Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is my hair dry knotty and tangled?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Why is my hair dry knotty and tangled?

HI all!

Here is some things on what I do, I use SLS free shampoo, and cone free conditioner and products, I wash once a week. I clarified last week and deep conditioned, but my hair has been feeling very rough dry and tangled and just looks awful like a nest.

What am I doing wrong here?

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Why is my hair dry knotty and tangled?

Have you chelated recently, particularly if you live in a hard water area or swim regularly?

If not, try that. Some people recommend strong vinegar rinses or club soda rinses, but IMO the best is to simply get a chelating shampoo (often marketed as swimmer's shampoo) and use that occasionally. Weaker vinegar rinses (e.g. 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 medium glass of water) after each wash work well for reducing mineral build-up, particularly of limescale.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My standard list of things to eliminate in order looks like this:
    1) Generic product buildup. Clarify with sulfates and/or baking soda.
    2) Dryness. Try a deep moisture treatment like SMT or the caramel treatment. This also helps protein buildup if you repeat it a few times. (ETA: it's worth checking your products for protein and switching to protein-free stuff at least part of the time if you suspect protein might be the trouble.)
    3) Protein deficit. Protein treat it, then moisturize again.
    4) Mineral buildup. Chelating shampoo time.
    5) Irreparable damage. Cut it off... You need not cut all of it if the idea is upsetting; even a small trim can make hair feel a lot more manageable.
    Last edited by Anje; September 14th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    20/24.5/31
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I found that this happened to me when I was using SLS free shampoo. I guess not all sulfate free shampoos are equal (I never found one that worked for me) and that (for me anyway) they do not remove product build-up effectively. I agree with all of Anje's suggestions and also found that when I bought a shower filter, my hair felt alot softer. If you live in a hard water area I would consider this.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My hair usually needs to be clarified when that happens. I follow that with a deep treatment (for both protein and moisture). That usually does the trick, although sometimes I have to repeat the sequence.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I agree sounds like build up needs clarifying then protein and moisture treatment.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    Chin/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I'd like to add the possibility of protein build-up. If your hair has low porosity, your conditioner contains protein and you use a sulfate free shampoo, the protein may build-up on your hair and make it typically crunchy, tangly and unmanageble. The way to deal with it is to clarify and replace your products with protein-free ones.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Another vote for removing possible build-up ie clarifying. Maybe you need to do it more than once, especially if it's been a long time since you last clarified.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    My standard list of things to eliminate in order looks like this:
    1) Generic product buildup. Clarify with sulfates and/or baking soda.
    2) Dryness. Try a deep moisture treatment like SMT or the caramel treatment. This also helps protein buildup if you repeat it a few times. (ETA: it's worth checking your products for protein and switching to protein-free stuff at least part of the time if you suspect protein might be the trouble.)
    3) Protein deficit. Protein treat it, then moisturize again.
    4) Mineral buildup. Chelating shampoo time.
    5) Irreparable damage. Cut it off... You need not cut all of it if the idea is upsetting; even a small trim can make hair feel a lot more manageable.
    Wow, thanks for that! I live in a hard water are and didnt know I had to chelate.

I have seen a shampoo that says it removes calcium build up. Although it doesnt mention limescale/impurities or environment. Will it get rid of the limescale as well, but it says calcium? :S

What do I need to do to the hair after chelating? I have heard some peopl talk about acidic rinses/vinegar?

Thanks!

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by glitterbug View Post
    Wow, thanks for that! I live in a hard water are and didnt know I had to chelate.

I have seen a shampoo that says it removes calcium build up. Although it doesnt mention limescale/impurities or environment. Will it get rid of the limescale as well, but it says calcium? :S

What do I need to do to the hair after chelating? I have heard some peopl talk about acidic rinses/vinegar?

Thanks!
    Limescale is calcium carbonate (mostly), so a shampoo that advertises that it removed calcium build-up should tackle limescale. As for the other impurities/salts, it probably will do those too but you're best just trying it.

After chelation you can do a moisturising treatment (particularly if the chelation was somewhat harsh). Acidic rinses will help to reduce the rate of limescale build-up, as limescale dissolves in acid. Personally, I'm not convinced that you can do a post-wash acid rinse that will prevent limescale build-up without being so strong that it is harmful to the hair and scalp. However, at the normal concentration (i.e. about 1 teaspoon vinegar per medium/large glass of water) it will slow the build-up so you have to chelate less often.

As for what acid to use. Lots of people use apple cider vinegar (ACV) but this can redden/darken blonde hair. White wine vinegar or just plain white vinegar will work just as well and won't stain. Some people use lemon juice but that can have a bleaching effect.