Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone really hate their layers?

Length
    26.5/30.5/32
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Does anyone really hate their layers?

So about a year ago I was very silly...I had lots (too many) layers cut into my baby-fine hair. Basically I was about to begin my first trainee teacher placement and really wanted a hairstyle that I could just wake up and go with... I had started to grow out my full-fringe by this point and so my shortest layer was cut in above my chin to blend in with this growth. I wasn't particularly pleased with the result: My hair felt a lot shorter and thinner! and being a 2a hair type the short bits curled and the long bits were stick straight due to the weight - Disaster. Anyways, I'm still growing this hairstyle out and despite my hair being mid-back length.. It looks a lot shorter because of the fiddly short layers. Does anyone else here really hate their layers? & How close are you to growing them out? Did it take a long time? I feel like it's taking forever.
    Last edited by goldenlady; September 13th, 2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    BSL - MBL - WL - HL

Length
    SL/APL/WL

Default Re: Does anyone really hate their layers?

I think the question is does anyone really like their layers after the first few months? My layers range from chin to shoulder length and the rest is APL. They're annoying and I'm waiting until I'm at my goal (hip) to cut my longer hairs to wherever the shortest layer is.

Length
    SL/APL/WL

And they actually seemed to grow faster than my regular hair because they're not rubbing against clothes or anything yet.

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

My hair is actually longer in front and shorter in the back. I really dislike that now. I can't put them up properly.

ChL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HBL-TBL ........

"When it rains, everything grows..."

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I actually rather liked my layers, but realised over time that my hair was becoming thin/scraggly looking at the ends. I had been having new layers cut in every time I went to the hairdressers (every 8 weeks), so it just gradually thinned out my ends.

Last November I asked for a blunt cut to thicken my ends up and I love it . My hair looks a lot thicker now.

I do still have some longer layers which I am growing out and a few shorter, face framing ones at the front left over from my sweepy fringe.

I think they do make my hair appear shorter then it actually is. When I have a half up, my hair looks a lot longer. I will be glad when they have all grown out.

Even when my hair was at it's longest (quite a few years ago now), I had some shorter bits at the front from when I decided to have a fringe cut and then started growing it out again. They never caught up with the rest of my hair because my hair was so long at the time I had the fringe cut in. They were alright when they were at a face framing length and then as they got longer, they were the constant bane of my life.

I suspect I will feel the same about the ones I have now when they get to that length lol .

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Yes, I really hate my layers. About two months ago I decided that I was going to cut all of my damaged hair off. So I went from a little longer than APL to above my shoulders. I also had to get layers to make sure I got all of the damage out. (I had gotten 2 perms the year before, a relaxer to take the perm out, and heat damage from flat ironing everyday) My shortest layer is right at chin length right now, and they absolutely drive me crazy lol.
    SL | CBL | APL | BSL
    goal: waist length

Length
    26.5/30.5/32
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Hahaa I'm glad I'm not alone in this.. I rant to my friends but they think I'm weird to complain when I 'have long hair'...
    BSL - MBL - WL - HL

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I hope you get some support. Me? I love layers, they help with the wave pattern (it waves more). Just a few weeks ago, I had layers cut into my hair using one of the "compact cut" methods from the book, "Haircutting for dummies". It's the method where you put all your hair into a ponytail on the top of your forehead and snip a bit off. My shortest layers are APL, my length is waist. Love it. I have F hair too, and just a little more thickness than you.

I'd just leave the layers alone, and see what it does when it grows some more.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Sometimes I don't mind them, and sometimes I want to chop everything blunt...but that would make it barely shoulder length and I can't bring myself to do it! (Plus I'd probably end up talking myself back into getting more layers b/c a blunt cut at that length makes my hair really triangle-y and poufy since it's not long enough to weigh down anything). So I'm slowly growing them out.

I actually really like them when my hair is curly--it lays really nicely. But when I try to do updos or braids and run out of hair (or it gets too thin to work with long before the ends) I get really frustrated. I also find my hair looks thinner at the ends than I'd like since I've had layers cut in for years.

Length
    MB/WL/WL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I love layers when they are first cut but over time they don't look great. I also have i or ii hair and so they make the bottom of my braid look really pitiful. I won't wear a braid out and about because of the taper. Layers are also like highlights...the first time looks great but the more you have it done the more drastic the change is over time.

I'm growing my layers out a bit but I might do something like lapushka did when I hit waist. I'm hoping some gentle layers will bring out my wave.