Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mineral Oil/Baby Oil? Help?

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Question Mineral Oil/Baby Oil? Help?

For those who use mineral oil/baby oil, please help a gal and answer my questions...

I was under the assumption (mistakenly?) that mineral oil was baaaaaaad for your hair but have recently seen a number of posts where people are using it with great success. For those who use it, can you clarify my misunderstanding and educate me on its uses? Thanks!

1. Are mineral oil and baby oil the same thing? As near as I can tell, the only difference is the baby-powdery smell...

2. Do you use plain-old mineral oil? Or do you use baby oil? I like the smell of baby oil and would use it if it was okay...

3. How do you apply it?

4. What does it do, how is it better than other oils (Argan, Coconut, Sweet Almond, etc...)?

5. Would it work with my hair type? Would my hair be less tangle-prone?

Anything else I should know?

Baby oil is SO much cheaper than any other oil...if it works that would be great!
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Mineral Oil/Baby Oil? Help?

Good questions. Would like to know this as well!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Hi, I have been using it with amazing results. I cant quote the science bit - chat to Ktani she had been a wealth of knowledge on this subject and can help.

I use it after shampoo and conditioner on damp hair, 2 drops that's all and air dry. Result for me is soft shiny hair that isn't weighed down. I personally could be happier using mineral oil (I use Johnsons baby oil), its cheap, no other leave ins needed and gives me the best result of anything I have tried! Hope it works for you too!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by patienceneeded View Post
    For those who use mineral oil/baby oil, please help a gal and answer my questions...

I was under the assumption (mistakenly?) that mineral oil was baaaaaaad for your hair but have recently seen a number of posts where people are using it with great success. For those who use it, can you clarify my misunderstanding and educate me on its uses? Thanks!

1. Are mineral oil and baby oil the same thing? As near as I can tell, the only difference is the baby-powdery smell... YES

2. Do you use plain-old mineral oil? Or do you use baby oil? I like the smell of baby oil and would use it if it was okay...

3. How do you apply it?

4. What does it do, how is it better than other oils (Argan, Coconut, Sweet Almond, etc...)?

5. Would it work with my hair type? Would my hair be less tangle-prone? It can work on any hair type.

Anything else I should know?

Baby oil is SO much cheaper than any other oil...if it works that would be great!
    This should answer most of your other questions re the oil, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225.

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Here is ktani's super helpful article about this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225

Mineral oil is the primary ingredient in most baby oil as far as I know (they add a nice fragrance). However, it's not particularly environmentally friendly, which is one reason why people don't like - it's a petroleum product, i.e. a product of non-renewable fossil fuels. That said, I've used it (accidentally) and liked it. Instead of penetrating your hair it coats it to keep the moisture in so it's best used when your hair is damp...but ktani has tons more info.

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

oh, double posted with ktani!

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Ya, ktani is the foremost authority on the use of baby oil in hair. I tried it per her suggestion, and it made my hair very soft!

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Does it basically simulate the effects of a silicone-based serum? Back when I used cones, one of my favorite things was my Aveda silicone serum...
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by patienceneeded View Post
    Does it basically simulate the effects of a silicone-based serum? Back when I used cones, one of my favorite things was my Aveda silicone serum...
    I dunno, but I use no cones whatsoever, and it works great for me.

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Thanks for the link Ktani!