Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which oils are ok to use in the winter?

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Which oils are ok to use in the winter?

I'm talking about freezing weather. I guess coconut oil is about as damaging as going out with wet hair,because of it solidifying.
    Anyway what happens to oils on hair in the freezing weather? Are they even safe to use? Is it better to use silicones or even nothing at all?

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Which oils are ok to use in the winter?

I don't think coconut oil in the winter is damaging unless you're hair has a ton slathered in it...I doubt a pea sized amount used as a leave in withh harm your hair, maybe make it slightly stiff of show up slightly white. I would think just returning back inside would melt the oil again and you'd be fine. For winter, if you're worried about using coconut you could mix coconut with another oil like olive or any other oil that doesn't solidify. You could use any hair oil you like that doesn't solidify, or yes you could use cones. If your hair likes them they're not bad, but if you're hair doesn't like them it wouldn't be worth it.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I like olive oil and coconut oil for the winter. Personally, I don't do cones but it's up to you.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Is coconut oil an observed problem, or only a hypothesized one? I know that it's solid at room temperature in my apartment, and that at least some of my hair is room temperature, but I've never had a problem with it. Why would being even further below its freezing point make a difference?
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I stick to sweet almond oil and mineral oil year round. I don't go out much in freezing temperatures, so coconut oil would be safe with me. I have it but stopped using it, because I like the other oils better (no particular reason why).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20/26/33
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Don't do coconut oil, trust me You are safe with basically anything that is liquid at the temperature you are at ( jojoba, olive, almond etc etc)
    Neck length 44cm -> APL 55 cm -> BSL 68cm -> Waist 85cm-> Hip 90cm -> BCL 96cm

I've used coconut oil for winters and have never had any problems. In fact, winter is when I slather it on most and spend most of winter with fully oiled hair. I wear my hair oiled in protective styles, either bunned or braided and usually wear a hat over the bun but when I wear two braids they are exposed.

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

What 11eleven said.

Unless you are talking about getting your hair dripping wet with coconut oil, there's no way it could damage your hair on its own.
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Coconut oil shouldn't actually be bad, even if you did use a lot and it solidified in your hair. It's not like water freezing where it expands and has some potential to rupture things.

But yeah, a lot of people like to switch to oils that stay liquid in their bathroom in the winter. (Coconut oil is typically semi-solid for me in the summer as well, so I don't fully understand the distinction.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Multiple Accounts

If you're worried about raw coconut oil being a potential problem, perhaps try fractionated coconut oil i.e capric/caprylic triglycerides.
    Last edited by goldenears; October 27th, 2014 at 09:40 AM.