Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a healthy hair tip you believe in, but are really bad at doing?

Length
    Chin/Hip+!/Class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default What's a healthy hair tip you believe in, but are really bad at doing?

We all want long, beautiful, healthy hair, but some healthy hair tips are harder to follow than others! Which ones do you have trouble with? Personally, I have trouble with not brushing my hair when it's wet. It looks nasty and knotted when I get out of the shower, and finger-combing takes forever.

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: What's a healthy hair tip you believe in, but are really bad at doing?

Same as you. I always brush my hair when wet. I can't walk around with the post-shower wet, tangly mess (and it's a wet tangly mess whatever I do with it in the shower) because it just annoys me, so I brush it.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i

Default Re: What's a healthy hair tip you believe in, but are really bad at doing?

I have trouble with varying my hair so I don't always part it the same or bun it the same to reduce damage to certain areas. I know I shouldn't use two elastics every day to make a bun, but sometimes my pins won't hold at work and sometimes elastics are the first things I find when in a hurry. I've got some shorter sticks ordered so maybe I can wear sticks more (I'm not a huge fan of the longer 7 inch ones I got recently). I tend to wear my bun low and I know I don't vary my hairstyle enough but hey, at least I don't use heat and the only product I use is smoothing serums since it's winter and dry out!

Length
    19/23.5/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Most definitely not brushing my hair when it's wet. I detangle in the shower with CO in my hair, but then I still feel this need to fix my part and brush my hair when I get out, even if my hair isn't tangley! It's a stupid habit that I need to break. And I'm still using elastics in my hair...but that's mostly because I just got my hair long enough to get it into a bun, and I use the elastics very loosely. I don't think hair sticks could hold it up yet.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Detangling before a wash is key if you don't want a tangled mess after showering. So there's variations to how you brush out later (tangled mess versus not so tangled mess).

We blowdry (diffuse dry) over here. I don't consider it a "hairsin". IMMHO it's a perfectly normal thing to do (we're out of the darkages, ladies, please). Since it's on cool to warm, I don't consider it damaging - and it isn't. I've grown past hip twice now and haven't seen damage from years of blowdrying. The key is not to round brush (style) and to have the temperature to a comfortable level (if you can hold your hand in the airstream without it burning, you're okay). It's all in how you use your tools!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm learning so much on here! What's wrong with wet combing? I detangle in the shower, then use the wide toothed wooden comb right out of the shower, and it doesn't feel like it's doing damage - otherwise, when are you supposed to brush?
    And I agree with Lapushka - I think it's ok to blow dry on the cool setting? Isn't it just like having your hair in a breeze? I thought it's the heat in the hairdryer that does the damage?
    Can I call it BSL?
    SL -APL - BSL - Waist - Hip (my goals are getting longer too, thanks LHC!)

Length
    12/20/26
    Type
    1a/F/i

Wearing my hair up! I know that it helps prevent damage, but I just can't bring myself to do it when I go out in public. I do my best to keep it up when I'm at home, but I don't like how I look with it up, so I never keep it up when I leave the house. It drives me crazy because I know it'd be very beneficial to keep it up all the time, even if just for a few months.

Length
    Waist/Clasc/?
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Lapushka if it helps to convince even traditional methods in India had heat drying component. Since our hair was super thick and long our grandmother would heat up some coal add fragrant bits of wood (?) called sambrani and cover it with large metal sieve and have us lay down over it with our hair spread over the sieve. In cooler months this was heavenly and your hair would be fragrant. I also use blowdryer --as long as you keep moving it around and keep it far enough I dont see a problem. In salons they point the blowdryer at a section of hair and pull it with a brush--that is damaging as you are changing the structure of hair with heat and tension but using it to evaporate excess water--sound common sense so you are not walking around with wet hair all day--that is more damaging.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Keeping hair up in a protective style - I don't like wearing my hair up, I think it looks ugly. So I wear it down. Quite frankly, I don't care if it's damaging. I am growing my hair long(er) and want to enjoy it, not have it contained 24/7.

Length
    Chin/Hip+!/Class
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Detangling before a wash is key if you don't want a tangled mess after showering. So there's variations to how you brush out later (tangled mess versus not so tangled mess).

We blowdry (diffuse dry) over here. I don't consider it a "hairsin". IMMHO it's a perfectly normal thing to do (we're out of the darkages, ladies, please). Since it's on cool to warm, I don't consider it damaging - and it isn't. I've grown past hip twice now and haven't seen damage from years of blowdrying. The key is not to round brush (style) and to have the temperature to a comfortable level (if you can hold your hand in the airstream without it burning, you're okay). It's all in how you use your tools!
    I always make sure my hair is 100% tangle free before washing, but it still gets super tangled in the shower. Like, if I try to brush it with conditioner still in, I have a hard time, so I don't bother; maybe it's my hair type? I don't know.
    I've found that if I attempt to dry my hair on the cool setting of the hair dryer, it takes so much longer to dry it than if I had the setting on hot. I figure my hair will air dry on its own in about two hours, so I just put it in a braid and forget about it.