Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wondering about others with 2a fine hair like me

Length
    14 in/17/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Wondering about others with 2a fine hair like me

What is your hair like after shampooing for the comb out? I have a patch on top at the back by my crown that is the most snarly. Is it the little wave and curls that make it harder to comb? Just wondering how others manage this hair type and how you feel about it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Wondering about others with 2a fine hair like me

Judging from your avatar pic you might be more wavy than you think. Try posting a hairtyping picture for us to see, then type you. You just S/C and toweldry, don't touch your hair with a comb - nothing. Just let it dry then snap a picture.

That might be the reason you have an issue with combing out that "patch" of hair.

Also, are you using good moisturizing conditioners? I generally tend to use conditioners for dry, damaged hair on my lengths. Not because my hair is dry or damaged (it's virgin hair), but because those are the most moisturizing conditioners on the market. It will make it to the point where it's tangle-free, or as good as, which will make combing out a breeze.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I tend to get knots at the right side of my nape, for some strange reason.
    My hair requires really heavy moisturizing conditioners. But what I've recently begun doing is to not comb it until it's dry. I think I learned that from one of Gossamer's videos - she braids her hair while still wet then puts it up, but doesn't detangle until later. She said in the video that most of the tangles aren't real, they're only because it's wet. So I finally tried that, and if I wait until my hair is dry, detangling is actually really easy now! I know it's not good for waves (frizz) but I don't care, I'm never combing it wet again! And usually bunning it for a while takes care of the frizz.
    ETA I can see now that if I try to detangle wet hair, it's like every knot I undo generates a bunch more in the undoing.

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have this same issue with my crown if I comb my hair with conditioner when my head is flipped over, and flip back. So I normally don't flip my hair over my head to detangle anymore, it just causes more tangles!

Also make sure you're not doing it post-shampoo, and detangle when you have conditioner in your hair. I've tried to detangle post-shampoo and it's nearly impossible, I need the slip of a conditioner to help.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12/28/32
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Seconding Pailin's recommendation to leave detangling til hair is completely dry. I started this (with great reservations) also because of Gossamer's advice and continue to be amazed that my tangle-prone hair benefits greatly from this method.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Yes, I also have discovered that it is best to not detangle till my hair is dry. There are times when I HAVE to, in order to look presentable, but when I have a choice, I let it totally dry before touching it.

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I find it easy to comb through my hair after shampooing and conditioning. I tend to use heavy conditioners though, so it could be that. The only time it's knotty and I wouldn't be able comb through is when I've just dyed, so I don't bother until it's had a good conditioning. Maybe you need to change your products, I usually use products for dry hair so you get extra moisturising.
    shoulder 16" - apl 20" - bsb 24" -mbl 25" - waist 28" - hip 32" - bcl 36"

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Please, if you have *any* wave to your hair, do *not* comb or brush it when dry, or it will go *POOF*.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Please, if you have *any* wave to your hair, do *not* comb or brush it when dry, or it will go *POOF*.
    I can attest to this statement, I learned the hard way and only remedied it yesterday

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

My hair is quite a bit straighter than yours but uncharacteristically tangly for my hair type. If your hair is snarly when wet, I suggest brushing dry right before getting into the shower to wash your hair. Then do it a second time in the shower, only this time with a gentler comb and hair that is wet and soaked in conditioner.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆