Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How often do you detangle your hair?

Default Re: How often do you detangle your hair?

I detangle once a day everyday and it takes me about twenty minutes.

Length
    SL/?/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

can you detangle your hair TOO much? I do it about twice a day but I find myself doing it about 5 times if I wear my hair down
    ☼ Cut bleach out to CBL 08/22

Length
    SL/?/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    If I'm not going anywhere, I'll leave a braid in for 24 hours, and detangle when I redo it once a day. If I'm being lazy, I'll go 2-5 days without taking out the braid. But lately I've been bunning during the day, so then I detangle twice a day, whenever I go from braid to bun and bun to braid.

So, I guess anywhere from twice a day to twice a week.
    teach me how to wear a braid to sleep and wake up with it looking tidy :O
    ☼ Cut bleach out to CBL 08/22

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    can you detangle your hair TOO much? I do it about twice a day but I find myself doing it about 5 times if I wear my hair down
    Yes you can as it’s getting handled more so it’s like an overuse injury for your hair. That’s the point of the retentive styles like buns and braids, less overall mechanical damage.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I detangle in the morning every single day, and at night before I go to bed. I usually put in it a half-bun or 2 braids.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Still detangling with a brush once a week, before the wash, then after the wash (after hair comes out the towel). I use a wet brush knock-off both times. Rest of the week I finger detangle by separating strands and getting the sheds out (by moving my hands over the section of hair).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixie/waist/happy
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    I suspect it depends on your hair, like so much else. I see that I'm in the minority on this thread, detangling/combing my hair pretty much any time my hair is down and I walk by my comb and go "eh why not." My hair is pretty resistant to most mechanical damage, so I don't tend to get breakage from detangling or shed more hairs on days I detangle more. A lot of other people on the forum have found this is not the case for them!

So for me, there's not really such a thing as too much (unless I'm detangling wet, which seemed like a very logical habit until I realized it made me lose more hair, even though it really works great for others!). For other people, definitely yes. So it'll take some observation of your hair to figure out how much detangling is okay for you.

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I used to 8+ times a day. I used to think if it wasn't perfectly brushed, it was messy. Now I do 1-3. Sometimes I won't on certain days

Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Until I reached several inches past waist length, I didn't really understand what "detangling" was. I could always run my fingers or a comb through my hair easily, and the sheds would just fall out all over the place. I didn't know why some LHC members spent so long detangling each day - were they habitually riding motorcycles, their fine hair streaming behind them majestically in the wind?

Needless to say, I get it now. My hair has got longer, wavier, and coarser with age. Now I finger detangle, BBB, and sometimes oil before bed (usually bunned these days). Also prior to washing. Takes 5-10min.
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

Length
    BSL/FTL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

If it is a wash day, then before washing and after drying it. That takes the longest, easily over 10 minutes.
    When I am not washing, I detangle in the morning when I take it out of the braid - max 2 minutes, since it was contained. And then before bed and the time depends on how I was wearing the hair during the day - if it was down, I am probably back to over 10 minutes.