Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Evil Ball-tipped Brush?

Length
    BSL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default The Evil Ball-tipped Brush?

Ever since I signed up on LHC (3 yrs ago) I have been told that ball-tipped brushes are evil. I believed that and replaced mine with a wide toothed comb.

But now that my comb is missing, I have had to resort to using the old ball-tipped brush I had laying around. And I have to admit, I'm really loving using the brush again

I have to ask, what exactly is so evil about the ball-tipped brush? I feel like I never got a good explanation of what it is doing to my hair. I don't want to damage my hair, but I used one on my waist length hair in highschool and never had a problem, so it's hard for me to hate it.

Please talk me away from it!
    Lady Lostariel Of the Flowers, In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    None/Shldr/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: The Evil Ball-tipped Brush?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFlor View Post
    I have to ask, what exactly is so evil about the ball-tipped brush? I feel like I never got a good explanation of what it is doing to my hair.

I want to know too!! This is brand new news to me

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Ball-tipped brushes can rip hair out, but if you don't feel like it's ripping your hair out, it probably isn't. There are longhairs who do use a ball-tipped brush, or other brushes for that matter. If you're not comfortable with it, you might want to substitute your brush for a Tangle Teezer or a BBB.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/M/iii

Those nubs at the end will rip out your hair. Not worth the damage if you want healthy, long hair.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I don't know the official reason but, for my hair, if there are any snarls he ball tips snag on to them. A straight pin brush or a comb, you can just pull them out and away. You can then work on the tangle from below. With a ball end, you're forced to either rip through the tangle or rip the brush away.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Type
    3b/M/iii

Ha, I love them too. Or at least I did when I wore my hair straight. My hair is really thick so a natural bristle brush just skates off the surface whereas a ball-tip brush really gets in all the way to the scalp. I have a wooden one that feels dreamy

Like most things, I figure it's about what works for your hair and how careful you are with your brush.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

The balls encourage hair to wrap around them and rip the hair, also the balls come off and that leave "naked" bristles which scratch and damage the scalp, also plastic generates heat which causes damage to hair. A BBB or wooden comb is much more kinder to hair. I know I used one way before finding this site and my hair would snap when I brushed, ive not used one in over 6 years, i occasionally use heat but my hair has never been in better condition, apart from other changes I really do think this brush was doing me no favours!
    Hope that helps!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Chin/BCL/Class
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

When I first read this, I was skeptical too. Why would the most common brush be so common, if it was bad for you?

But I found a pretty wooden comb and decided to try for myself. And I do notice a difference. I never brush anymore because I hate the sound it makes. You should listen to the difference between someone brushing their hair, or someone combing it. Being gentle is the key, I suppose. But imho combing is usually the better choice.

Also, with combing I only lose naturally shed hair: about two to five strands per combing session. With a brush, you pull out hairs, or stretch them so they snap. The results? Little balls of fur that you have to peel out every week. Big difference!

I've also noticed I have more volume, and my hair seems thicker and shinier too. I'm a convert
    Last edited by Shiranshoku; June 25th, 2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour... Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    On my way to classic! **Proud Member of The Creepy Creepers Cult**

Type
    2a/F/ii

I've never had a problem with ball-tipped brushes. I heart mine a lot. I actually feel like a wide-tooth comb rips my hair waaayyyyy more than my brush ever did. I have been using my TT lately though.

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/M/iii

I always see it like this.
    The ball tiped brushes have many places for individual hairs to get stuck and thus they might get ripped out of your head. If the tips are a bit loose hairs can get stuck. The pin in the... 'cushion' thingy have space around them where hair can get stuck. Sometimes the pins are not well made where hair can get stuck too. The pins are very stiff so you can rip through hairs easier thus likely to do damage.
    That is one of the reasons I use a tangle teezer. Because it's all one thing. No nooks n crannies for hair to get stuck in. The pins of the tangle teezer are also very flexibel so they won't rip through your hairs/knots = less damage. I love the tangle teezer!

Of course, one might say it's a bit obsessive and ball tipped brushes can work great for people. But one could call 'us' a bit obsessive about hair here at the LCH

Jan 22 2014. Can't wait till waist curly!