Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    19/19/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default HI! I'm new and Need Advice!

Hello everybody!
    I had a horrible experience with an old blow dryer that ruined my hair and had to cut it SO short
    As of April 4th, my hair measured 19 inches after my boyfriend helped me give it a shape. Pretty much a U shaped collarbone length.
    But there are 2 pieces at the crown which are 1-2 inches long.
    Do you think I'll be able to grow it out till BSL in a year? Will the super short pieces look like layers or something? (I tried to blend them that way)
    My goal is to grow healthy, thick hair faster than average.
    Thank you

Length
    19/19/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: HI! I'm new and Need Advice!

My ultimate goal is the length I had before quarantine which was HIP/ TAILBONE (lost lots of hair due to stress this past year and cut it many times)
    Maybe in 3 years... 🤞

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hair.disaster View Post
    Hello everybody!
    I had a horrible experience with an old blow dryer that ruined my hair and had to cut it SO short
    As of April 4th, my hair measured 19 inches after my boyfriend helped me give it a shape. Pretty much a U shaped collarbone length.
    But there are 2 pieces at the crown which are 1-2 inches long.
    Do you think I'll be able to grow it out till BSL in a year? Will the super short pieces look like layers or something? (I tried to blend them that way)
    My goal is to grow healthy, thick hair faster than average.
    Thank you
    It's difficult to know where BSL lies on me so I'm guessing you need about 9" to reach your goal collarbone. If you're shorter than I perhaps less. Unfortunately you have virtually no control over how fast your hair grows out. Your fastest is if you don't cut it. I'd bet closer to 18 months and you'll see BSL.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Welcome! Start reading It's all here.

And there is no magic pill, if that's what you came here for (didn't we all at one point?). Patience and time and hiding the scissors, if you need to.

Length
    19/19/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    Welcome! Start reading It's all here.

And there is no magic pill, if that's what you came here for (didn't we all at one point?). Patience and time and hiding the scissors, if you need to.
    No magic pill?! WHAT?! 😭😅😂
    Jk hehe I just wondered if scalp massages, the inversion method or taking vitamins for deficiency are worth anything
    Btw I gifted the scissors to my brother as I'm planning on 1 year without cutting anything 🤞

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!

How hot was that blow dryer. Let that be *the* tool that causes the least damage, if used properly. You can't switch it on the hottest setting and expect nice results, though. But the normal rule is, if you can hold your hand in the airflow and it does not "burn", then that air is great for the hair as well, and won't harm a thing!

OTOH, if you are using straighteners or curling irons, then the blow dryer is the least of your worries.

And yes, there is no magic pill. Most people will grow about half an inch a month, on average, some less, some a little more. But say like growing 2 inches a month? No way, no, just... nope.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I can't say if you will or you won't get to BSL, but I did armpit to BSL in about a year to a year and a half or so? But a year from now it is totally possible for your hair to be noticeably and significantly longer, best of luck!
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Length
    19/19/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Welcome!

How hot was that blow dryer. Let that be *the* tool that causes the least damage, if used properly. You can't switch it on the hottest setting and expect nice results, though. But the normal rule is, if you can hold your hand in the airflow and it does not "burn", then that air is great for the hair as well, and won't harm a thing!

OTOH, if you are using straighteners or curling irons, then the blow dryer is the least of your worries.

And yes, there is no magic pill. Most people will grow about half an inch a month, on average, some less, some a little more. But say like growing 2 inches a month? No way, no, just... nope.
    The problem was that the back of the hair dryer broke off and 3 chunks of hair got stuck in before I could turn it off. Of course I had to cut off all the burnt lengths too
    It frustrates me as I use it only twice every month when it's cold outside and didn't expect this to happen
    Btw I don't use any heat styling tools or damaging hair products and I'm planning on growing out all natural without cuts for a year

Length
    Pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

The problem was that the back of the hair dryer broke off and 3 chunks of hair got stuck in before I could turn it off. Of course I had to cut off all the burnt lengths too
    It frustrates me as I use it only twice every month when it's cold outside and didn't expect this to happen
    Btw I don't use any heat styling tools or damaging hair products and I'm planning on growing out all natural without cuts for a year
    OUCH! Oh, my, I've had a few hairs singed that way. So sorry that happened to you.

I second what everyone else here has said. It is all going to depend on your natural hair growth rate. There is no way to manipulate that. You are better off putting your energy into eating healthy and treating your hair gently. Staying away from the scissors for a year is an excellent idea! There are many resources here. Explore a little and experiment. Good luck!
    Pix~Bob~CBL~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBL~Waist~Hip~TBL~CL...We'll see
    WO/SO due to scalp hating EVERYTHING! Slowly regrowing from a massive shed and trimming often to keep the ends healthy.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Ooooh yikes! That is terrible!

I diffuse weekly but my mom always says, if something happens, pull the plug out asap! Because I get the diffuser head so close to my scalp, right, she's a little... worried about that. But a dryer is a good & great tool to have, and you don't need to be afraid of it, generally, if it holds up well that is. What brand was it.

I have used a Braun in the past, and now a Babyliss (w/Italian motor). They're both great. And they have very secure backs (I always pay attention to that).

If you use it cool/warm (not burning), that is an *awesome* tool to have. I guess I am one of those people who does not want wet hair 8+ hours. Well, you know. I towel dry about 30 minutes, then I airdry 2-4H and then all I need is a quick diffuse of about 5 minutes before it's near to fully dry (roots dry, lengths a little damp'ish).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)