Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fine hair, tangles. Would layers help? (old thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    SL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Fine hair, tangles. Would layers help? (old thread)

For those of you with fine hair do you find that your hair tangles more when your hair is all one length or when you have layers?
    I'm having bad tangle problems again and I find that the only solution is to cut my hair like I have in the past. However, I don't want short hair like I did back then. I was wondering if cutting in layers would help decrease my tangles or make it worse.
    I'm pretty sure that the cause of my tanglesis because my hair is so fine and the individual hairs wrap around each other more easily. It's not from damage of protein overload or anything.
    I'm just looking for a solution to this problem I guess, because I feel like I will damage my hair just trying to get huge tangles out constantly. I wear my hair up a lot because there are days where I can't get the tangles out without breaking the hairs so I just put it up and wait until the next wash so the conditioner can help detangle. Any suggestions or thoughts on the layers?
    Current length: MBL
    Goal: Waist (Summer 2014)

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Fine hair,tangles. Would layers help?

How often do you condition or otherwise moisturize?

Length
    BSL/waist/TBL?
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I'm not an expert, and I haven't had layers or anything in a long while. But my hair is pretty fine too and what keeps it from tangling the most are: adequate moisture and always putting it up when I go out in the weather or do anything active where my hair is moving around a lot. I don't think a different haircut would help too much but that's just my opinion, not something I've researched or anything.

For years I never put my hair up, never wanted to, didn't like the way it looked...but then I started to have to for work, and gradually I came around. And now I realize that if I braid my hair at the start of the day, when I get home in the evenings and take it down, it's just as tangle-free as it was when I first put it up.

I also find that my hair needs a lot of moisture (even though they say "fine hair needs more protein" I find that moisture helps more and my hair practically can't get enough of it!) Not to mention, you may be one of those who really needs cones to grow well and not get a lot of breakage.

Horrid lighting and resolution...but even still I can see 2" growth and lots more shine!

Length
    13"/32"/25"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

I had v long waist-length hair when I was a child, it tangled like crazy & was all one length. I keep my hair in layers now that I'm older and while it still tangles, the knots aren't as bad..they're much smaller. So yes, I do think layers help. I'd ask your stylist for advice, too before cutting. I find fine hair tangles in even the slightest breeze so keep an eye on yr weather & keep it up on windy days!
    Lady of the Sea

Length
    SL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I wash and condition about 2 times a week. I do use cone laden conditioners as I find my hair almost impossible to detangle without them. I'm sure to clarify when I need to tho. My hair loves moisture to Nytquill. I find that when I put condition on my hair before it's wet right before I wash and condition in the shower that it helps some as well.
    Current length: MBL
    Goal: Waist (Summer 2014)

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by longforhim View Post
    I wash and condition about 2 times a week. I do use cone laden conditioners as I find my hair almost impossible to detangle without them. I'm sure to clarify when I need to tho. My hair loves moisture to Nytquill. I find that when I put condition on my hair before it's wet right before I wash and condition in the shower that it helps some as well.
    Would you be against going CO every day or every other day at least? Conditioner is a life saver for tangles.

In my case, I don't think layers help. But YMMV cause I am a wavy and it seems the individual strands can tangle on themselves without my help.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by longforhim View Post
    For those of you with fine hair do you find that your hair tangles more when your hair is all one length or when you have layers?
    When it's all one length, blunt-cut. (Technically it's not all one length.)

When it's WL, for instance, and it has a blunt cut, the upper parts of the hair are the absolute longest and they are the most prone to tangles - just because they are longer than the rest. I'm talking about that part of the hair that you use to do a half-up with. If that's all layered, and usually that's where the most layering takes place, then you still have WL hair, but you have lots of areas where the hair is somewhat shorter. The upper part is shorter than the rest (not technically), and therefore: less tangles and easier to brush out. I've always found layers easier in that respect. I've always liked the kind of layering that really attempts to even out all the hair on your head so the hair is technically close to being one length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13"/32"/25"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

exactly and well-said. I have light FF layers but they're blended so I can still do braids, just mucho pinning involved...or else v messy. the back is an inverted horseshoe-shape
    Lady of the Sea

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

doesn't matter for me. I used to have a v cut in high school because I didn't want to cut it after a horrific attempt by my aunt, and I remember spending half an hour trying to work out individual snarls even then. I can brush my hair more often now, even if it's only really quick to make sure the ends aren't snarling up from rubbing on stuff or whatever, so I'm assuming that's helpful.

but, I can turn my head after brushing my hair out completely, and have it snarl as though I hadn't touched it in days. I'm assuming it's because my hair is wavy...