Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macadamia Oil Vs Coconut Oil

Default Macadamia Oil Vs Coconut Oil

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what the difference is between coconut oil and macadamia oil and what the benefits are for your hair?

I have tried using coconut oil as an overnight treatment for my hair (saturate my hair, braid it and go to sleep) but find I can never wash it completely out even when I shampoo two or 3 times and it leaves my hair feeling kind of brittle.. which is a shame because so many people rave about the benefits of coconut oil for their hair, am I doing something wrong?
    Just out of curiosity last night I tried cold pressed macadamia oil instead and it washed out this morning with 1 shampoo and my hair feels incredible and is so shiny!

Would the macadamia oil be penetrating my hair and doing it some good or is it just coating my hair and leaving a residue behind even though it doesn't feel like it is?

Thanks

Length
    Chin/BCL/Class
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Macadamia Oil Vs Coconut Oil

There hasn't been that much research on macadamia oil, so hard to tell!
    Theoretically it should coat mostly, since it's pretty heavy. However, I use it too and my hair seems to soak it up.
    In fact, I use it instead of coconut oil when I want a lighter touch, since it seems to absorb more.
    Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour... Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    On my way to classic! **Proud Member of The Creepy Creepers Cult**

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd say the macadamia agrees with your hair better, so keep using that. Coconut oil gives a lot of people less than stellar results as it can leave the hair crunchy and dry/brittle.

If it's hard to wash out, then I'd not put it on the scalp. There are people who can't tolerate oils on the scalp (more shedding than normal). So, pay attention to that as well.

Different oils work differently on different people, there's no telling what the reason is. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about oils will come along.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Different oils work differently on different people, there's no telling what the reason is. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about oils will come along.
    This is so true and often seems to defy logic.
    Coconut oil is the one most researched which might explain why it's so highly regarded but I do think it's worth trying lots of different oils to see if others work better. At the end of the day it's all about results, if coconut oil doesn't make your hair feel good but another oil does then just go with what works. I love macadamia nut oil but mostly use it on my skin rather than my hair. I do however add macadamia to some DT's, I find it quite similar to avocado oil in it's effect which is also lovely.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    Waist/BSL/TBD
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Coconut oil tends to be harder for me to wash out. But olive oil will wash out easy (go figure). I've just started with some Jojoba oil, I am curious to see how it will wash out, so far my hair seems to like it. I've been applying a few drops every day for 4 days and it still doesn't feel bad, it is just starting to maybe feel a little oily but that may be my imagination ( and 4th day hair ).

I use extra virgin olive oil. Or EVOO for short.
    Last edited by RebekahE; September 12th, 2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Cut 12 inches back to BSL and donated it. Now just doing whatever I feel like. Won't be going any shorter than BSL.

Quote Originally Posted by RebekahE View Post
    Coconut oil tends to be harder for me to wash out. But olive oil will wash out easy (go figure). I've just started with some Jojoba oil, I am curious to see how it will wash out, so far my hair seems to like it. I've been applying a few drops every day for 4 days and it still doesn't feel bad, it is just starting to maybe feel a little oily but that may be my imagination ( and 4th day hair ).
    Thanks is there a certain type of olive oil that is best to be used for hair? I guess virgin olive oil would be the best?

Thanks for your help everyone! I think I'll stick with using macadamia oil as its what gives me the best results

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I agree with sticking with what works, but I do have this one thought to share.

What I notice about coconut oil for me personally is that my hair will often feel like the oil hasn't washed out while it's still wet, but by the time it dries, it does not look or feel like there is oil on it other than the fact that it's very glossy. Could you perhaps be thinking the feel of your wet hair means the coconut oil hasn't washed out? If so, reevaluate after it dries instead of doing 2 or 3 washes.

I

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I agree with sticking with what works, but I do have this one thought to share.

What I notice about coconut oil for me personally is that my hair will often feel like the oil hasn't washed out while it's still wet, but by the time it dries, it does not look or feel like there is oil on it other than the fact that it's very glossy. Could you perhaps be thinking the feel of your wet hair means the coconut oil hasn't washed out? If so, reevaluate after it dries instead of doing 2 or 3 washes.

I
    Thanks unfortunately it really is just difficult to wash out of my hair. I oil pretty heavily and I've tried washing it out a few different ways - multiple shampoos, CO washing, bicarb soda and always wait a good few hours until my hair is dry to see whether or not it has all washed out. I just feel like all that washing is doing my hair more harm than good so the coconut oil is kind of pointless?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I agree with you. I wouldn't use if it became hard to wash out of my hair. What I usually do is wait until my scalp becomes oily, then I apply coconut oil to my length, braid for overnight, then wash in the morning. I massage conditioner over my coconut oil and let it marinate while I scrub down in the shower. Then I rinse out the conditioner, wash my scalp with diluted shampoo, rinse out, condition again, rinse out. Many of us have found that conditioner is more useful for removing oil than shampoo.

Macadamia oil sounds lovely. I've never even seen it for sale much less tried it.