View Poll Results: Would you shave your head if someone you knew lost their hair?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 11.11%
  • No Way.

76 64.96%
  • Only if they asked me too..

15 12.82%
  • Only for my immeidiate family. (mom,dad,brother,sister,spouse,children)

13 11.11%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you shave your head to support someone you love?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Would you shave your head to support someone you love?

Quote Originally Posted by MlleMC View Post
    There is one exception however. I think I would do it for a daughter if she was depressed about losing her hair and it helped her feel better about herself.
    I lost a cr*p ton of hair at age 13/14 and even had balding going on (hormonal changes the doctor said). My mom... Gosh, it would not even have occurred to me (and it didn't) for my mom to shave her head or cut her hair for me. No, she bought me a special lotion and some hair vitamins to help out, and that was actually more useful than anything because it gave me peace of mind and helped mentally, hugely, more than anything. I thankfully regained my thickness and hair a few years later when my hormones balanced out. So when it really mattered at age 15/16, I was OK again.

I'm holding my breath for menopause though, cause at 45 when my mom went into MP at age 42, is... just around the corner.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think it's totally "superficial", IMMHO (don't kill me for saying that), to shave your head in support. It's like showing off to the world saying, *see* I support that person.
    This! It would also be super weird if a person would ask you to shave your own hair. So, no. I don't support the idea of support-shaving. It's kind of nice when you hear stories about it, but to be honest ... the motives behind it don't sound healthy (from both sides ...)

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

My mom-in-law lost her hair when she went through chemo and when I floated the idea of shaving mine in support if I recall correctly I believe her response was 'are you nuts?!' She then went into a tirade about how useless an act of support it was when people do it. She's normally a very even-tempered person but she really went off on that subject, hahaha!!

She wasn't aiming any of it at me personally, just the concept. I had never thought about it before so hadn't considered that it might be considered a waste of a gesture rather than a show of support.

She did say that she felt differently in the case of a child going through an illness that caused hair loss - that was the exception for her and I'd agree with that one. In fact ever since that speech I've been in agreement with her on the subject. It was eye-opening
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

I'd do it in a heartbeat for a daughter, or wife. For anyone else, it depends on how close they and I were.

Length
    21/HL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I wouldn't. I don't necessarily think it is superficial support though. Because I care so much about my hair and how I look, I would be quite unhappy with having a bald head. Of course, what is a bald head when you have life-threatening cancer?
    Anyway, it might, in some cases be somewhat supportive.... Like if your child lost their hair...

* SL * APL * BSL * * WL * HL * BCL* TBL * Classic ?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by humble_knight View Post
    I'd do it in a heartbeat for a daughter, or wife. For anyone else, it depends on how close they and I were.
    Yes I agree; for a child that would be a nice gesture, as they understand the world differently. Depends how old that child is too. For a little one up to the age of 5/6 I think yes, but older? I'm not sure.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Chin/40.5/TERM
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    My grandma (dad's mom) came down with cancer in her 60s, 70s, breast cancer. It later turned an inoperable brain tumor (but they tried anyway), which turned her into a zombie (she wasn't herself anymore).

Then 2 of my aunts (by marriage) had breast and pancreatic cancer. Tough cases. One aunt also turned brain tumor (breast cancer). And the other aunt went pretty quickly I'm sad to say...

Then a friend of my youngest aunt (mom's sister) got breast cancer - also turned brain tumor after she had stopped her 10 year meds to keep the cancer away (the doctors didn't deem it necessary anymore, yeah, that happened).

What is it with breast cancer turning brain tumor?
    That is so so sad. I am sorry to hear about that.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin3826 View Post
    That is so so sad. I am sorry to hear about that.
    Yeah, all of that; it wasn't easy to get through. I do understand why people want to show their support in whatever way possible, that I do get.

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

If it had been possible to select multiple responses, I'd have said "only for my immediate family" and "only if they asked me to," because I can't really think of anyone who isn't close family for whom it would be anything other than a grand but ultimately (mostly) pointless gesture. As others have said, the more meaningful support for someone who has lost their hair to cancer treatment or other medical issues is to drive them to doctor's appointments, help with food and household tasks, keep them company, do fun things together, etc.

My youngest brother already shaves his head, but that's because his hairline has receded quite severely (he's only 53) and he prefers to be bald than to have a horseshoe-shaped hairline. I doubt he'd ask anyone to shave their head just because he shaves his.

If my mom or my daughter lost their hair for some medical reason, I'd shave mine for either of them if they asked. I doubt my oldest brother or my stepdad (who has more hair in his beard than on his head these days anyway! ) would ask, and my middle brother isn't in contact with the rest of us siblings.
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I wouldn't be close enough to someone with such a desperate need for attention that I'd do it.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆