Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction post

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Introduction post

Hi everyone!

I am a long-time lurker who has learned so much about hair care from this site for over 15 years. I never needed to interact/ask questions before because I'm not very social (sorry! ) and I prefer to read, then try things on my own. But now my hair suddenly requires snowflake-level care and I am so lost and need help. I can't use any of the products, techniques, or even hair accessories that I used to.

I have lost half of my hair, the texture changed, the curl patterns have changed, and I get an overgrowth of yeast (malassezia) if I don't do an exact and very limited regimen. I still haven't figured out how to properly moisturize my hair. I can't use hair accessories unless they are very lightweight and don't pull at all, or I get a headache. I can't even do a ponytail! I used to have heavy Ficcare clips and everything.

My hair looks like garbage so I cut it into a pixie last year. It is now just past shoulder-length.

Hopefully I can not just get help, but help others with the hair knowledge that I picked up from these forums over the years and from when I used to have long, beautiful hair. If anyone has questions about yeast/fungal issues, I can definitely contribute a lot of knowledge!

Thank you for reading my long introduction!

Length
    10/23+/fun

Default Re: Introduction post

Hi and good luck with moving forward. There are many here that know much more than I, so I defer to them.

O.R.
    Profile pic from a couple years ago(ahem)...

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hi secret soup,
    Sorry to hear of your plight. As a former yeast grower myself lol let me guess, you read stretching your washes was a good thing for longhairs right? I read that too, somewhere on the internet I forget where , and actually tried it with distastrous results . Ketoconazole and ultimately boric acid/dish soap were my scalp's salvation though my length suffered a temporary setback I'm sure. Things are much better now that I've settled into a twice weekly wash routine and keep some products, namely oils and some conditioners, which are great for the lengths, away from my scalp. Just my 0.02 USD
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Hi, welcome! I hope you can get your hair troubles sorted out, there are some very knowledgeable people here.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!

I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis. I use Nizoral 2% when it gets bad, there's just no trying other things when it's "that time". I need to tackle it when I need to tackle it.

Can I ask what your routine is like? Products, the lot. Maybe I can help!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Hi there and welcome! another member here who struggles with a yeast overgrowth (malassezia) its taken a few years to try to get the balance just about right, different things work for some and don't for others all trial and error,hope to see you about LHC!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
    Hi and good luck with moving forward. There are many here that know much more than I, so I defer to them.

O.R.
    Thank you!!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Hi secret soup,
    Sorry to hear of your plight. As a former yeast grower myself lol let me guess, you read stretching your washes was a good thing for longhairs right? I read that too, somewhere on the internet I forget where , and actually tried it with distastrous results . Ketoconazole and ultimately boric acid/dish soap were my scalp's salvation though my length suffered a temporary setback I'm sure. Things are much better now that I've settled into a twice weekly wash routine and keep some products, namely oils and some conditioners, which are great for the lengths, away from my scalp. Just my 0.02 USD
    My yeast problems started once I had a full hysterectomy in 2018. 2 months later, everything went belly up!

I have been able to keep it under control with store-brand Head & Shoulders and Monistat for my skin flare-ups. I have to wash once at least every 24 hours or the itching starts...

I also have a very strict regimen about what can go on my hair and face, including having to sleep on a fresh cotton pillowcase every night. Oils and 99.999% of conditioners are right out! This site saved my skin/hair: https://simpleskincarescience.com/pi...lassezia-cure/

Thanks for your reply!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Thank you! I have always admired your hair over the years!

Length
    SL/WL/CL
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Awesome, welcome. I just joined, too. It is such a journey of getting to know our changing selves! Just when I think I've got something figured out, there everything goes changing again. Haha. What a wealth of knowledge a unique yeast overgrowth must have brought you. And having had long hair before that. I would probably feel pretty confused about what was up and what was down. But that's just me.