Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SLS=happy scalp?

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Default SLS=happy scalp?

So I've stopped trying to stretch washes since it's been humid and I've noticed that my scalp has zero dandruff. Zero. This is a change from dandruff everywhere. Could the SLS have anything to do with it? I use the Aussie moist shampoo.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Type
    2c/C/iii

Default Re: SLS=happy scalp?

It's the opposite for me. SLS dries my scalp out, which causes it to flake, so the more often I use SLS shampoo, the more dandruff I get. Which is why I don't use SLS anymore, except when clarifying. But we're all different, so I'm sure SLS could reduce dandruff for some people.

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I found the Sulfate free stuff made my dandruff multiply. I'm not entirely sure why but I'm thinking, it was so gentle, it didn't do ****. I also no longer get the "itchies" with more frequent washing and sls. YMMV.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I know sl(e)s shampoos keep my SD at bay, so yes, it could matter.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    shrug/33/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Everyone's scalp is different but SLS shampoos certainly keep my psoriasis happy.
    Please look at my baking blog: http://princesscupcakescakes.blogspot.co.uk/

Length
    0-2/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I thought my scalp was okay with SLS, but I clarified my hair a few weeks ago and my scalp still hasn't recuperated from it. It got much, much itchier than it had been the past months, and the flakes... my word, the flakes. It was like a proper snowstorm if I scratched and fluffed my hair around. Not pretty. :*/
    ...Did anybody say purple?!
    CBL APL MBL Waist Hip TBL Classic

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I've only ever used SLS shampoo and I've never had dandruff or any kind of scalp problem (itchiness, dryness, etc), so there you go. I think it just depends on the person.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Length
    SL/SL/WL
    Type
    3a/C/ii

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've always used SLS shampoos (usually Herbal Essences or Aussie) and never really had any itchy scalp or dandruff problems, but about a month or two ago I switched to SLS-free (Nature's Gate) and my head has been crazy itchy ever since. I thought maybe my scalp just needed time to adjust and it would get better, but it didn't. The last few times I washed I skipped the shampoo and co-washed with the Nature's Gate conditioner only and now I'm not itchy. So maybe there's something in the Nature's Gate shampoo that's irritating my scalp, I'm not sure... I think I'm going to try a different brand of SLS-free shampoo and see if I have the same problem. I don't want to co-wash all the time as I don't feel like it really gets my hair/scalp clean, but I want shampoo that's going to be gentle on my hair. Grrr Maybe I need to just go back to SLS shampoo because the itchy scalp can't possibly be good for my hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Don't feel bad, some scalps just can't handle "milder". Just do what your hair, and scalp want and you'll be happy.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

It's a common misconception that dandruff = dry scalp. While dry skin can cause flaking, often dandruff is actually caused by fungus (which, IIRC, feeds on sebum) or simply an overly oily scalp. In these cases, using a nice, harsh detergent that strips the oil is actually helping your scalp.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB