Thread: Trimming advice

Length
    12/TBL!!/???
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Trimming advice

Hello!
    I'd like to do a bit of a self-trim, since my ends are getting scraggly and my hairdresser always cuts off too much...
    I want a bit of a U-shape, using Feye's method. I plan on picking up some haircutting shears to use. Any advice/ wise words of comfort?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Trimming advice

Cut less than you want to. You can always cut more, later, but while you are just learning, just cut a little bit until you get it figured out. Have fun I love self - trimming.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Trim in little bits--about 1/2" (about 1 cm)...it's always better to cut off a little than a lot

And use those shears ONLY for cutting hair!

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

As they say, measure twice, cut once. When you band your hair for Feye's method, practice a few times first...make sure it looks right before you cut. Then micro trim. You can always cut more later if you need/want.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I agree! Study her guidelines well, print them out if you have to, or write them down. Then go slow. Make a ponytail, make sure it's all even, do it again if it's not perfect. Then cut a *small* amount of hair for the V shape, and cut a small amount again to even it out into a U (you need to put a V into it first). So you need to snip twice, keep that in mind!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

A 'short cut' of sorts is the under the chin method by spidermom.

I actually prefer it and get better results..... just look ahead, making sure the hair is even and snug under my chin with a hair tie.
    Then I use a small crea clip,starting from the tie and sliding it to the end..... but I used to just use my fingers; Spidermom uses a book, closing the hair between the covers.

Occasionally when I am done that I will do a middle part, bring my hair to the front, and then compare each side to be sure they are even;but one snip usually gives a soft U shape hemline.

Good luck; hope you post pics

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Cut less than you want to. You can always cut more, later, but while you are just learning, just cut a little bit until you get it figured out. Have fun I love self - trimming.
    This. Cut less than you want.

Also, if you're not happy after two tries, stop anyway. You can always just tuck it into a bun so no one can see the ends. Perfectionism has cost a few people more inches than they wanted, and it's hard to get perfection when you're dealing with the back of your own head, or to determine that you've achieved it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!