Thread: Salon coloring -- can I really be sure the indigo is gone?

Length
    12/12/18
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Salon coloring -- can I really be sure the indigo is gone?

I went today to consult with a hairdresser about making my hair a bit darker and browner. She was cool with the fact that I used henna, but she quizzed me extensively asking if I was *CERTAIN* that there was no black henna in the mix. I said that I had and she was very skeptical and said she could try, but she had no guarantee that even a gentle demi-color wouldn't turn it green!

Does indigo ever fully wash out from the hair? I could swear it has, as I oiled my hair from a dark medium brunette to a light reddish gold. It spooked me a bit and I'm wondering if anyone has ever been bitten in the bum thinking that the indigo washed out, only to get green when trying to go back to chemical colors?

I'm honestly considering just cancelling my appointment because I'm not sure if the money is worth it if all she dares to do is a semi, which I can do at home..

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Default Re: Salon coloring -- can I really be sure the indigo is gone?

I totally read the thread title "Salmon coloring -- can I really be sure the indigo is gone?"

Anywhoo

I did indigo over henna, and then deposit only red over that and then when that washed out, some more henna and indigo... My base is dark brown, and I have never had issues with green. Perhaps with lighter hair it could be a problem, but as I understand it, green happens with bleach or peroxide.

If you want to go darker, I do not understand why you wouldn't use a deposit only dye, and this has no reason to turn green.

In any case STRAND TEST and you will know
    Shoulder length or less, maintaining and enjoying curls and my flat iron
    Waiting to see how the gray will develop.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I don't use indigo but from what I understand, even if it looks faded there is probably enough left hanging around to produce green if bleached. Shouldn't be a issue since you are going darker but if you have ever used indigo, a strand test is important just to be safe.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Strand test it. It's really not worth taking a gamble.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Strand test it. It's really not worth taking a gamble.
    Fully agree with this!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    12/12/18
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks for the replies, everybody! I've decided to cancel the appointment. I don't want it potentially turning green and having a freaked out hairdresser :P Besides, I'm pretty sure semi's are safe (strand testing of couse) and it's probably not worth paying a salon to do that!

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by linuxgirl View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everybody! I've decided to cancel the appointment. I don't want it potentially turning green and having a freaked out hairdresser :P Besides, I'm pretty sure semi's are safe (strand testing of couse) and it's probably not worth paying a salon to do that!
    This has happened to me at a salon, even when I was convinced all the indigo was gone - hair was such a light golden brown, having been a dark brown. Highlights still went green! Honestly, you wouldn't have thought the hair was dark enough to even go that shade of khaki. The colourist managed to more or less tone it out with a gold toner but some bits were a little greenish still. Eventually, as is the case with very porous bleach-damaged hair, the greenish hue faded to more like an ash blonde. This took a few weeks. OK in the end if you can bear being a bit khaki for a while in places.

The poor colourist's face was a picture, though. Even though it was my hair going green, I felt even worse at the shock it gave her.

Yep, strand test for sure!

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Always strand test. Indigo is permanent.

It's almost all gone, but if you take a look at some of my hair pictures, you'll see I have very dark ends. That is the result of indigo from 4 years ago.