Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakage Help

Length
    7.5/17/27
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Breakage Help

I am hoping to get some tips on dealing with breakage.

I have some pretty serious breakage and split ends throughout my hair, but can't bring myself to do another chop (I kept it in a pixie for years, grew it out pretty healthy, and had a bleach-crazy stylist give me insane damage -- my intro post gives a more detailed summary of hair history for anyone curious).

The damage is throughout my head, starting about 3-4" down from the scalp. I know there's no magic pill except scissors, but I'm looking to reduce/slow breakage and splitting, let the broken pieces grow and catch up a little, and prevent future breakage. If anyone has tips and product recommendations on caring for delicate hair, it's greatly appreciated!

Side note: I am on a budget and don't have a ton of time to devote to my hair. I know these two factors will prevent me from having perfect hair, I just want to see what I can maybe add into my routine to get better hair. I'd really like for my husband to be able to run his fingers through it again.

Length
    Chin/Waist/BCL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Breakage Help

What have you tried so far?

Length
    7.5/17/27
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Honestly, nothing. I didn't have to work to keep my hair healthy before the bleachpocalypse. I mean I know heat styling is a no-no, don't brush it when it' wet, etc. But I haven't tried anything specific, because I've never had long hair before and don't want to do anything to make it worse.

Length
    Chin/Waist/BCL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

How long is your hair now?

My suggestions would be wearing it in protective styles as much as possible, gentle handling, and search and destroy to keep splits at bay, which I've found just make tangling and breakage worse. You could also look into various treatments to help strengthen or prevent breakage, things like protein and/or treatments, cassia (can give a slight yellow tint if your hair is very light however), catnip tea, oiling. There is also a relatively newish treatment called olaplex I just recently heard of... I cannot vouch for it myself but it is supposed to do wonders for chemically damaged hair. Might be worth doing some research on.

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Many people on here use oils. It wont actually repair any damage, but it will often make the hair feel softer and smoother. Some people use only tiny amounts (like a drip or two) as a leave in after showering and others do deep treatments where they slather on great amounts and let it sit for a couple of hours before its washed out. Two of the most popular oils (which are also pretty cheap and easy to find) seem to be coconut oil and olive oil, but there are a lot more out there. Check out the "recipes, henna and herbal haircare" -forum for tips

Welcome to the forum!

Length
    Chin/Waist/BCL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by surruh View Post
    How long is your hair now?

My suggestions would be wearing it in protective styles as much as possible, gentle handling, and search and destroy to keep splits at bay, which I've found just make tangling and breakage worse. You could also look into various treatments to help strengthen or prevent breakage, things like protein and/or treatments, cassia (can give a slight yellow tint if your hair is very light however), catnip tea, oiling. There is also a relatively newish treatment called olaplex I just recently heard of... I cannot vouch for it myself but it is supposed to do wonders for chemically damaged hair. Might be worth doing some research on.
    Sorry that should say "protein and/or moisture treatments"

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Watery Leave-In (I use Dove, made a thread about it) and Oil over the Leave-In. And in between when you feel that your hair is dry some pure water from a spray bottle. It helps me to moisturize my dry hair and moisturized hair gets less split ends. And S&D when you have time. I don't do it because I don't have splits but many people here do it regularly and it works.

Edit: Yes, and conditioners and shampoos with protein.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    7.5/17/27
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Thank you everyone! I bought some coconut oil, and I'll try that next time I'm due to wash my hair.
    I'll have to try to find some good shears to S&D ... All I have are dull scissors, and I think that might make it worse over time.
    My hair is 4-5" below my shoulders now. I'm thinking of cutting it to a below the chin bob to get rid of the worse of it once and for all, but without going super short. I'll miss buns and braids.

Quote Originally Posted by surruh View Post
    You could also look into various treatments to help strengthen or prevent breakage, things like protein and/or treatments, cassia (can give a slight yellow tint if your hair is very light however), catnip tea, oiling. There is also a relatively newish treatment called olaplex I just recently heard of... I cannot vouch for it myself but it is supposed to do wonders for chemically damaged hair. Might be worth doing some research on.
    I've had Olaplex mixed in with colour before, and it was fantastic. I credit it for how healthy my hair was before the "highlights". I'm considering using henna dye though, and I doubt those two would "play nice" together.

Would henna cause breakage over previous chemically dyed hair? Would the cassia give some warmer/golden tones to medium brown hair?

Thanks again everyone for your answers. I'm sure my questions are silly to those who have experience with long hair, so I really appreciate it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd use plenty of silicones on it, that's the only thing that can "contain" and preserve the hair before it snaps. I grew out a perm riddled with white dots (and almost all breaking hairs) from shoulder to hip that way. Yes, you still get breakage, but it isn't nearly as bad as it would be.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I'd use plenty of silicones on it, that's the only thing that can "contain" and preserve the hair before it snaps. I grew out a perm riddled with white dots (and almost all breaking hairs) from shoulder to hip that way. Yes, you still get breakage, but it isn't nearly as bad as it would be.
    YES! YES! I forgot my beloved silicones!!!
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s