Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ExpectoPatronum's Anniversary Post (pics!)

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Cool ExpectoPatronum's Anniversary Post (pics!)

It's been 2 3 years since I did my last "big chop" and 9 years since I joined this forum. Goodness, has it really been that long? I've enjoyed getting to know you lovely people and I've made some truly wonderful friends here. There are few places on the internet with as many kind people as there are here.

I'm linking to pictures because they are large.

This is my starting point. I had my hair cut by a friend at an "Independence Day" BBQ. Not the best place to get your hair cut, but I think that friend did a great job considering I have curly hair and we were drinking at the time. Back shot. And my stretched length. Shrinkage was something I struggled against for over a year. I felt like I wasn't making much progress when I looked at my hair curly. It was disheartening, to say the least.

During this time I was trying all different kinds of routines. I favored a more "curly girl" approach to things, avoiding sulfates and silicones. My curls do look their best when I follow that kind of routine, but my priorities have since changed. I had a really nice curl pattern, until recently I also experimented with shampoo bars and find myself going back to them periodically.

Of course, this is LHC so I often wore my hair in protective styles. I'm a fan of braids.

It wasn't until the summer of 2021 where I finally felt like I was making progress with my hair. I was inching closer and closer to my first goal - waist! Which I hit not too long ago. And I am now around hip length. Here is my hair today - it was actually really difficult to get it all in a selfie! And even with trying, I don't think I got it all

My hair is just above hip length when stretched due to a recent trim, and I am inching towards my next goal - tailbone! My routine is full of sulfates and silicones, but that's just what is easiest and fastest. I used to care very much about how my curls looked. Now I just care that my ends don't feel like velcro and silicones are great for that. Funny how our priorities can change.

My advice is echoed a lot on this forum - don't cut your hair, and put it up and forget about it. That's the only way mine ever grew. Trimming frequently does have its benefits, but I personally never had my hair grow this long while trimming regularly. As with all things, YMMV
    Last edited by ExpectoPatronum; July 2nd, 2022 at 07:28 PM.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Student of long hair care squirrrel's Avatar
    Length
    24/45.7/?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: ExpectoPatronum's Anniversary Post (pics!)

Your hair is gorgeous, Ex-Pat, I do love the curl pattern you can get when you go full curly girl, but it’s still just as beautiful (and fabulously healthy) the way it is growing here. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your growth journey. Happy hairyversary!

Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Thank you squirrrel It's been so fun learning what works and what doesn't, if not a little frustrating at times

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Congratulations on your anniversary! It’s lovely to see your journey and my goodness, such lovely growth.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Happy anniversary! Those curls are beautiful!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Happy anniversary, ExpectoPatronum! The years certainly go by quickly.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Great advice, but I have to say, from the front, that BBQ cut was a-ma-zing! But now it looks so much nicer with all that length added. It's much cuter.

Anyway, congratulations on your goal length & a happy anniversary. May you reach your next milestone soonish. Should be quick with that put it up & forget about it routine. That's honestly what worked the best for me too, but you have to be kind of ready for it. Right?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by baanoo View Post
    Congratulations on your anniversary! It’s lovely to see your journey and my goodness, such lovely growth.
    Thank you baanoo!

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    Happy anniversary! Those curls are beautiful!
    Thank you lapis

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    Happy anniversary, ExpectoPatronum! The years certainly go by quickly.
    Ed
    Thanks Ed! That they do

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Great advice, but I have to say, from the front, that BBQ cut was a-ma-zing! But now it looks so much nicer with all that length added. It's much cuter.

Anyway, congratulations on your goal length & a happy anniversary. May you reach your next milestone soonish. Should be quick with that put it up & forget about it routine. That's honestly what worked the best for me too, but you have to be kind of ready for it. Right?
    Thanks lapushka. I actually feel like myself with longer hair. And hopefully the next goal is just around the corner
    Last edited by ExpectoPatronum; July 3rd, 2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fixing emoticon

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The more I put my hair up and forget about it, the longer it gets. As soon as I start examining my ends for signs of damage, I can pretty much say goodbye to at least 2 inches. It's always splitting; I'm better off not knowing.

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Awesome progress!! Congratulations