Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to LWB?

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Alternative to LWB?

I'm looking for a bun that's similar to a LWB (lazy wrap bun) but nicer looking. I like the LWB for two main reasons: 1) I can secure it with a single stick. 2) Structurally it's pretty much just a ponytail that uses my own hair as the ponytail holder, which is good because that makes it a comfortable bun for me. (My scalp tends to be sensitive.) However, it looks like a wad of hair--not fancy at all. Are there other buns with the properties I like but that look a bit more elaborate?

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Alternative to LWB?

L-finity bun has always been a one-stick bun for me (back when the hair was long enough to do it) and it looks kinda elegant. I rooted out this youtube video link from an archive search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlyaRdVq40

Would something like that work for you?
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I find a looser nautilus can look nice. But I usually need a fork to hold it.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Epic
    Type
    2a/M/iii

A LWB was my go-to for years, but Spock buns are working better for me now and I feel like they look a bit fancier too.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

LWB is my bun too...it's just so comfortable! I like to put little braids throughout my hair; when placed correctly, they decorate a LWB nicely.

Length
    BSL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Haartraum on YouTube has a great video about making a LWB neater. She's also the namegiver for the Nessa bun, a LWB but instead of wrapping the hair upwards, it's downwards.
    Chin • APL • BSL • MBL •WL​ • HL • BCL • TBL • CL
    Lady Marie of the Scarlet Kin
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    I'm looking for a bun that's similar to a LWB (lazy wrap bun) but nicer looking. I like the LWB for two main reasons: 1) I can secure it with a single stick. 2) Structurally it's pretty much just a ponytail that uses my own hair as the ponytail holder, which is good because that makes it a comfortable bun for me. (My scalp tends to be sensitive.) However, it looks like a wad of hair--not fancy at all. Are there other buns with the properties I like but that look a bit more elaborate?
    Here's the simple bun wearer of all bun wearers speaking but my only bun was a LWB and then when I finally found that I could, I switched to a Nautilus, and never looked back. LWB, say what? Nope, it's a Nautilus all the way, all the day, every day, for me now!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can only try them one at a time because of shoulder problems (another reason I always default to the LWB), but I will definitely work my way through all of them.

akurah, it seems like the L-finity bun has the right properties, and I like the way it looks. However, I'm having trouble getting my thumb to hold the left loop of hair. Either my thumb is too short or that section of hair is too thick. I might look for some other instructions in case there's a different way to hang onto it. And practice some more, of course. ETA: This video has a slightly different way of wrapping the hair. Her hair has a lot of volume--even more than mine--so I think this is more similar to what I'm trying to hold onto.

lapis_lazuli, your little braids sound cute!
    Last edited by physicschick; June 15th, 2021 at 09:18 AM.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Here's the simple bun wearer of all bun wearers speaking but my only bun was a LWB and then when I finally found that I could, I switched to a Nautilus, and never looked back. LWB, say what? Nope, it's a Nautilus all the way, all the day, every day, for me now!
    I also switched to Team Nautilus a few years ago. For me it holds super comfortably with a single stick and I can vary the look pretty substantially by varying height/position, how tight/loose, making it sleek/messy, etc. I also like how low impact it is to make because I really don't enjoy hair fussing at all.

I add an extra quarter to half twist to the base just before inserting the stick to get more volume pouf - just personal preference on the look and I find that helps it hold.
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    0"/35"/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I believe the disc bun has the properties you're looking for. I'm huge fan of that one myself. If you want to go even fancier with it you could try out the three-strand disc bun, though that one takes two sticks. There's also a four-strand one I learned how to do here, but am having trouble locating the post about it. Basically you just make a disc bun around a ponytail and then make that ponytail into a second disc bun directly on top of the first one (or you can just leave it as a ponytail).