View Poll Results: Would you shave your head if someone you knew lost their hair?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 11.11%
  • No Way.

76 64.96%
  • Only if they asked me too..

15 12.82%
  • Only for my immeidiate family. (mom,dad,brother,sister,spouse,children)

13 11.11%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shave your head to support someone you love?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Chin/40.5/TERM
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Question Would you shave your head to support someone you love?

If someone you knew lost their hair whether due to chemo or just genetics, would you shave your head to show you support them?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Would you shave your head to support someone you love?

No, I would rather support them in other, practical ways.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

I wouldn't either. I think it's a grand gesture, which is not my style. I'm not even sure that many people would actually find it comforting. I think my outlook if I was in that position would be that it would be bad enough that I had to loose my hair.
    Last edited by Kake; December 21st, 2017 at 01:09 PM.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I would if it helped them. My best friend has cancer and lost her hair. I offered to shave, and she recoiled in horror. It would have made her feel worse. I wear my hair in a low, tight bun when I go with her to chemo. She enjoys my hair too.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think it's totally "superficial", IMMHO (don't kill me for saying that), to shave your head in support. It's like showing off to the world saying, *see* I support that person. There are plenty of other, quite unseen and much more effective ways to show what I call *true* support, and that is by being there for that person, showing you care by being close, helping each and every day, etc.

I have a disability. I have had people make a giant fuss about "helping" when other people saw, but as soon as their backs were turned, they just up and stopped caring. That's not how it goes. That's what I mean by being "superficial". Thought I needed to explain that bit!
    Last edited by lapushka; December 21st, 2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: explanation
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/BSL+/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I had to vote no. It's something I would have done in the past but now that I like my hair and use caring for it as a way to nurture myself, it would leave me too sad to chop it off. And I don't see how that would help anyone. If it was my mum and she really asked me to do it I would, but she wouldn't ask that.

I do have a lot of respect for people who do though, if it helps the person they're supporting.

Finally finished growing out natural colour!

Length
    15/31/44
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

I had to vote "no" as well. I've lost my dad to cancer and even though he is not a woman, I am very sure he would not have been happier if I would have shaved my hair off too. I've had shaved hair in some point in life and do not wish to go through that process again. I'd prefer to help with actions and make someone's life more light and bearable, instead of showing off that I 'support' someone by shaving off my hair. It would be just a symbol and is not truly helpful in my opinion.
    It might sound harsh, but I think something as symbolic as shaving off hair, is so superficial when a loved one is facing a life threatening disease. I can't think of another situation in which it would be able to show such support.
    Thinking of it, if it was my (future) child, I guess it would depend of the situation, but I'd rather think of other solutions to cheer someone up or support them
    16.APL.BSL.WL.Hip.33.34.35.36.37.
    BCL.39.TB.41.42.43.CL.45.46....55.Knee

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I have helped and will continue to help chemo friends in actual, useful ways. Melodramatic posturing just isn't my style.

Length
    17.5/22.5/27.5
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

No, because it's something I have done for myself for fun. It's not something I would consider supportive.
    Lady Morgan Lynn of the Winding Forest Paths in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My grandma (dad's mom) came down with cancer in her 60s, 70s, breast cancer. It later turned an inoperable brain tumor (but they tried anyway), which turned her into a zombie (she wasn't herself anymore).

Then 2 of my aunts (by marriage) had breast and pancreatic cancer. Tough cases. One aunt also turned brain tumor (breast cancer). And the other aunt went pretty quickly I'm sad to say...

Then a friend of my youngest aunt (mom's sister) got breast cancer - also turned brain tumor after she had stopped her 10 year meds to keep the cancer away (the doctors didn't deem it necessary anymore, yeah, that happened).

What is it with breast cancer turning brain tumor?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)