Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't edit signature, also site is super slow

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Question Can't edit signature, also site is super slow

So basically the tl;dr of this thread is: don't use unicode characters or it'll break everything, feel free to disregard! Also the loading issue let up finally after several days of abysmal loading times.

Original post:

I've been running into an issue with trying to update my signature, the text box below it is empty/uneditable. When I refresh the page, it shows up for a split second and then disappears.

I have some screenshots about what I'm encountering (also yes, I use a dark mode extension on chrome and tried toggling that too, that wasn't the issue.)

Here is the code I see for a split second before I see it trying to load.

Loading, totally normal, which then turns into...

This. Totally missing the text, this is all in the course of 2 seconds. Getting these screenshots was a doozy because it happens so fast.

I tried clearing my cookies/cache, it didn't change anything. So it makes me think this is server side perhaps? Also the site has been really chugging along and slow to load, are these things related? Because as I was typing out this post and inserting the pictures, it was saying the page was unresponsive. This post took way longer than it should have

Is anyone else having issues with the site or is it just me

ETA: Now the site is loading faster for me, but the signature issue is still doing what I outlined above. This morning and last night I was waiting a full minute for threads to load, and now it seems to be loading quicker... for now. It's been off an on for a while now, but maybe it heard me
    Last edited by vampyyri; January 1st, 2023 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Troubleshot it and figured it out!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Can't edit signature, also site is super slow

You have to (just stating the very obvious here) click on "delete image" below there on the page, then save the page (I think) and then see what that does.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Just tried that and have the same issue, only difference is the picture is gone now too
    Last edited by vampyyri; January 1st, 2023 at 08:39 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Try uploading a new one, see what that does.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

If it's not the picture, is your code perhaps too long? I believe we're limited to 3 lines, which includes formatting.

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I was able to get it to work, but once I added [sigpic] to the top of the signature after editing it how I wanted it, it broke the same way again and completely deleted my signature. what is going on??!
    This is the first time I've ever encountered this in all of my years here, and I'm a chronic signature editor to add my monthly length shot.

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    If it's not the picture, is your code perhaps too long? I believe we're limited to 3 lines, which includes formatting.
    It doesn't even give me an error for it, it just straight up deletes the whole signature once I add the picture back in and I lose the whole thing to the ether. This is so weird
    I've always had to fudge the three line rule by going into the code and always got it to work properly... not this time, and nothing really changed other than replacing a line of it.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by vampyyri View Post
    It doesn't even give me an error for it, it just straight up deletes the whole signature once I add the picture back in and I lose the whole thing to the ether. This is so weird
    I've always had to fudge the three line rule by going into the code and always got it to work properly... not this time, and nothing really changed other than replacing a line of it.
    Weird... I think I've had problems related to the sigpic before and had to delete and reupload. Are you able to get the sigpic to show on its own? Maybe put that in first and add line by line to see where it breaks?

Other than that, maybe something to do with the size of the pic? Is it less than 400x200 or 683.6 KB? Although I don't think it would have gotten uploaded if it wasn't...

Site appears to be running normally for me.

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    Weird... I think I've had problems related to the sigpic before and had to delete and reupload. Are you able to get the sigpic to show on its own? Maybe put that in first and add line by line to see where it breaks?

Other than that, maybe something to do with the size of the pic? Is it less than 400x200 or 683.6 KB? Although I don't think it would have gotten uploaded if it wasn't...

Site appears to be running normally for me.
    I have my sigpic set as 355 x 200, and it's only 77.7KB, so I'm not sure if it's the picture itself doing it or something weird going on with the code.

I'm going to take your advice and remake it line by line in the coding mode and see where it breaks.

The site has since started loading properly for me, it must have heard me

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Ah-ha! I figured it out by going line by line, one of the symbols is technically unicode so it was breaking the whole thing. That was weird because I've used it before with no issues, but once I removed it, it suddenly worked again.

So basically the tl;dr of this thread is: don't use unicode characters or it'll break everything

Crisis averted, disregard... haha... nothing to see here...

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights