Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather haircare?

Length
    bsl/wl+/clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Default Cold weather haircare?

I'm going to Minnesota for school in the fall. As a Pacific Northwesterner I am used to rain, but not extreme cold. I already plan to wash my hair in the evenings so I can avoid going outside with wet hair and having it freeze, but what other things do you cold-climate-dwellers do to keep your hair happy and safe from the brutalities of subzero winter?
    Thanks xx

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Cold weather haircare?

I just put my hair up and throw a beanie over it.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Congrats on the new school!

I already have a headscarf on most of the time, anyway, but when I'm living in cold places it always goes under a headscarf or warm hat. Secure hair, warm head, best of all worlds.

I find I don't enjoy wearing braids as often in the winter as I'm liable to get them stuck inside my coat in an uncomfortable way, or caught on the zipper. Crown braids/coronet thingies are very nice for fitting under a bulkier hat, though.

In terms of the condition of your hair, I would think the humidity shift might be rougher than the temperature, honestly? At any rate, something to keep in mind re: moisture retention, frizz, and the like.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I'm gonna second the scarf, especially as you can also pull it across your face to help your nose warm!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Not going out with wet hair, as you mentioned in your initial post, is probably the most important factor.

My haircare routine actually doesn't change throughout the year. The only problem period is in the spring when the temperature can get warmer abruptly - that's when my hair gets dry and staticky. Cold weather per se I don't think is an issue, but there might be some individual differences there.

Perhaps you'll want to wear more buns than anything else in order to protect your hair from rubbing against heavy winter clothing.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

If you oil your hair, coconut oil doesn't work very well when it's cold. It freezes.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

You will find that in very northern climes, people dress for conditions, not Madison Avenue fads. Beanies are really common, hoods are common, but fancy hairdos are not, at least not in winter.

Keeping your hair bunned, then covered as well when you're out, will protect the ends.

I braide or put my hair in a bun and put a hat or head scarf when going out. Never leave your hair out in the cold air, it will dry your hair and weaken it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cutie-pie View Post
    I braide or put my hair in a bun and put a hat or head scarf when going out. Never leave your hair out in the cold air, it will dry your hair and weaken it.
    I don't think I ever put a hat on, yes, sometimes my calorimetry, and my hair is just fine!

Where do you get the bolded part?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Crikey I always cover my hair in cold weather! When I was a student I had to wait for nearly an hour for the bus and my hair would get icicles on it

Cold air dries out my skin too, my hands will crack after quite minimal exposure. I don’t think it’s controversial to say that it would have the same effect on hair? Cold air is more drying because it can’t hold as much moisture as warm air.

The other thing I bear in mind is the drying effect of having the heating on indoors. I need to use a drop of oil as well as leave in conditioner to try to stop my hair drying out so much.

I also wear a satin scarf under my hat. One day I might put satin lining in my hat but this works for the time being. Any other material in contact with my hair dries it out.

As Ylva says, keeping the hair up away from winter clothing makes a huge difference too.