Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsure if I should give CO a try...

Default Re: Unsure if I should give CO a try...

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Begs the question. What did you use in college days, Starbunny. You said it's 11 years ago, and I don't think they had the marketed "CO-washes" back then. Just plain old conditioner. If you are planning on going back to it, try and use the same products you did then. Sometimes the products matter!
    I don't think they did, either. I'm still trying to figure out where those came from. AFAIK, a CO wash was a long-hair thing (I assume not just an LHC thing, though), and then I started seeing commercial "co-wash" products and seeing other people talking about it (and spent a lot of time going, "IT'S NOT CO-WASH LIKE YOU HAVE A COWORKER OR A CODEPENDENCY! IT'S C-O WASH, AS IN CONDITIONER-ONLY!" lol). Where did all these companies get it and suddenly decide it was a good idea? What's in these special "co wash" products that isn't in the regular light, cheap conditioners people have been using for years?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I don't think they did, either. I'm still trying to figure out where those came from. AFAIK, a CO wash was a long-hair thing (I assume not just an LHC thing, though), and then I started seeing commercial "co-wash" products and seeing other people talking about it (and spent a lot of time going, "IT'S NOT CO-WASH LIKE YOU HAVE A COWORKER OR A CODEPENDENCY! IT'S C-O WASH, AS IN CONDITIONER-ONLY!" lol). Where did all these companies get it and suddenly decide it was a good idea? What's in these special "co wash" products that isn't in the regular light, cheap conditioners people have been using for years?
    A very very mild surfactant, mostly.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

A very very mild surfactant, mostly.
    My understanding was that a surfactant is how conditioners clean, though?

(I mean, I know: companies saw they could market it and of course had to make a "special" product and most people won't realize they can grab their generic V05/Suave/White Rain off the shelf for less than a buck...)
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    My understanding was that a surfactant is how conditioners clean, though?

(I mean, I know: companies saw they could market it and of course had to make a "special" product and most people won't realize they can grab their generic V05/Suave/White Rain off the shelf for less than a buck...)
    Surfactants are cleansing ingredients such as sulfates and milder things. The cleaning power of conditioners comes from emulsifiers, which make it possible for water and oil to mix.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Surfactants are cleansing ingredients such as sulfates and milder things. The cleaning power of conditioners comes from emulsifiers, which make it possible for water and oil to mix.
    Never worked for me though, or... I'm too oily. I need a surfactant. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Hm. I was told once-- I think here-- that conditioners are surfactants and that's how they clean.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Surfactant appears to be a general purpose word and includes emulsifiers. Wikipedia.

Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension (or interfacial tension) between two liquids, between a gas and a liquid, or between a liquid and a solid. Surfactants may act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, or dispersants.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Meh, maybe bad word choice on my part. I always thought, mistakenly so it now appears, that conditioners had no detergents, hence no surfactants.

Meh, maybe bad word choice on my part. I always thought, mistakenly so it now appears, that conditioners had no detergents, hence no surfactants.
    Whereas I'm pretty sure that when it was explained to me all that time ago, the person said shampoos had detergents, whereas conditioners had surfactants, and that was the difference...

Length
    Hip/CL+/Lazy
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Hi all, I was going to write a big geeky post on surfactants, as I’ve been doing a lot of research recently while making my own shampoos and conditioners. But then I thought, this post explains it really well: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...-care-products

TLDR? Basically, both detergents and conditioners are surfactants (ie break the surface tension of water & attract oils & help to remove dirt that way). However detergents/shampoos are anionic (similar charge to hair) and so attract those things that cling to hair and then wash away. Conditioners are cationic and so tend to bind more to hair (think like magnets), and so only the excess product tends to wash stuff away…some may still be left behind.
    Last edited by PeonyBlue; June 11th, 2021 at 02:50 AM.
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!