Results 1,061 to 1,067 of 1067

Thread: Thick haired folk, unite!

Length
    cbl/ftl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Thick haired folk, unite!

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I really appreciate it.

The disc bun is the only bun other than a cinnamon bun that I have been able to get to work... but I have to use a freaking pencil to wrap the loops around instead of fingers and then then stretching those out to cover the bun is friggin painful. Do you think I might be doing something wrong? I use a pencil because and other way all my leave the loops like two big spikes... which isn't attractive.
    Well I havent been able to do a disc bun for a long time. Now I have too much hair to wrap around the base and the loops are too tight But when I did it I would use fingers. I would watch torrin paige's video on it since she has thick hair too. Honestly I also couldnt do any buns except cinnamon bun and disc bun for a long time. You should be able to do other 2 strand buns too, like a vortex which is a cinnamon with 2 strands and a rose bun with 2 rope braids. I think somewhere between waist and hip is when LWB became comfortable and I didnt really try any others until around classic because I hurt my arm and just threw it up there lol. But now I can do tons of buns! For a lot of thick haired people tailbone length is a magical length where many buns become possible.

I dont think youre a freak or you're doing it wrong I think you have really thick hair and it just wont hold without popping out. Maybe try LWB again when you get to waist

edit: this disc bun in May 2015

was done when my hair was this long

try this tutorial its a good one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iViNkltTb9Y
    Last edited by cat11; November 24th, 2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: addded pics
    ۞
    Lady Tyet, Weaver of the Endless Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    pixie/waist/happy
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Can anyone suggest a seller that makes a four prong fork that has 6" or more of functional space? The one pictured is 5.5".
    I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but just in case: I think a lot of sellers are open to making items with longer functional lengths if you request it as a custom order. I've had pretty good luck with this. So I think of it more as an issue of finding a style of fork that works really well with your hair, and then seeing if the seller will make it as long as you need. Most of what's in stock is sized for average hair (presumably that's most common and what they sell the most of). There's nothing wrong with you or your hair that you can't make them work; they simply aren't designed for your thickness, so it's frustrating.

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard Wife View Post
    I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but just in case: I think a lot of sellers are open to making items with longer functional lengths if you request it as a custom order. I've had pretty good luck with this. So I think of it more as an issue of finding a style of fork that works really well with your hair, and then seeing if the seller will make it as long as you need. Most of what's in stock is sized for average hair (presumably that's most common and what they sell the most of). There's nothing wrong with you or your hair that you can't make them work; they simply aren't designed for your thickness, so it's frustrating.
    Oh goodness, I forgot all about special orders. Thank you so much for this.

Sorry, sometimes I get way too worked up and it sort of fogs my thinking.

*hugs*

Length
    pixie/waist/happy
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Oh goodness, I forgot all about special orders. Thank you so much for this.

Sorry, sometimes I get way too worked up and it sort of fogs my thinking.

*hugs*
    *hugs also* You're welcome!

I can understand the getting worked up. As you said earlier, it's really stressful--you want to grow your hair long because it's pretty/easier to take care of/all the other reasons, but it's thick, and it seems like everyone else can put up their hair, and then eventually you find out that because your hair is thick apparently you won't be able to whip it up like that until like hip or longer, but you need to put it up now, for work and life and also to protect it so it can grow, and it needs to be comfortable, why isn't anything comfortable, why is it so hard, etc etc etc. I know it makes it difficult for me to think straight when I start obsessing over that.

I finally got a job where I don't have to have my hair completely food-service contained, so I'm testing growing out my undercut and trying my full thickness again now that I know a few buns I can bunhawk to get me through. Surely bunhawk can get me through... I'm excited, but I'm also dreading it, haha. (I've made it to "fluffy pixie" stage and my surprise cowlick is nice and long and not lying down yet, and it parts the long hair on top so that it can be free! That's my life, that's my choices lol.)

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thanks lapushka but those buns do not work on me... as I have mentioned to you multiple times. I got an lwb to work once but it fell out in about a half hour and gave me a massive migraine.

Changing buns isn't going to work. From what I can tell my hair will need to be twice as long before I can do some of those.

You keep giving me the same advice and I keep telling you that it doesn't work.

It's starting to become pretty frustrating. It sort of makes me feel like some sort of freak. Like this keeps being suggested and it won't work because I'm some genetic... well... freak.
    I find this a little harsh. I'm sorry, but as understandable, I can't keep everyone's habits and uses in constant mind.

If you just want accessories with a longer FP, those will be easy enough to find. You just have to do a simple search on Etsy and voilą!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

If you like this hair fork otherwise, I'd ask Alpenlandkunst for a custom one! I bet he can make one of the size you need. He made me a custom hairtoy before (shorter than his usual ones) and the process was great. :) He is very helpful & friendly.

EDIT: oh, I see someone else already suggested it!
    Last edited by ynne; November 26th, 2020 at 07:38 AM.
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    buzz/39-TB/50-CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

This thread is such a treasure trove and convinced me to keep growing my hair. I'm at hip now and can finally do a couple of secure and comfortable buns/crown braids by splitting the thickness. When I figure out what the heck they are called (as I'm new to the lingo) I'll share their names as they are nothing fancy. I've grown out my hair mostly with dutch braids during the day and a lazy wrap bun on the very top of my head while I sleep (but it's never been secure). I am so, so, SO excited to be able to do more buns as I gain length and finally be able to use some of the hair toys I've collected over the years that have never quite worked for me.