to me... I might cave.

Length
    12/30/30

I use my very first 'Original' Tangle Teezer on my rescued cat, now that it is too worn out for my hair. They have a life and once the bristles start bending a lot after years of use, they don't work so well (same as a toothbrush). https://youtu.be/I1OLlsW0eRA This is my video showing my cat enjoying his Tangle Teezer brushing session.

Type
    1a/F/i

For curly hair, when you shower and put your conditioner or treatment in, use your fingers to comb through the hair until you no longer get stuck. After shower use a wide tooth comb and spray some anti tangle spray especially for curls onto your hair, and then start brushing with the comb from the bottom to the top. So basically start at the tips of your hair, and as the lower parts are detangled, move higher up, until you finally can comb from the top of your skull to the bottom. Then put some oil of your choice, I use coconut oil, and let it dry.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Also, it all depends on what conditioner you use as well. I recommend *only* getting conditioners that are rich and moisturizing, typically those are the ones for dry and damaged hair. Don't use lighter conditioners or you will have tangles.

I condition twice, both with moisturizing products and I have 0 tangles most of the time (sometimes depends product to product). This is how I save on wear & tear. I don't like tangles much at all, not on wet hair I don't, because the hair is more prone to breakage at that point.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I have fine hair. I can't detangle when its dry I simply hear way to much snapping. I find it best to comb in shower with conditioner then again after the shower. If I don't comb it a particular way it dries and will maintain its shape so I always make sure to comb it the direction I want it to lay. This is very true for my bangs. If they dry in one place I can't make them lay any other way unless I rewat. I actually always thought it was odd to wait until your hairs dry. But I know its different for everyone.
    Who knows what I'm gonna do with my hair anymore...

Length
    Buzz/Hip/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I detangle before i get into the shower, but if there are some stubborn tangles then i detangle in the shower with lots of conditioner. I love using a pick for detangling my hair.

ETA: oops, my hair is not curly!

Length
    25/381/2/43
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I brush my hair out before getting in the shower. I use a conditioner,rinse and then I detangle wet hair. I can't detangle dry either as hannabiss stated and for the same reason. I have this old tupperware hair teaser that they made years ago and it works great on my hair as a detangler and I just love it! you can still find them but their a little spendy since they don't make them anymore.