Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair dryer suggestions?

Length
    chin/CB/Hip+
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Hair dryer suggestions?

So, with winter coming to Oklahoma pretty much this week, I realized I might need a new hair dryer. The one I have works okay, but the "cool setting" is actually just a trigger I have to hold down in order to get air that is not heated. I usually end up using the "warm" setting to save my finger some pain. The warm setting is not hot by any means and is likely a hair safe temp, but I have finally broken up with higher heat and I don't want to slip back into a cycle where I use high heat on the regular. Does anyone have a recommendation for a dryer with a cool setting I don't have to hold down? OR Is a cool setting even necessary if my current warm setting is not uncomfortable to skin?

Length
    19/25.5/33
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hair dryer suggestions?

Every dryer I've ever used has a cool button that has to be held down, I always wondered why they make them like that rather than making just a cool setting! I would just use the warm setting, I do and as you said it's a comfortable temperature so I would think it would be fine. A few days back I saw someone post temperatures that they took from using a hair dryer, they didn't seem all that high really.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I have a Revlon dryer I got at Target about a year ago. It has hot-warm-cool plus the cold shot button, and then high-low speed. I don't know what model it is, and maybe they don't make this model anymore because they change all the time, but try checking at Target or Walmart to see if there's other Revlon models that might work. It's a decent enough dryer, although honestly I never use the cool setting because it takes too long for my hair to dry as it is. I use hot and warm settings with a diffuser, but really only for about 5 minutes just to help take the soaking wet off.

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have a tresemme dryer with 3 settings. Cold, Luke warm and hot. It also has a cols shot button, not sure why as it's got the cold setting.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Just have a look around and see. The things you need to look out for are:

- cool shot button
    - separate temperature setting (multiple preferably)
    - separate speed setting (multiple preferably)
    - diffuser attachement (it's just a bonus)
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/F/i

My mother just bought a hair dryer that has a cool setting you can switch to, not one to be held down. I think now a days they're easy to find - I'd say try Target or Walmart and if not there you can find anything on Amazon and Ebay. :P

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The one I've had for several years now has separate hot-warm-cool and high-low-off sliders on it. I looked for that specifically (even though I really don't use the thing that often anyway). Realistically, you just gotta go hunting around in the stores -- they do exist. Mine was probably a $10-$15 Walmart one.

Failing that, I'll bet a shop vac with the hose stuck in the output side would do the same thing.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

My hair dryer has the button and a switch-cool setting. They work the same, so I have no idea why there are two identical settings but two ways to trigger it, but I'm not complaining!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I posted in the Conventional Products forum about the YouReel I just bought. That should be enough for a search. Out and about now but can post link later.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

I have one with a cool/warm/hot setting as well as a low/medium/high speed with the cool shot button... the cool setting is not exactly cold air but it is definitely not warm/hot for sure. It's a Babyliss I got for a good deal on Amazon... I always used Conair and Revlon dryers in the past but this one is nicer for sure. Lighter weight, quieter, and dries faster.