Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why use a wide-tooth comb?

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Question Why use a wide-tooth comb?

I can't figure out why everyone says to use a wide-tooth comb, specifically?

I could see preferring wide-tooth to fine-tooth if you like the way it promotes defined "clumps" of hair for curly or wavy hair. However, I can't think of a reason why it make any difference as far as damage goes.

Also, just to make sure I am not confusing the term, is a "wide-tooth" comb a comb where the actual teeth are wide, or the teeth are spaced widely apart? Or both?
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Why use a wide-tooth comb?

It's a comb where the space between the teeth is wider, but also many times the tines are wider too. In fact now that I think I have rarely seen a widetooth comb with thin tines!

It's generally thought to be more gentle to the hair, causing less friction yet detangling effectively. The longer the hair, the more it has gone through since emerging from the scalp, and being very gentle with it will help it to stay healthy.

Some people actually see a big difference when changing their regular comb to wide toothed one. It also important to have a smooth comb without rough spots and seams.

I personally often use finetooth comb, it helps my hair to be smoother when dry. It has no seams and just glides through my hair at least at this (short) length.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

A lot of people in here also prefer a wooden wide tooth comb versus a plastic comb. Wooden combs is thought to distribute oils in your head better than plastic, while plastic causes static.

Type
    2b/M/iii

The wide spaces between the tines of wide tooth combs permits greater ease in combing and with less possibility of snagging your hair (presuming that you have detangled first).

Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    The wide spaces between the tines of wide tooth combs permits greater ease in combing and with less possibility of snagging your hair (presuming that you have detangled first).
    Wouldn't the snags be caused by tangles, so you want to catch them with the comb(gently, of course) so that you could detangle them?

Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    It's a comb where the space between the teeth is wider, but also many times the tines are wider too. In fact now that I think I have rarely seen a widetooth comb with thin tines!

It's generally thought to be more gentle to the hair, causing less friction yet detangling effectively. The longer the hair, the more it has gone through since emerging from the scalp, and being very gentle with it will help it to stay healthy.

Some people actually see a big difference when changing their regular comb to wide toothed one. It also important to have a smooth comb without rough spots and seams.

I personally often use finetooth comb, it helps my hair to be smoother when dry. It has no seams and just glides through my hair at least at this (short) length.
    I suppose I understand the friction aspect, but it doesn't seem like it would make that much difference in the scheme of things. I can run my fine-tooth comb through my hair once and know it's tangle-free. While, if it was a wide tooth comb, I imagine it would take a few passes with the comb.

Thanks for the answer on defining a wide-tooth comb. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
    Last edited by XcaliburGirl; February 27th, 2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by XcaliburGirl View Post
    I suppose I understand the friction aspect, but it doesn't seem like it would make that much difference in the scheme of things. I can run my fine-tooth comb through my hair once and know it's tangle-free. While, if it was a wide tooth comb, I imagine it would take a few passes with the comb.

Thanks for the answer on defining a wide-tooth comb. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
    I think it's cause you're currently chin length, that you don't really see the use; when my hair was that short, a fine tooth comb slid through my hair. Now my hair's between BSL & WL and the fine tooth comb (for detangling purposes at least) hurts like hell and I guess it causes you to really pull at the hair and at the tangles. A wide tooth comb detangles far more easily and without snagging the hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

A wide toothed comb refers specifically to the spacing of the teeth down the length of the comb. The teeth themselves are somewhat spaced wide apart, as compared to more average comb. I myself must use an extra wide, wide-toothed comb. This is because even a wide-toothed comb will not detangle my hair. It won't get through my hair.

We use combs instead of brushes as there is far less pulling on the hair, and thus, far less hair lost to the detangling process.

Apparently you have curly hair, whereas I have stick straight hair. One technique or product does not work for everyone because everyone's hair is NOT the same.

It actually took me practice to learn how to use a comb. And until I discovered the problem with regular spaced wide tooth combs and was introduced to the extra wide, wide toothed comb, I simply could not comb my hair to detangle it.

I also presume you might have to work with your hair while it's wet. Using a brush on wet hair tends to lead to far more hair loss than a comb. You can condition with a wide-toothed comb. Coat the hair in conditioner and then dip and re-dip the comb in conditioner and comb through the hair while it's wet, with the help of the downpour of shower water, and detangle the hair in this way. In the end, of course, rinse out the conditioner. Thoroughly.

Curly hair requires somewhat different care techniques than stick straight hair like mine.

Here's is a photo of the type of comb I use, for consideration for you, if you're interested.

Scroll way down on this page, and the first comb (white or rather Ivory) is a picture of the comb I use.

http://madoralonghairheaven.com/madoraprod1.html

Madora Detangler Comb
    (Ivory) IV-#116

One can order these combs online. There are 3 known George Michael Salons active in the US, and one in the UK. Beverly Hills, California; Columbus, Ohio; Manhattan, New York

Do you know how to properly detangle? From the bottom upward, NOT top down.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Type
    2b/M/iii

Wouldn't the snags be caused by tangles, so you want to catch them with the comb(gently, of course) so that you could detangle them?
    Yes, snags/snarls/mats/tangles are taken away by gentle detangling. However, the comb you use when detangling makes all the difference! A narrow tooth comb is a disaster waiting to happen (unless you have very thin hair).

The wide tooth comb lets you detangle more gently..assuming, of course, that you work from the ends up, in small sections, rather than trying to detangle a large portion all at once. Working in small sections gives you much more control over what you're doing.

Also, how slowly you work with the comb has a great bearing on successful detangling. The pressure you exert with the comb can be very important too.

I've done this in the past. I've used a wide-tooth comb to detangle, and finish detangling with a more regular width comb (as it concerns teeth) to be SURE all the tangles are absolutely out.

Do you know how to take a knot or tangle out of the hair? Do not keep downstroking as this merely tightens the knot.

It appears you have around chin-length hair, so your hair care concerns at this stage of growth are different from much longer lengths. It changes as you become longer, as do updos change and sleeping concerns change, and so on. One adjusts as they gain length.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC