Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair oiling

Default Hair oiling

Hi! I've "tried" to oil my hair a few times in the past but have mostly failed probably due to using sticky oils straight out of the bottle. My hair does seem to like almond oil though, and I've always been surprised at how well it absorbs overnight. Added bonus is my hair looks pretty good the next day and I usually don't need conditioner which a plus going into static season. I have some JBCO but I remember that being a sticky one too.

Are they supposed to be thinned out with other oils? Are they supposed to be applied warm, massaged in, wrapped in a towel?

I kind of just work it through with my fingers and go to bed, then wash the next morning.

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Hair oiling

I am a newbie here, so will be following this to see what the more experienced and knowledgeable people have to say, but you might find this article (which those helpful people directed me to) useful: https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/search?q=oil. Though, does anyone know where hazelnut oil would fall in that ranking?

So far, almond oil is the only one that my hair seems to like; I use it straight out of the bottle, worked through with my fingers, sleep with it wrapped up on my head (to keep it warm), and then wash it out per my usual routine (conditioner only washing) the next morning. It has also helped my scalp during times when it was feeling dry, itchy, or had dandruff.

Babasu oil has been recommended to me (I have fine hair), but, sadly, I cannot find it where I live (same as palm oil). I avoid comedogenic oils that could cause skin issues (coconut, capric, avocado, mustard seed, and corn oil), and avoid canola due to the health concern surrounding it. Olive oil and sunflower oil, though fine for my skin, never wash out with a single shower, and leave my hair looking like an oil slick (my hair is not thick, so is weighed down easily).

I have never tried castor oil before, as I have read that it is quite drying. What are people's experiences with it?
    Last edited by Outmoded; November 29th, 2021 at 07:57 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Also, consider the method you use:

1/ on dry hair?
    2/ on wet hair?

And when...

After shampooing, or pre-shampooing.

There is also the oil rinse to consider, which you do after shampoo, before conditioner. The link to that is in my signature (just drops of oil, not a lot at all if you can't read through the thread for some reason).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Jaw/APL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/iii

You might need to try some different oils and see how they work for you. The article wiht the chart that Outmoded linked is great.

I thought the "high penetration" oils would be the best, but for me, coconut oil just makes my hair feel greasy and coated. It's also solid for much of the year in my climate, so that might have something to do with it. And jojoba oil is supposed to be "no penetration" but my hair seems to like it. My favorites are grapeseed and apricot kernel, which are listed as "some penetration." Whether you want more or less penetration is going to depend on how you want to use it.

I apply about a quarter-sized amount to mostly my ends when damp. Sometimes I use it for scalp massage before washing. But as Lapushka said, you might prefer different oils for different uses.

Type
    3a/M/i/ii

I think you really have to experiment. I like Jojoba oil (its not really an oil per se) and I am using Weleda Hair Oil right now. Its a teeny bottle so when I gain some length I will likely stop or maybe delegate it over as a scalp only oil. Maybe find someone on here with similar hair texture and see what they use.
    3/9/2015 decided to grow out gray Cut to pixie: 3/9/2015 BSL 4/2018, Cut to shoulder 6/2021. Started coloring again 2018. Currently growing out & going back to gray Goal length: waist+

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I’m still pretty nervous to put oil on my scalp, so I use oil on the lengths as pre poo, on occasion I’ll do the ROO Lapushka mentioned, and I usually put a couple drops on the length after washing after towel drying. The trick for me to get out the pre poo oil is to use conditioner to wash it out, then shampoo.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by missmyhair View Post
    Hi! I've "tried" to oil my hair a few times in the past but have mostly failed probably due to using sticky oils straight out of the bottle. My hair does seem to like almond oil though, and I've always been surprised at how well it absorbs overnight. Added bonus is my hair looks pretty good the next day and I usually don't need conditioner which a plus going into static season. I have some JBCO but I remember that being a sticky one too.

Are they supposed to be thinned out with other oils? Are they supposed to be applied warm, massaged in, wrapped in a towel?

I kind of just work it through with my fingers and go to bed, then wash the next morning.
    Have you tried babassu or camellia oil? My hair doesn't love other oils but can't live without one of these 2! And get this my scalp Hates any oil including my own! My hair need ROO and I'm using babassu.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I love JBCO, a few drops on soaking wet hair and then leave it in. Works for me. Its too sticky to put on dry hair

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Do you do this often or just as a prepoo?
    I think that if your hair is healthy, a heavy oiling is only appropriate pre shampoo. When I needed a prepoo oil, it was a lot of olive oil left on at least overnight or longer. I like a drop or 4 of jojoba oil if I oil either when hair is wet or dry. Olive oil works well on dry hair. My hair is fine with a hint of wave.

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

This article (which I recently found via the Hair Science Thread) is also quite helpful in regards to types of oils and potential build up:

https://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/...y-of-oils.html