Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old member has returned. What are people using these days for hair loss?

Default Old member has returned. What are people using these days for hair loss?

I joined this group about 13 years ago and at the time I believe the big hair loss remedy was Monisat. Are people still using that? I am having a hard time searching posts but I did see one from 2017 that said, 'STOP USING MONISTAT IN YOUR HAIR!" No reason was given and I'm wondering if it has fallen out of favor.

Anyway, I am fretting horribly due to massive thinning of my hair that seems to have taken place over the past few months. I've had this on and off over the years but it has reached a critical mass. These are the things I have checked and verified and have tried:

Diet
    Thyroid levels
    Iron
    Biotin, zinc
    Essential oils (Chrome Dome) in Jojoba oil
    Monistat
    Castor oil
    Fluocinonide
    Nizoral
    Shampoo once or twice a week, otherwise CO with VO5 every other day.
    No heat products, no blow dry
    Only natural henna to color

None of these have made any difference and it's getting where if I look at the back of my head in the mirror I can see my scalp through my dark hair. It's really disturbing. I went to a dermatologist and he said I don't have a scalp condition but prescribed the Fluocinonide to try which didn't work.

I am considering PRP injections and Rogaine.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?
    Last edited by marla; December 12th, 2020 at 08:04 AM.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Old member has returned. What are people using these days for hair loss?

Difficult to say what could help if we still don't know what is causing the shedding...
    Are you stressed? Could be the cause too.
    You could try supplement with B witamins. Nettle and horsetail tea promote growth and strengthen hair.
    As far as shampoo against hair loss go I would check those with coffein and biotin.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Old member has returned. What are people using these days for hair loss?

Welcome back.

You know what? I would go back to the dermatologist, in your current condition (with the back of your head being see-through) and then see what they say now. Maybe back then it wasn't as visible as it is now and only you noticed something was up.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i

I've tried a lot of things and still use essential oils and nizoral but I don't know how much they help. For me, the biggest thing that helped was having my hormones checked and regulated.
    October 2019 - 17"
    March 2022 - 30" Waist

Quote Originally Posted by wishy View Post
    I've tried a lot of things and still use essential oils and nizoral but I don't know how much they help. For me, the biggest thing that helped was having my hormones checked and regulated.
    What hormones? I can't supplement with estrogen as I've had breast cancer.

Length
    SL/WL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i

My androgen levels were high as a symptom of PCOS. I suspect this is why my hair shedding was getting worse over the years. I'm on an estrogen birth control now.
    October 2019 - 17"
    March 2022 - 30" Waist

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wishy View Post
    My androgen levels were high as a symptom of PCOS. I suspect this is why my hair shedding was getting worse over the years. I'm on an estrogen birth control now.
    Had the same thing but was unable use oestrogen, ended up on spironolactone which is a potassium sparing diuretic that happens to be anti-androgenic- so that's always an option marla! (assuming hormones are actually the issue)
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    Ear L/35in/Class
    Type
    1c/M/C/i/ii

Following because i started loosing hair post partum and it's never picked back up

SL APL BSL MBL WL HL BCL TBL Classic(Goal)
    Trim April 2017/Nov 2020. 1b/1c/M/C/i/ii. No heat.
    Braid or bun everyday. 35 inches exactly from hairline to ends May 2021!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I had alot of success with nutrafol and nizoral shampoo. I kinda fell off the wagon with my hair but started taking nutrafol again as im noticing a bit of thinning again. But mostly it has been balancing my hormones, but i still deal with androgens. Hope this helps.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Have you tried getting any tests done to see if you might have a vitamin deficiency?
    I suffer from extreme hair loss too but it has decreased dramatically after taking vitamin D3 and biotin for the last 3 months. I massage castor oil with olive oil any time my scalp feels irritated or itchy, as I notice that is when I shed the most. Usually I have to do this once every 2 weeks...