View Poll Results: Do you care about the bumps in your hair when you put it back in a ponytail or bun?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

44 57.89%
  • No!

23 30.26%
  • Cheese!

9 11.84%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys care about hair bumps when you pull your hair up?

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Default Do you guys care about hair bumps when you pull your hair up?

My hair is curly and there's quite simply nothing I can do, I always have hair bumps and that's life, but when I see women and other longhaired entities with straight hair pull their hair back they brush and brush and huff and puff when they see the bumps. Anyone else like me? Just go with the flow and leave em'?
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you guys care about hair bumps when you pull your hair up?

I never really think of it, but I think that's one of the few perks of being curly haired - it's hard to notice any new bumps because there are so many bumps to begin with!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Yeah, I hate if I have bumps. I'll re-do it if I see one.

My daughter is a curly and there's no smoothing the bumps. I actually love the loose, voluminous, romantic look she gets when I pull her hair back.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Yes I do. especially if that is my style for the day. I have 2c/3a hair.
    Not often but I will do a high pony. Arianna Style or a tight sleek donut bun.
    I hate lumps underneath . I can't even see them but I can feel a bump or a loop underneath around the crown or base of the pony. If that even makes sense. It drives me crazy. If I am wearing my hair up I always brush out that area really well. Boar bristle brushes are the best for this and smoothing all the visible lumps. Then I use product to prevent fly aways from coming out. I also brush down the baby hairs around my front hair line.
    If I am doing a looser messy bun I still can't stand the bumpy feeling of not being brushed smooth at the scalp.

Length
    17.5/22.5/27.5
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I live with the bumps. There’s no getting rid of them, my hair grows in the direction it grows and I can minimize bumps by paying attention to how I section hair for French braids. Or the position of a bun.

But there are always a few and I don’t have the patience to mess with combs and getting a snug to my scalp style. If I need bumps to be less visible, I let things be looser. More volume around my face means the hair changes direction further from the scalp and the bumps are hairs protesting the change in direction.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I never comb/brush my hair during the week (weekly washer). I only brush right before a wash, finger detangle during the wash, and damp detangle (out the towel) for the last time before styling.

Bumps are the least of my worries. I just gather my hair up every day for a nautilus, my go-to bun, and yeah. I don't mind.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

My hair has a lot of texture. It's never been smooth. At it's neatest there's hundreds of little bumps sometimes looking like tiny waves in a pond on a windy day. That's my hair, I've known no other appearance. I think it's pretty.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I used to care a LOT and couldn't stand any bumps at all. Now I still like the top and sides to be relatively smooth but with discovering texture I've learned to appreciate the personality of hair doing what it wants ... I guess I still do care, but MUCH less than I used to. I used to have OCD and bumps were something I really couldn't bear, but now I don't mind that there will always be a bump or two at the back because that's how my hair grows. If it decides it's too fluffy on top to be smoothed back by hand then I'll leave it to it. But I think part of it is also because my hair grows at the top and sides of my head in such a way that it can usually be smoothed back very easily, it doesn't really grow forwards, so all my life the expectation has been that it will be smooth. Whereas if it were more textured or it grew forwards or in some other way that meant it couldn't be fully smoothed, maybe the expectation would have been less, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairkay View Post
    My hair has a lot of texture. It's never been smooth. At it's neatest there's hundreds of little bumps sometimes looking like tiny waves in a pond on a windy day. That's my hair, I've known no other appearance. I think it's pretty.
    I have to say I adore seeing very curly hair smoothed back with the ripples of texture (I don't know if I'm explaining it very well at all), it's just something I would never be able to replicate on my own hair and I find the pattern very beautiful. I think also part of it is enjoying knowing that the wearer has their natural hair, which always makes me feel happy as someone who now fully appreciates the beauty and variety of hair in its natural state.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Pixie/Chin/WL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Bumps drive me crazy when I pin my hair back/up, though I'll put up with little ones sometimes.

Type
    1b/F/ii

My hair is fine and smooth. If I make a high ponytail with the help of the brush, I like the hair near the scalp to be bump-free. But if I’m making a bun with a hairstick or bobby pins, then the bumps don’t bother me because the style isn’t as ”sleek” as the high brushed pony.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL CL
    O
    n a Long Hair Journey since 10/2018