Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New and hair journey staring at pixie

Length
    pixi/SL/tail
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default New and hair journey staring at pixie

The beginning of my hair journal is going to be documented here, as I would like to see that I'm making progress ( I don't feel like I am).

Hair Journal timeline.

November 17, 2018. Drove to my hairdressers with a vision in my head to have my hair cut to my shoulders. As I got closer and closer, I had this thought to go to a pixie length.
    As soon as I arrived I sat in the chair and my hairdresser once again commented on my hair. 'We need to fix you up again'. My hair by the way was beautiful. Not long but getting there. It was thick, dark brown and to my underarm area (so long-ish). All of a sudden without thinking, I announced to the hairdresser that I wanted it short. I showed her a few pictures from my hair wants on pinterest, which wasn't a pixie, but on the short side of a bob. She then said I was going to be her second client that day who wanted it all off. (All off I thought??? I don't want it all off-did she see the picture). Then she came back to me with her phone of a photo of her last client after. She had hacked all the clients hair off to the scalp with 1cm spikes bits everywhere. 'like this?' she asked. 'its nice don't you agree'. I didn't want to be rude so I said It was nice on the lady but explained I wanted more that that. Again I showed her a picture and a few more. After having my wash she sat me in the chair. She took a hold of a pice of my long locks from the side and cut my hair next to the scalp. 'Um I hope that's not too short' I said. She had a look of horror and replied ' I hope your joking, there's no going back now'. And so for the next 30 minutes was a blur of the lady just hacking into my hair like a crazy maniac releasing some pent up emotions. I was left with very short hair.
    I will find a picture and insert later.
    That's it for now.
    A scary story for those who love long hair.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: New and hair journey staring at pixie

Wow, that's an awful story. I hope your hair will grow back fast, and - welcome to the forum
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    pixi/SL/tail
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Wow, that's an awful story. I hope your hair will grow back fast, and - welcome to the forum
    Thank you and yes I agree it wasn't pleasant. I will NEVER do that again, it is technically my fault because I always knew that hairdresser didn't really like doing my thick hair. I need to find a hairdresser that I trust in the future. But for now, I am wearing a long of headbands, hats and anything to take the focus away from my hair.

The next day I went to work. I work at a school and kids are non forgiving and can be brutally honest. There are some people that can look so beautiful with short hair. Not me I found out. One student told me it looked like someone had mown over my head with a lawn mower. Haha I actually couldn't have agreed more. The constant 'why did you do it' questions came at me. And I decided to swallow my pride and not care about what I looked like for once in my life. I also discovered an inner confidence and stopped caring what others thought. I also discovered how rude people can be and how others can judge based off of ones looks (something I had not had to deal with since primary and secondary school where I was called 'ugly' all the time). I was also not being paranoid either. This was a serious topic amongst others and I thought at that point that people should stop the gossiping in the tea room, it's very childish. One staff member (male) had decided he didn't even want to look at me anymore and stopped talking to me altogether. Well good- I now had conversions with more positive people.

And so there are some great things that have come from this experience. Firstly- I learned to know what you want and what looks good on you. Secondly-that at the end of the day its all superficial and if I decided to cut it short and like it, well that's my decision and no one else. Thirdly- I realised that I must have cared too much about what others thought of me, but now I don't. The reason why I want to grow my hair to very long is for myself.

And so, ladies and gentlemen who want to grow their hair ( or not) I feel like sometimes you have to go through things to learn a lesson. The lesson was great.....now if I could just get my hair to grow...

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

That's why I never go to salons... I had a short bob in November which I cut myself.
    I hope your hair grows back fast.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

Welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry you had that experience. Salons are not my favourite places to go because most do not respect their clients' wishes. Well, this is the right place to start growing out your hair again. All the best
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Length
    pixi/SL/tail
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It seems a lot of people that are on here cut their own hair. I don't know if I can trust myself. I would probably start with a trim and then before long I would decide I was the world best hairdresser and making my hair look 'even' would be a challenge. It would be like Edwards scissor hands meets Mr Bean... Actually I did once cut my own hair and decided to give myself some 'bangs'. The next day I woke up to a mullet. Not a good mullet either.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My first self-trim was without any instruction, just winging it on my own. I ended up with an extreme V cut that I hadn't intended! On the other hand, hairdressers usually chopped off about 4 inches, so I wasn't thrilled with that option either. For a few years I did return to hairdressers, then I switched to asking good friends trim my hair. It took learning about the self-trim methods on this forum for me to try my hand at self-trimming again, and that time I had success and have been doing that ever since.

The first time doing anything often comes out... imperfect, shall we say? I wouldn't let your first try scare you off. The key I think is starting off small - cut off far less than you think you'll want, then go from there. Also, doing it yourself means if you're not sure, you can put down the scissors and look at it again the next day and see if you really do want to cut off a bit more or not, you don't have to decide if it's perfect right in one shot and risk going overboard .

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a horrible experience. I have to say, I am really impressed by your attitude! Looking for the good in the experience.

I had a pixie cut (voluntarily!) for a few years and I loved it. I agree with you that you can grow a lot of confidence from having hair that short (although that won’t be the case for everyone). I learned a lot about my hair as it grew back out too - especially about cowlicks!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Not another one!

I'm sorry but that's obviously not the first hairdresser story gone wrong we've had here.

You're in the right place if you want growth.

Patience, good clean eating habits, and you'll get there.

Happy growing & welcome to the forum!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Gosh what an experience and one i have experienced before,but before you know it your hair will grow to great lengths..welcome here